Home Sports Talk
Options

Why Golf has become my favorite spectator sport.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
.....replacing pro football.

1. The season is virtually year round.

2. A days action lasts for 8-12 hours.

3. Continuous play. Camera is always on the next shot.

4. No thugs, tats or dreadlocks.

5. No challenge flags.

6. Player has to earn his money each week. No free ride contracts. Endorsements are another matter.

7. Taxpayer dollars are out of the equation. At least not $500m-$1b sums for NFL-MLB fortresses.

8. No clock, timeouts or bimbos on the sidelines. The ladies that cover the game are quite knowledgeable about the sport.

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    9. Excellent cure for insomnia.
  • Options

<< <i>9. Excellent cure for insomnia. >>

Baseball used to be my game of choice for snoozing through a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Golf does work extremely well.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>9. Excellent cure for insomnia. >>

Baseball used to be my game of choice for snoozing through a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Golf does work extremely well. >>

Lol..I agree. Especially since the commentators are always whispering. Works every time for me.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are golf bimbos-they're all over 50 though so no one pays much attention. image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Golf is extremely boring to watch.

If you knew me, you would be shocked to hear I feel this way.

I love to golf.

If I could, I'd golf from sunrise to sunset but at 55 I'm incapable of playing (and walking of course) more than 36 holes a day.

Maybe it's because I'd rather golf than watch golf that I feel this way.

Anyways, other than the last 4 or 5 holes of a Major tournament, I tune out the weekly golf broadcasts.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>6. Player has to earn his money each week. No free ride contracts. Endorsements are another matter. >>

Not completely true. There's quite a gray market for appearance fees for players.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>6. Player has to earn his money each week. No free ride contracts. Endorsements are another matter. >>

Not completely true. There's quite a gray market for appearance fees for players. >>

Good point.
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 3:51PM
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    I could never watch. Then again, I'm not an avid player. Still, even if I was, I don't think I'd ever
    alter my schedule to watch golf. To each their own, I suppose.
    EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The US Open, Master and British Open are exciting- it is a different type of excitement...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    2. A days action lasts for 8-12 hours.

Could someone post a link or something that shows action during Golf? When I was a kid, my 2 uncles
    would ether stare at the TV all day watching golf or play chess. Both were funny to watch, but only for
    about 2 minutes. But it was a great opportunity for me and the cousins to sneak the salt outside and
    look for snailsimage

I will add, Happy Gilmore did make golf interestingimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no action in golf, unless you count excitement from a hole in one or long putt. Don't get me wrong, i love playing golf, but watching it is terrible, in person and on tv.

And you're right, there may not be many thugs, tats, or dreadlocks in golf, but there are alcoholic gamblers (john daly) and adulterers (tiger woods)!!! Whats the big deal with tats and dreadlocks? Are you that against other people's appearances and their own personal decisions?
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And you're right, there may not be many thugs, tats, or dreadlocks in golf, but there are alcoholic gamblers (john daly) and adulterers (tiger woods)!!! Whats the big deal with tats and dreadlocks? Are you that against other people's appearances and their own personal decisions? >>

Translation: more white guys in golf..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And you're right, there may not be many thugs, tats, or dreadlocks in golf, but there are alcoholic gamblers (john daly) and adulterers (tiger woods)!!! Whats the big deal with tats and dreadlocks? Are you that against other people's appearances and their own personal decisions? >>

Translation: more white guys in golf.. >>

Exactly what i was thinking but didnt want to say it....
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is no action in golf, unless you count excitement from a hole in one or long putt. Don't get me wrong, i love playing golf, but watching it is terrible, in person and on tv.

And you're right, there may not be many thugs, tats, or dreadlocks in golf, but there are alcoholic gamblers (john daly) and adulterers (tiger woods)!!! Whats the big deal with tats and dreadlocks? Are you that against other people's appearances and their own personal decisions? >>

Huh? What have I missed here? Who's right about tattoed thugs? John Daly in dreadlocks betting his weeks earnings on Tiger
    landing a married chick?

Ok, that last part was me trying to be funny, but where did this come from? I have no knowledge about golf. Im guessing I
    missed a thread, cause this seems like its coming outta left field? For what its worth, I think Flo off the Progressive
    commercials wants meimage (hey Snuffy, theres a photoshop opportunityimage )
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Exactly what i was thinking but didnt want to say it.... >>

My thought as well.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Exactly what i was thinking but didnt want to say it.... >>

My thought as well. >>

Less colored people in golf is perhaps the more accurate description. When Tiger hit the scene years ago it took the golf world almost an entire decade to pull their pants up.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>

Don't recall Tiger Woods or Calvin Peete with dreadlocks or tattoos. Don't find the look visually appealing when watching sports.

