Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Shipping to Canada

I have single card to send to Canada (low value). What is the best cost route to ship a single graded card up North?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• Options
    First Class International via USPS.

Graded card (3oz) = 6.93 tracked.

EDIT: If really low value and you don't care about tracking, you can get Canada stamps ($1.15, I think) at your local post office.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I stopped by the PO this am. Looks like $2.71 to send a 3oz padded envelope with no tracking info.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that you could do it that cheap. For a graded card, I always use a padded envelope and ship it as "package" because of the thickness. That costs about $6-7 depending on weight, like charrigan said. Did you ship it as a letter, large envelope, or what? I do a lot of hockey stuff, so I'd love to ship cheaper to Canada if I am missing some cheaper way.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you. I stopped by the PO this am. Looks like $2.71 to send a 3oz padded envelope with no tracking info. >>

You can get tracking if you do it on stamps.com and the package to get it at that price, must be less than 3/4 inch thick.
    I send 1 PSA card packages to Canada all the time with no problem
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    For some reason, First Class International isn't offered at the physical PO. I highly recommend that you produce a label using eBay or, if not possible, USPS.com. 99% of shipping to Canada problems are generated from people insisting on going to the post office to mail their item.
  • Options

<< <i>For some reason, First Class International isn't offered at the physical PO. I highly recommend that you produce a label using eBay or, if not possible, USPS.com. 99% of shipping to Canada problems are generated from people insisting on going to the post office to mail their item. >>

EBay does not give this option either. I only get it through stamps.com
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    eBay most definitely offers First Class International to Canada. 3oz tracked is $6.93.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    My bet is the majority of US sellers do not know this. Most of the cheap non graded cards sold by US sellers on ebay have a $7 shipping charge to Canada and that can be a low amount. I have emailed several US sellers asking why they are charging over $30 to ship one graded card to Canada and believe it or not some seem to have no idea that that is the charge. Something to do with ebay global shipping? Others just respond with "that's what it costs me".
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My bet is the majority of US sellers do not know this. Most of the cheap non graded cards sold by US sellers on ebay have a $7 shipping charge to Canada. >>

I agree with this!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>eBay most definitely offers First Class International to Canada. 3oz tracked is $6.93. >>

I was talking about the cheaper service that runs $2.50-$2.71
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My bet is the majority of US sellers do not know this. Most of the cheap non graded cards sold by US sellers on ebay have a $7 shipping charge to Canada. >>

I agree with this! >>

Agreed
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    Tsalems--do you know the name of the service? It is tracked? Does it have a weight or size limit (i.e. allow a standard bubble mailer)?
  • Options

<< <i>Tsalems--do you know the name of the service? It is tracked? Does it have a weight or size limit (i.e. allow a standard bubble mailer)? >>

I am on the road right now but can PM you this info later in the day.

I ship to Canada almost every day and use stamps.com when shipping small amount of raw cards and/or 1 graded card.

I do know the limit on size. It can't be more than 3/4 inch thick
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    And yes it is tracked which is , as we all know the important part
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm surprised that you could do it that cheap. For a graded card, I always use a padded envelope and ship it as "package" because of the thickness. That costs about $6-7 depending on weight, like charrigan said. Did you ship it as a letter, large envelope, or what? I do a lot of hockey stuff, so I'd love to ship cheaper to Canada if I am missing some cheaper way. >>

I told the PO I wanted to ship a 3oz package in a Padded envelope to Canada and it would be larger than 'letter'. They advised the $2.71 route for the best cost since I was not planning to track the shipment. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    First Class Mail International Large Envelope is the name of the service.

Max weight is 4lbs
    Max thickness is 3/4 inch
    Service time varies but find it take anywhere from 7-10 days
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    And what do you do with the customs form if you are not going to the physical PO?
  • Options

<< <i>And what do you do with the customs form if you are not going to the physical PO? >>

When you print the label off stamps.com, there is a spot on the label for customs which shows value, description etc
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options

<< <i>And what do you do with the customs form if you are not going to the physical PO? >>

eBay's label automatically generates the customs form on the label for you. Much, much easier that way. You just sign and date!

