Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: Anyone Watching Shark Week?

It blows me away watching these massive great white sharks.

Anyone else tuning in?

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, that nature stuff is for the 1 percenters...the rest of us watch wrestling and Nascar..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Yes, love it.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I usually watch every year. I love it!

Living only minutes from the beach, we are always there having a blast with my kids. I make it a point to be in the water with them and always keep them between myself and the shore. You can never be too careful when you're in "their" environment.
  • Options

<< <i>Nope, that nature stuff is for the 1 percenters...the rest of us watch wrestling and Nascar.. >>

Don't forget Honey Boo Boo
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nope, that nature stuff is for the 1 percenters...the rest of us watch wrestling and Nascar.. >>

Don't forget Honey Boo Boo >>

LOL, how could I??!! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy shark fact I found out tonight.

A great white can consume up to 31 pounds of flesh with one bite!!!!

• Options

<< <i>Crazy shark fact I found out tonight.

A great white can consume up to 31 pounds of flesh with one bite!!!! >>

Scary stuff for sure. They are the perfect killing machine.
  • Options
    My white trash guilty pleasure is Hardcore Pawn. Love that show!

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It blows me away watching these massive great white sharks.

Anyone else tuning in? >>

My most enjoyable TV week of the year.

DPeck, come join me and a couple of friends that are booked already on the August 9-14, 2015 excursion to do Great White cage diving at Isla Guadalupe. The vessel I will be on was the one last night on Shark Week on the segment "Jaws Strikes Back". The vessel is the Horizon, and if you saw the show last night on Shark Week, you know the sharks are big and aggressive (was the segment where they kept biting the "shark cam"). It's a 5 day trip. Would be fun to have some of the guys here to laugh with, eat with, drink with, and experience the Great Whites up close. The adrenaline will be pumping like crazy. I can't wait! It gives me something to look forward to over the next year.

Pricing is not bad for being all inclusive. Basically the cost of one of the 75 mini wax boxes that have been flying off the shelves of BBCE. Would be neat to fill the boat up with CU friends.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>My white trash guilty pleasure is Hardcore Pawn. Love that show! >>

LOL, that one is great! I love when they go all nuts in the store!

• Options
    In the summer of 93 I was snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef and I didn't know that a great white was entering the area until our guide grabbed me and threw me onto the boat deck. He wasn't close yet, like maybe 50 yards, but once I realized what had happened I just about pissed myself.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    You need to watch Shark of Darkness: Wrath of submarine. It came on last Sunday and airs again next Sunday at 8 on Discovery channel. 278 on Direct TV. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Footage of a whale watching trip gone bad and their story of survival.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I watched Sharknado with my son a couple months ago.
    It was awesome
  • Options

<< <i>

DPeck, come join me and a couple of friends that are booked already on the August 9-14, 2015 excursion to do Great White cage diving at Isla Guadalupe. The vessel I will be on was the one last night on Shark Week on the segment "Jaws Strikes Back". The vessel is the Horizon, and if you saw the show last night on Shark Week, you know the sharks are big and aggressive (was the segment where they kept biting the "shark cam"). It's a 5 day trip. Would be fun to have some of the guys here to laugh with, eat with, drink with, and experience the Great Whites up close. The adrenaline will be pumping like crazy. I can't wait! It gives me something to look forward to over the next year.

Pricing is not bad for being all inclusive. Basically the cost of one of the 75 mini wax boxes that have been flying off the shelves of BBCE. Would be neat to fill the boat up with CU friends.

Mike >>

Mike I saw your post on Facebook and it sounds like you will have a blast. I appreciate the invite but I will skip this one. image

I am not a thrill seeker and swimming with great white sharks is not something I am looking to do. This sounds like a great trip though for someone looking for serious excitement. I will be looking forward to the pics and status updates!

Do you have a Go Pro camera?

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big nature buff.

Love the shark week shows.

Last night was the deep sea sharks. Many are basically still dinosaurs.

A trip into a cage into Great white territory would be awesome!!!
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I've been staying up too late the last few nights watching Shark Week. The 'Submarine' shark documentary was both awesome and frightening at the same time.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    My family is completely geeking it up this week with Shark Week. That is all that has been on our TV all week. We can't get enough of it. It has kept me off eBay this week scouring for cards. Here is a picture of my kids and myself this morning sporting our shark shirts:

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Duplicate post.
  • Options
    Hammered, watch Sharknado 2 even better!

Maybe its my own fault based on last year, but the opening night show "the wrath of Submarine" was amazing. I was literally glued to the TV to the point I stopped watching Alex Wood's crazy 12k pitching performace (huge braves fan.) So when I got to work the first thing I did was google the story to find out it was fake.....it really pissed me off! But they have made up for it and from what I here, i think tonight's episode on the Tigers is supposed to be amazing!

