Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

RIP Former Detroit Tigers SS Tom Veryzer

The Detroit Tigers confirmed today that former shortstop Tom Veryzer, 61, died this week.

Veryzer reportedly suffered a stroke last week at his home in Long Island, N.Y.

Veryzer was the Tigers’ starting shortstop after Eddie Brinkman and before Alan Trammell. He played five years with the team, hitting an RBI single in his first plate appearance in 1973. He was traded to the Cleveland Indians in December 1977, after batting just .231 in Detroit.

He also had stops with the New York Mets and Chicago Cubs.

In 12 major league seasons, Veryzer batted .241 with 231 RBIs and 14 home runs.

Comments

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭✭

One of my favorites as a kid. Very sad news.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    RIP Tom. He was a fellow Long Islander. I believe there was already a post on his passing, as he died almost 4 weeks ago.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RIP Tom. He was a fellow Long Islander. I believe there was already a post on his passing, as he died almost 4 weeks ago. >>

+1
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Sad! 61 is way too young, RIP!

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭
    that's sad news

RIP
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    RIP
    I didn't see the other thread so thank you for making this post.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I can still remember he was the first Tiger card I pulled from 77 Topps!! Way too young at 61!!
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    RIP

That 1976 card is exactly as I remember him. I was a 15 year old high school shortstop at the time; a life long Tiger fan. Wore my hair the same way - called myself Veryzer. image
    Wondo

<< <i>RIP

That 1976 card is exactly as I remember him. I was a 15 year old high school shortstop at the time; a life long Tiger fan. Wore my hair the same way - called myself Veryzer. image >>

Wondo, I was only 11, but I did rock the same hair cut! What high school were you at?

<< <i>

<< <i>RIP

That 1976 card is exactly as I remember him. I was a 15 year old high school shortstop at the time; a life long Tiger fan. Wore my hair the same way - called myself Veryzer. image >>

Wondo, I was only 11, but I did rock the same hair cut! What high school were you at? >>

You went to school Tom? I thought you lived in the woods and was raised by wolves?
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Wyomissing High School outside of Reading, PA. But, I was born in Detroit - went to the series in 1968. Lived in St Clair Shores, Fraser and Clinton Township before we moved in 1970.
    Wondo

• jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Thanks for posting as it's the first I heard of it. I knew him from his cards until he came to the Cubs for the 84 season. May he rest peacefully.
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    I had a chance to meet Tom and walk to and from Wrigley almost every game day with him when he played for the Cubs. I worked for the team but on game days the parking wasa mess so I just parked on one of the city streets (before you needed a pass and prove you lived in the neighborhood). Tom lived close by and it appeared I almost always parked near his home and saw him each day. We talked a number of times and he was very soft spoken and it seemed a bit of a loner but I count Tom Veryzer as one of the nicest men I had ever met during my time working in MLB.

I had intended to send him a card to sign for me and tell him thanks for friending a lowly front office peon but I never did. For that, I am sad.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>RIP

Wondo, I was only 11, but I did rock the same hair cut! What high school were you at? >>

You went to school Tom? I thought you lived in the woods and was raised by wolves? >>

Matt, nowhere did I say I went to school, I just said I had Tom Veryzer's haircut when I was 11. Please try to keep up!

<< <i>Wyomissing High School outside of Reading, PA. But, I was born in Detroit - went to the series in 1968. Lived in St Clair Shores, Fraser and Clinton Township before we moved in 1970. >>

Very cool that you liked Tom Veryzer while living in PA! Lived in Detroit and Sterling Heights before going away to MSU (yes Matt, I went to school).
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>RIP Tom. He was a fellow Long Islander. I believe there was already a post on his passing, as he died almost 4 weeks ago. >>

Doug you are right he did pass within the last month.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)