Home Precious Metals
Options

Why no gold specials?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
We see those good apmex/ebays specials on ASE's or 1oz silver bars, etc.

But I never noticed any equivalents on gold? Ten 1/10s for a special?
COA

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is some APMEX gold eligible for ebay bucks. Look in their ebay US Coin Error category. Otherwise their gold is cheaper buying from their website.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've been doing 1oz bars, eagles, krugs recently. Had some 50pesos for like $29 over a month ago I think too. Saw Credit Suise bars on apmex for +$29 yesterday....
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't speak for others, but if it was me I'd find that gold is too amenable to large price swings for my comfort level. If one is working on small margins, a $30 swing could mean selling at a loss. I'm kind f a chicken chit in that regard in that I sell vs my cost and not spot. If I was replacing stuff right away, that'd be another story.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't speak for others, but if it was me I'd find that gold is too amenable to large price swings for my comfort level. If one is working on small margins, a $30 swing could mean selling at a loss. I'm kind f a chicken chit in that regard in that I sell vs my cost and not spot. If I was replacing stuff right away, that'd be another story. >>

Lol, u remind me of the dealer still tryin to sell his 1oz gold pamp bar for $1650 cause that's what he paid for it, lol...
    Biz won't last long when one tries to have others pay for their own mistakes...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't speak for others, but if it was me I'd find that gold is too amenable to large price swings for my comfort level. If one is working on small margins, a $30 swing could mean selling at a loss. I'm kind f a chicken chit in that regard in that I sell vs my cost and not spot. If I was replacing stuff right away, that'd be another story. >>

Lol, u remind me of the dealer still tryin to sell his 1oz gold pamp bar for $1650 cause that's what he paid for it, lol...
    Biz won't last long when one tries to have others pay for their own mistakes... >>

First off, I'm not a dealer so I buy when it suits me and sell when it suits me. Generally I'm not in a position where I have to sell so if I'm in a little deep I can wait until prices move up. Why don't you ask APMEX why they don't offer gold specials and see what they say.
  • Options
    whether you are a dealer or not doesnt really matter, when you post about working on small margins, you are implying a buy/sell short term plan...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>whether you are a dealer or not doesnt really matter, when you post about working on small margins, you are implying a buy/sell short term plan... >>

I was referring to APMEX margins, not mine. If I buy today, it doesn't bother me to have to wait several months to sell if necessary. That being said, maybe someone should ask APMEX why they don't offer gold specials on eBay like they do for ASEs. I expect volatility might be one reason and PayPal another. They can't have a cash and CC/PP price on eBay like they do on their website.
  • Options
    i would assume at the much lower price points, they have considerably more buyers...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>We see those good apmex/ebays specials on ASE's or 1oz silver bars, etc.

But I never noticed any equivalents on gold? Ten 1/10s for a special? >>

Also you can't pay PP and eBay fees, offer a special low price, maybe pay free shipping and expect to compete with other bullion houses and make a profit.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there's always specials on old world gold, the real stuff. Keep your eyes open.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Oh, and I might note that nibanny has 4, 1/10s for sale at the cheapest price I've seen.
    COA
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, and I might note that nibanny has 4, 1/10s for sale at the cheapest price I've seen. >>

May I ask your rationale for thinking 1500 an oz is cheaper than spot plus 20-40 per oz when spot at around 1310???
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh, and I might note that nibanny has 4, 1/10s for sale at the cheapest price I've seen. >>

May I ask your rationale for thinking 1500 an oz is cheaper than spot plus 20-40 per oz when spot at around 1310??? >>

One pays for the convenience of the fractional gold just like one pays for the high priced can of Coke at the local convenience store instead of buying a 12 pack at the local grocery store.
  • Options
    Lol, what does coke, a consumable have to do with prudent investing?
    Whatever rationale to pizz away money makes no sense...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>Lol, what does coke, a consumable have to do with prudent investing?
    Whatever rationale to pizz away money makes no sense... >>

It's about prudent buying/spending and not so much what you buy although in the case of gold, smaller amounts are economic necessity for some if they want to own it.
  • Options
    Ask and ye shall be given.