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Mike >>

Mike, I've been on the Horizon before and it's an incredible boat with a great crew. My son and I will probably do that trip next year, but later in the season when there are less sharks but much bigger ones.
    I went on a great white trip in South Africa years ago, but we got skunked. Everyone I know (about a dozen people) that have been to Guadelupe have seen tons of sharks every day, all day.
    You're going to have a great time, make sure you've got lots of batteries and media cards!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    We go down to Gulf Shores, AL every year... this year the people staying in the beach house next to ours were fishing for sharks. We'd give them our small fish to use as bait... once they scored a tuna that was about 2-2.5 feet long, they used it's head to bring in ">this.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    The thing about a shark is they got lifeless eyes. Black eyes, like a doll's eyes.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    No. I prefer the wild. My friends and I camp at Manchester State Beach in California. Arguably the closest point to Hawaii from the mainland. The communication cables that go to and from Japan are laid from there. Cable station is a secret well guarded building that is a cool extra when camping there!
    Walking up the beach from Point Arena Lighthouse last we followed a pod of eight Orcas up the beach for about a mile. They were about thirty yards off the beach. Huge dorsal fin was giveaway but then they swam high above the waves almost breaching! WILD!
    This year (just last week) we brought a newbie and let him walk the beach ahead of us and he found 8 sand dollars,one weighing over a pound, on the sand within five minutes! He started getting overwhelmed and has since scheduled a camping trip with his family to go !
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, I usually watch every year. I love it!

Living only minutes from the beach, we are always there having a blast with my kids. I make it a point to be in the water with them and always keep them between myself and the shore. You can never be too careful when you're in "their" environment. >>

Another good thing is to not go in very deep, anything over 6 feet and you are increasing your odds.

Yes I know there are some cases of bull sharks in 3 feet of water but for most part attacks happen in slightly deeper water, over 6 feet.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The thing about a shark is they got lifeless eyes. Black eyes, like a doll's eyes. >>

Is that from Jaws, was that Quin? That movie is one of my all time favorites.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>

Mike I saw your post on Facebook and it sounds like you will have a blast. I appreciate the invite but I will skip this one. image

I am not a thrill seeker and swimming with great white sharks is not something I am looking to do. This sounds like a great trip though for someone looking for serious excitement. I will be looking forward to the pics and status updates!

Do you have a Go Pro camera? >>

I don't have a camera yet. Hopefully over the next year, I'll be able to get a nice one for below the surface. Is the "Go Pro" a good one? I'll have to research it, I'm not too up on my electronic gadgetry.
  • Options

<< <i>

Mike, I've been on the Horizon before and it's an incredible boat with a great crew. My son and I will probably do that trip next year, but later in the season when there are less sharks but much bigger ones.
    I went on a great white trip in South Africa years ago, but we got skunked. Everyone I know (about a dozen people) that have been to Guadelupe have seen tons of sharks every day, all day.
    You're going to have a great time, make sure you've got lots of batteries and media cards! >>

That's good to hear. I've never been on a small boat for an extended time so I'm a little concerned about the "seasickness" aspect. I guess I'll take a bunch of Dramamine(sp?) and hope for the best. That would be cool getting to go later in the season to see the 18-20 ft. ones. I just couldn't accommodate that in my schedule as I can't miss both a week of work and law school in order to go then. I'm sure the 14-16 ft ones are going to have me in as much awe anyway!!! I've been fascinated by them since I was a young boy in the 70's watching Jaws. It's going to be an amazing trip I hope.

Mike
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh yeah, I've been staying up too late the last few nights watching Shark Week. The 'Submarine' shark documentary was both awesome and frightening at the same time. >>

Fake documentaries are frightening?
  • Options
    Just got back this past weekend from going cage diving with the great whites of Isla Guadalupe. If you watch Shark Week, Isla Guadalupe is where they filmed "Island of the Mega Shark". Absolutely one of the most incredible weeks of my life. I took all these pics with an el cheapo rental camera and they came out pretty sweet. I'm the guy on the right with the Aggie Law shirt and the guy on the left is one of my best friends for the last 30 years. For any of y'all that are interested in seeing the great whites in person, sharkdiver.com couldn't have done a better job. Great trip, great crew, fun people.

• Options
    And here's my Sharknado photos from 3 months ago LOL Tara is an absolutely tiny young lady

in this one I asked her to make a face like she was dodging a sharknado.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "But dad, it's Shark Week!"

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Seeing these sharks attacks close to shore lately makes me think that these poor sharks are hungry because we have emptied the ocean of fish.
    I almost drowned 20 years ago while boogie boarding in rough surf. Thought I was a gonner for sure but my guardian angel saved me (no lie, but that's another story).
    Since then, I haven't gone in the water past my knees.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Hey thenavarro, awesome pics! Just for size reference, how big are those sharks in your pics? 8-10ft, or bigger? They are just magnificent creatures!
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    One of my favorite cards as a kid, from 1962 Topps Civil War News

• Options

<< <i>Hey thenavarro, awesome pics! Just for size reference, how big are those sharks in your pics? 8-10ft, or bigger? They are just magnificent creatures! >>

Thanks, not sure on the exact size. We saw at least 21 different great whites over 3 days in the water. According to the boat crew, they ranged between 8' and 16.5'. The ones in my pics are probably 14' to 15' or so.

Also, we saw a 23' whale shark that was really cool, it just came meandering through. The boat crew was so excited, as according to them, that was the first time in 14 years that a whale shark was seen in that area.

A great time!

Mike
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Big shark fan.

I kept six of the cleanest boxes from this case and sold the rest. Sometime in the future I'd like to build a PSA se of these.

Good beach reading!