Home Sports Talk
Options

Why golf is different from any other sport

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not a lot of fans on this board, and I get that. But I think even the most casual follower of sports can appreciate this story. And for the record, this was not an anomaly; self-imposed penalties can and do happen from time to time. Guys on the PGA tour hold the game in such high regard that they will do things like this:

Link

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems his conscience was getting the better of him.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems his conscience was getting the better of him. >>

I concur, but there had to be more to it than that. In all likelihood there was some ambiguity involved, otherwise I have no doubt he would have disqualified himself much sooner. I didn't see the whiff, but I do know that a putter can make a microscopic move forward and send a ball that distance. Not to mention, there are far too many pairs of eyes on these guys for something detectable to slip through the cracks. A playing partner, a rules official, a spectator on the course, even a couch potato at home -- someone would have caught it much sooner. To me that says it was virtually impossible to determine whether or not he made an actual stroke, and it ultimately came down to him to answer that question. Who knows why it took almost a week, but end of day he did the right thing.