I am *sure* that eBay offers First Class International Large Envelope. Next time I get a purchase from Canada, I will post and report back about what they charge for the service. I don't use Stamps.com because you have to pay, right? PP shipping (labels for off eBay stuff) + USPS's site has gotten the job done for me. But, $3 shipping to Canada would be a game-changer...

Also, people from Canada, I feel your pain. $7 isn't cheap. But, as an American buying from Canada, the price of tracked stuff from Canada Post is equally, if not more, absurd! It's the price of doing business!
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    can anyone offer any updates on best way to ship a graded card to Canada with tracking that meets ebay requirements?

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    If I'm not mistaken, around $7 is the lowest you can spend to be protected for items under $750 to Canada, since you only need Sig-Con on items over $750 now.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    1st class international and print the label through ebay: $6.93 and it is tracked and covered.
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses!

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    Use PayPal Ship Now to do it for under $3.

Best way to find it is to google "PayPal Ship Now". There will be a link. It should look like a basic shipping form. You need to manually enter the address from the eBay receipt. First Class International, Large Envelope, usually 3oz. You fill out the customs form (Sports Card, enter value, United States). Then print. You can print directly from PP. You'll get emailed a receipt with a tracking number. Copy that and add it in the eBay system.

For me, the URL is:

https://www.paypal.com/shipnow

Link

PP links are really wonky, so you may need to google it to get a non-broken link.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    wouldn't it just be easier for everybody if you guys simply became part of Canada. image

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    I feel like my 2nd home is in Canada
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wouldn't it just be easier for everybody if you guys simply became part of Canada >>

You just want our snow! You can't have it, it is all our's! image
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    we have actually had a pretty good winter snow-wise. starting to pile up a bit now (southern Ontario) but nothing like the northeast usa has been getting this winter I guess. can't wait until my retirement so the missus and I can head down to florida in the winter.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    First of all, all Post Offices should be offering First Class International package rates. I don't know what PO you were at, but they blew it.

2nd, if one of you was charged $2.71 for a 3 oz bubble mailer, that was a mistake. a bubble mailer is not a flat, it is a package and you should have paid the package rate of $7.65.

3rd, for individual ungraded low value cards, I use a 6x8 photo mailer. This qualifies for a non-machinable 2 oz letter, and the postage to Canada is $1.36. Don't use a photo mailer larger than 6 1/8" inches high, or it will become a parcel. Tracking is not available for the $1.36 price, but for low value cards that is OK. I have mailed a lot of them this way without a problem.

If your local Post Office gives you a hassle about this, have them look in Section 101.1.1 of the DMM. I have mailed 100's of single cards to US locations in these photo mailers for 91 cents postage. I put the card in a top load, the top load in a sealed team bag, put in the invoice and it is ready to go.

(I have been with the Post Office since 1981 and a Postmaster since 1998.)

Rick

• Options

<< <i>2nd, if one of you was charged $2.71 for a 3 oz bubble mailer, that was a mistake. a bubble mailer is not a flat, it is a package and you should have paid the package rate of $7.65. >>

Rick,

Correct me if i'm wrong...

You can use a bubble mailer as a flat as long as the package is NOT more than 3/4 inches thick. Any package more than 3/4 thick can not be shipped as a flat and must ship the higher rate.
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    Tom,

I am no expert, but that was my understanding as well.
  • Options
    Hi Guys,
    You are correct. A bubble mailer can be a flat, as long as it has uniform thickness and is less than 3/4" thick. But think about the way that flats are handled. They go through high speed flats sorting machines, so they need to be flexible when they go through the rollers on the curved parts of the machines. I think they are susceptible to damage. If you mail bubble mailers as a parcels, they go through totally different process that is less likely to damage your card.

Rick
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wouldn't it just be easier for everybody if you guys simply became part of Canada. image

eyebone >>

I think most of us here in Northern MI live more as Canadians than Americans anyway image