Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1986 Fleer Basketball Wax Case (currently on ebay)

Wasn't Steve Hart offering a grand for a peek at one of these recently? The boxes look pretty darn nice. 1986 Fleer Basketball Case

Anybody down for a group break?
Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
Jeff

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't Steve Hart offering a grand for a peek at one of these recently? The boxes look pretty darn nice. 1986 Fleer Basketball Case

Anybody down for a group break? >>

Fixed link...
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Thank you, sir!
    Jeff
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    Can I get $10 if I send him the link? Lol
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    doesn't "sealed" usually mean, you know, sealed?

<< <i>doesn't "sealed" usually mean, you know, sealed? >>

I was thinking the same thing. Those top boxes sure look crisp, though.
    Jeff
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The per pack price comes out to about $700 each. That seems manageable, but the trick will be finding 432 willing participants, or collectors who can buy multiples.
  • Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    If someone wants to do the leg work and get Steve involved to verify individual boxes/packs, I'd be up for a complete box.
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    If this stuff is fresh like he says, I have no idea why he's not talking to Steve about getting the boxes sealed up.

It would make it much easier for him to sell
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    He's probably thinking he can ride his sealed case claim. I don't think he's going to get that premium just because 3 inches of tape remained intact while 7 of 10 boxes were pulled out.

I sent Steve the link. The listing currently has 393 watchers. I'd be surprised if someone doesn't make a run at it. With an item of this caliber, and the issue with the seal, there's no way someone is buying this without a thorough first-hand inspection.
    Jeff
  • KurtisJosephKurtisJoseph Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    I cannot afford a box, but I believe in 25 years we will all remember this day and kick ourselves for not shelling out the money to buy one full box. . .
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't this 86 case discussed in a thread here a few months ago when it was listed on EBAY?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Steve should buy it.

He sold two boxes for $29,500 at the Nationals.

I would think he could buy it for $250,000 and make close to six figures.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would think he could buy it for $250,000 and make close to six figures. >>

I agree! If $29,500 is now the market, I'm surprised this hasn't been purchased yet, assuming they are legit.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • 60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve should buy it.

I would think he could buy it for $250,000 and make close to six figures. >>

+1
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    If somone coordinated a group purchase I would have to come out of my one year hiatus...it would be fun to own a couple packs but a box would be pushing it for a guy like me..It would actually be nice for us potential buyers if a couple other cases came out of the woodworks now...price might go down a smidge. Good Sunday to all.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve should buy it.

I would think he could buy it for $250,000 and make close to six figures. >>

That's assuming he has 12 buyers.
    I'll assume Steve knows all about this case, what it would sell for bottom line price, and its authenticity. Without 12 buyers, why would he buy it?
    I agree with others thoughts, seller should have Steve authenticate boxes, seal them, then sell individually.
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't this 86 case discussed in a thread here a few months ago when it was listed on EBAY? >>

yes, and probably 25% of the watchers or more are boar dies

count me as one of the watchers

AND, the problem with this thing is it's not SEALED - it's an open case, and while maybe those are all the original boxes, it's still not a sealed case

from Steve's perspective, i can't imagine he'd wrap them as "from a sealed case", so the premium is undoubtedly less

AND, if you're the seller, are you really going to let someone flip through all the boxes and check top cards and stickers on every pack to make sure distribution is correct? because i think that's what it would take to get this price for it.

<< <i>

AND, if you're the seller, are you really going to let someone flip through all the boxes and check top cards and stickers on every pack to make sure distribution is correct? because i think that's what it would take to get this price for it. >>

If it means selling a $300K item - yes.
    Jeff
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    I'd be in for a box from Steve if it was legitly collated and super freshly mint condition

On layaway of course haha
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    This is just 12 boxes where the seller is making one buyer purchase all. But even if it were a sealed case it would mean little to me with 86 fleer bk. Steve checks these boxes to be sure be sure it is an original distribution of the packs, so I don't see the FASC value. Frankly if Steve can come up with 45 lose packs and 4 have a Jordan, I'm in on one of those packs the same as a case break. Even there I'm not sure about $700 a pack and it would suck if we did it on the board and a bunch of people post if they have a Jordan. Unopened is less fun when you know what is or isn't in the pack.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15

<< <i>That's assuming he has 12 buyers.
    I'll assume Steve knows all about this case, what it would sell for bottom line price, and its authenticity. Without 12 buyers, why would he buy it?
    I agree with others thoughts, seller should have Steve authenticate boxes, seal them, then sell individually. >>

I think Steve is going to purchase legit 86 Fleer Wax boxes any chance he gets whether he has a buyer or not. These boxes have doubled in price over the last two years. Throwing out the "sealed case" claim the seller is attempting to pass along, if these are legit, I am surprised a deal has not been cut. I am sure the seller realistically doesn't have expectations to get $300K for these boxes, and with Steve getting $29,500 for the two boxes he had at the National, there is real money to be made in buying these boxes. Assuming they are real.
    Matt
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Interesting fact, this eBay seller is also currently auctioning the highly publicized #1 Action Comics.
    wonder why he doesn't let the '86 fleer BK fly on auction?

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

<< <i>Interesting fact, this eBay seller is also currently auctioning the highly publicized #1 Action Comics.
    wonder why he doesn't let the '86 fleer BK fly on auction? >>

There has to be something more at play. We have precident that 86 Fleer wax sells at $29,500. Assuming you paid full price (which I cant imagine ultimately happening), who wouldn't tie up $300K to turn it into $360K?

Matt
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did the box in Mile High go for?

I believe I saw it was pieced together per the description.

<< <i>What did the box in Mile High go for? >>

$22,653.68
    Matt
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    what kind of ridiculous logic is that in the mile high description? they are rationalizing that the box was not searched, but just was missing a few packs so there is one more ewing sticker or something? with that said 22K is a STRONG price for a box that probably contains at most one Jordan.
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what kind of ridiculous logic is that in the mile high description? they are rationalizing that the box was not searched, but just was missing a few packs so there is one more ewing sticker or something? with that said 22K is a STRONG price for a box that probably contains at most one Jordan. >>

there should be 3 of each jordan minimum in there actually

if sequencing didn't bear that out, i would expect mile high to have a problem