Home Sports Talk
Options

Is it too early to declare Bryce Harper a bust? (Not a clown question, bro, lol)

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know he has been slowed by injuries, but his past 2 seasons overall have paled in comparison to the hype this kid got when he was first called up after dominating every level of ball he was at. He is still just 21 years old, and certainly still has a high ceiling potential-wise, but wondering what others here thought about him. He seems to also alternate Pete Rose type hustle with lackadasical play. What gives with this guy?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    And while you're at it, is Strasburg a bust too?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harper sure hasn't put up the numbers that were predicted, but still too early to label him a bust.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>And while you're at it, is Strasburg a bust too? >>

Although he hasn't quite lived up to expectations, either (those expectations were pretty much unattainable), Strasburg has been fairly dominant at times, and leads the league in Ks with 177 in about 150 IP and has an ERA of around 3 over last three seasons, with pretty impressive WHIP and ERA+, so I would not put the bust label on him. I'm not necessarily saying Harper is a bust at this point either but certainly Strasburg has exceeded Harper's performance at the ML level to this point.

I think joe is correct--it is too early to tell, but this season is shaping up to be a disappointing one.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get to watch him as often as I would like.

Absolutely loved how he played when he first arrived. Non-stop hustle, aggressive base running, fielding and swinging, etc. No way he could have kept that pace for many years.

I say way too early for the bust label. Hopefully he keeps healthy and gets his mojo back.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    I think we just have to keep it in perspective...Harper is only 21 and he already has 1,300 MLB plate appearances. His OPS+ is 121 thus far. That is pretty good for that many plate appearances at a tender age in MLB. Maybe Mike Trout is making it look too easy!

There are very few players to accumulate that many plate appearances in MLB at such a young age, and the ones who had nice hitting careers, had similar or worse starts.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strasburg isn't a bust. His record isn't great (8-9 both of the last two years) but that's not his fault. 3.00 and 3.39 ERA should net you a good record every time. It's probably time for the Nats to take off the kid gloves with him, though, and let him go deeper in games. He's 25 years old and a couple years removed from his major surgery. It's OK to let him go more than 6 innings per start.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for Harper, if he stays healthy, he'll be fine. Look for him to have a very good year next season.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way we can categorize Harper as a Bust, he is way too young at this point. It would be like saying Trout is a sure fire HOF'er, not enough info just yet.

Strasburg I think the jury is still out on him, I still LMFAO at the Nat's for shutting him down a few years ago when they were making a run at the Playoffs.

BTW my Buddy in my Fantasy BB league will say Harper is a bust since he drafted him at #7 overall image
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's OK to let him go more than 6 innings per start. >>

Hell, nobody pitches more than 6 innings now.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been noticing over the last 1 1/2 weeks how he has been relegated to the 6th or 7th spot in the lineup. Must have to earn his way back up the ladder. Coincedently while I was reading this thread the other night his GEICO commercial came up on the TV. Tonight he has struck out 2x so far in the Mets game. Hope that he recovers his mojo and that Strasberg continues in a forward manner.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Maybe if he played in the pre-integration era he would be doing better. Might even have a chance of being better than Cobb!
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe if he played in the pre-integration era he would be doing better. Might even have a chance of being better than Cobb! >>

His career OPS+ clearly states he is already better than Ty Cobb to this point when yoiu make the necessary adjustments to account for the minor league play back then!

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe if he played in the pre-integration era he would be doing better. Might even have a chance of being better than Cobb! >>

His career OPS+ clearly states he is already better than Ty Cobb to this point when yoiu make the necessary adjustments to account for the minor league play back then! >>

Jeez, that guy is something else...and you got me involved in that thread! lol
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

His career OPS+ clearly states he is already better than Ty Cobb to this point when yoiu make the necessary adjustments to account for the minor league play back then! >>

Jeez, that guy is something else...and you got me involved in that thread! lol >>

LOL, guilty as charged!

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    My prediction is:
    Stephen Strasburg will have less of an impact on baseball than Lee Strasberg had on acting. Proof: Strasberg will have taught more actors who went on to win Best Actor/Actress than Stephen Strasburg will, by the end of his career, will have Cy Young Awards.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Oddly enough, someone in my fantasy baseball league just waived Harper last night. Never thought I'd see that, but maybe it's justified. The guy has been horrible this year. Still, I'm putting in a waiver claim on him! image
  • Options
    I remember reading a comparison of his arrival and expectations to that of Clint Hurdle, and how Hurdle was supposed to be the next big thing.

Personally I think his production has more to do with the coaching staff than with anything else. Harper has publicly questioned the lineups Matt Williams has put out there and whether it's addressed or not, any friction between a player and coaches will have an effect on their production.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Way too early.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When Harper surpasses Ichiro Wagner, Julio Cobb, Babe Ramirez, and Barry Sanders, then we can start taking him seriously.

Until then, nothing to see here.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

<< <i>It's OK to let him go more than 6 innings per start. >>

Hell, nobody pitches more than 6 innings now. >>

Felix Hernandez and David Price beg to differ
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Wtg Tim ... you open your big mouth and he hits a Walk-off Homerun in extra innings against The Mets. Lol
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Wtg Tim ... you open your big mouth and he hits a Walk-off Homerun in extra innings against The Mets. Lol >>

Doug, so they finish 16 games out instead of 15, LOL!

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is too early to declare Bryce Harper a bust. He is twenty-one years old.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Tim ... I'm guessing WAY TOO EARLY!!!!! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As great a season as he's having, the Mets have managed him well!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes too early to call him a bust. Looks like he has a shot at NL MVP to me.

Seems to me there's a LOT less patience these days regarding ballplayers. Many HOFers were not great immediately.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    No question he's put it all together this season. I think he still needs to mature a bit, but he's still young and should hopefully have a great long career ahead of him.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No question he's put it all together this season. I think he still needs to mature a bit, but he's still young and should hopefully have a great long career ahead of him. >>

The big question is for which team. Does Harper resign with the Nationals?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.