I would suggest that Golf is the most diverse sport that is readily viewed by American fans. It is huge in Asia as well as Europe (the home of the game). It is not as age intensive as football or hockey where you are toast by your late 30's. Guys like Phil and Furyk are competitive in their mid 40's.

• Options
    What a difference a month makes.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Golf is fun to play but dismal to watch. You want a new favorite TV sport to watch ?? Watch some NCAA womens volleyball

• Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What a difference a month makes. >>

Nope. I'd still rather get beat up by a giant from the NFL than watch golf on tv.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>.....replacing pro football.

4. No thugs, tats or dreadlocks. >>

Is it just me or does this often trotted out phrase have the same venom and racial overtones as a word that starts with N?
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

funny hair and tats aint just for football image

• Options
    Is anyone not watching football because of any of these stories? If so, I have yet to meet any of them.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Is anyone not watching football because of any of these stories? If so, I have yet to meet any of them. >>

Viewership is probably up short term as a bunch of non fans want to see what is up with the league. Doubtful though that this is a good way to expand the base.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is anyone not watching football because of any of these stories? If so, I have yet to meet any of them. >>

Viewership is probably up short term as a bunch of non fans want to see what is up with the league. Doubtful though that this is a good way to expand the base. >>

Mark-

Check this out about Anthony Kim.
  • Options

<< <i>

Viewership is probably up short term as a bunch of non fans want to see what is up with the league. Doubtful though that this is a good way to expand the base. >>

Would be interesting to see what the ratings are through week three this year and compare through week 3 of precious years.
    I think the American public loves football so much that these incidents are not enough number wise or large enough incident wise to make much of a dent. People like football. We've been trained to love football and watch it religiously and with a religious fervor that borders on zealotry. Once people have turned into fanatics it is hard to get them to change their POV on their beliefs.
  • Options

<< <i>

The overwhelming majority of players in the NFL are hardworking guys who go about their business in a professional manner. Many of them also give back to their communities, too. Of course, the media ignores the overwhelming majority for the negative actions of the few. NFL players are no different from other young men, many of whom reached this level despite very adverse circumstances and backgrounds. It's a shame the media frenzy fixates on the bad acts of the few when there are so many other positive stories to be reported (though these aren't nearly as salacious, of course). In the end, none of this will have any lasting detrimental effect on the popularity of the sport itself.

• Options

<< <i>

The overwhelming majority of players in the NFL are hardworking guys who go about their business in a professional manner. Many of them also give back to their communities, too. Of course, the media ignores the overwhelming majority for the negative actions of the few. NFL players are no different from other young men, many of whom reached this level despite very adverse circumstances and backgrounds. It's a shame the media frenzy fixates on the bad acts of the few when there are so many other positive stories to be reported (though these aren't nearly as salacious, of course). In the end, none of this will have any lasting detrimental effect on the popularity of the sport itself.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The overwhelming majority of players in the NFL are hardworking guys who go about their business in a professional manner. Many of them also give back to their communities, too. Of course, the media ignores the overwhelming majority for the negative actions of the few. NFL players are no different from other young men, many of whom reached this level despite very adverse circumstances and backgrounds. It's a shame the media frenzy fixates on the bad acts of the few when there are so many other positive stories to be reported (though these aren't nearly as salacious, of course). In the end, none of this will have any lasting detrimental effect on the popularity of the sport itself. >>

Very good point and very very true.
    On Mike and Mike this morning Greenie quoted a stat that shows that NFL players commit a much smaller percent of crime, violent crime, domestic abuse, when compared to the same demographic group in the US.
    But the media makes it appear as if this is a normal occurance. Double edge sword of being athletes (who our society hero worships) and paid large amounts of money.
    It engenders both awe and jealousy in people which I believe is why we get the reaction we do
  • Options
    And I love both playing golf (mid 80s average) and watching it. The final round at the PGA this year might have been as gripping a sporting g event that I watched sincey Heels beat Illinois in the finals or Pettitte beat Smoltz in 1996 in the World Series.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The overwhelming majority of players in the NFL are hardworking guys who go about their business in a professional manner. Many of them also give back to their communities, too. Of course, the media ignores the overwhelming majority for the negative actions of the few. NFL players are no different from other young men, many of whom reached this level despite very adverse circumstances and backgrounds. It's a shame the media frenzy fixates on the bad acts of the few when there are so many other positive stories to be reported (though these aren't nearly as salacious, of course). In the end, none of this will have any lasting detrimental effect on the popularity of the sport itself. >>

You are absolutely correct Grote. The guys that suffer from this wretched behavior are the good guys that practice hard, take care of their families and stay out of trouble. Still though, way to many incidents of young, talented millionaires acting like idiots.

I don't have an easy fix. I didn't quit watching the sport for this reason....it never is a single reason, it was a general deterioration in my view of the spectator experience. Fortunately when Sunday rolls around, we have a wide selection of activities to choose from.