Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Woman claims she paid more for coins than they were worth

2»

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>that encouraged and promoted the use of unlawful and misleading selling points and sales tactics on unsuspecting individuals, including the plaintiff. >>

so they are referring to normal advertising, right? ><

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    Incredible.

Posts are made about fleecing the uninformed

Posts are made about nefarious dealers that rip people off

Posts are made about counterfeit coins

Yet, when a woman files suit to recover what she feels has been taken from her due to outright lies, folks ridicule and laugh.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Incredible.

Yet, when a woman files suit to recover what she feels has been taken from her due to outright lies, folks ridicule and laugh. >>

That's the U S Coin forum way, eh?
  • Options
    so stupid.

If she were to win her case, almost every seller on EBAY could be sued for the same thing.
  • Options

<< <i>Incredible.

Yet, when a woman files suit to recover what she feels has been taken from her due to outright lies, folks ridicule and laugh. >>

Because she allowed it to happen through her own stupidity. If she won her case, where would it stop ?
  • Options
    Ahh ... what is anything really "worth"? I bought a bottle of pop at a convenience store for $1.89 when I could have bought the same thing at work for $1.25. I'm suing the quickie mart.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options

<< <i>Ahh ... what is anything really "worth"? I bought a bottle of pop at a convenience store for $1.89 when I could have bought the same thing at work for $1.25. I'm suing the quickie mart. >>

But did they have to lie to you or deceive you or tell you it was some sort of special formula soda pop when you walked into the store in order to get you to buy it?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ahh ... what is anything really "worth"? I bought a bottle of pop at a convenience store for $1.89 when I could have bought the same thing at work for $1.25. I'm suing the quickie mart. >>

But did they have to lie to you or deceive you or tell you it was some sort of special formula soda pop when you walked into the store in order to get you to buy it? >>

No, but they never told me what it was really "worth."

I never said I was going to win my lawsuit. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Telemarketer : Ma'am, we've got this bridge, and it will cross anywhere.
    Lady: Really ?
    Caller: Oh yes and wouldn't that be great in case you ever needed a bridge to cross somewhere ?
    Lady: Oh yes . I think I could use that.
    Caller: One bridge, coming up !
    Lady: This bridge goes nowhere , I'm filing a lawsuit.

Judge: Ma'am, you have a bridge to cross anywhere. Case dismissed.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Incredible.

Because she allowed it to happen through her own stupidity. If she won her case, where would it stop ? >>

It might stop when every state gets a MN collector protection law image
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you say contingent fee? Sure you can...

Any bottom feeder (lawyer) is willing to file a lawsuit (cost is usually a hundred dollars +/-) and a few hours of creative writing in the hopes that the company will pay her off with 25K or 50K and he gets 1/3. It's good money (for the lawyer)! I bet you would love to earn 8K for half an hour of writing and $100 in cash.

Remember, all we have to this point is some hyperbole, a complaint (which we haven't read), and a newspaper article (bets: the lawyer tipped off the paper to get some press to put pressure on the company). No facts, no reply from the defendant, nothing but a one-sided view.

Now, if it becomes a real lawsuit, which would cost the lawyer money to follow through - anyone want to bet s/he discovers a conflict and files to withdraw from representation???
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you record someone isn't it the law that they be warned in advance that they are being recorded? >>

State law. Texas is 1-party, meaning only one party needs to consent. Several states are 2-party (all party) meaning all parties need to consent to being recorded.

You can {Google,Bing} for your state's law, and there are several lists published of which state is which type.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    This was the original article before they pulled this content.

Tampa Bay woman feels ripped off, pays $61 for coins worth $1.50

It was certainly interesting to see all the responses above.
  • Options
    That explains everything. She was totally ripped off.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears she paid about $60 too much.
  • Options
    People pay more then something is worth all the time. Just think of all the under water houses out in the world. Just if they could do the same...

Sometimes I wonder how we ever made it this far.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Remember beanie babies? >>

The tulips of our time.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>People pay more then something is worth all the time. Just think of all the under water houses out in the world. Just if they could do the same...

Sometimes I wonder how we ever made it this far. >>

But where is the deception if you're underwater on your mortgage? Clearly not the same as this situation. She was led to believe that she would get more than a couple rolls of essentially new cents.
  • Options

<< <i>This was the original article before they pulled this content.

It was certainly interesting to see all the responses above. >>

This seems to be a different situation than the OP.

In the OP, Ruth L. Thomas is suing American Eagle Reserve LLC.

In this article, Vickie McInnis is deceived by World Reserve Monetary Exchange in Canton, Ohio.

I have to think that the loss has to be greater than $60 to justify the costs of a lawsuit.
  • Options
    2 different cases. I feel I am being mislead by a poster on this thread and am suffering because of that posters actions. Oh what can I do about this injustice? Does anyone want to help me by taking on a possible case for me?

Could not help it, I will go to my corner now.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me see ... how many times do I think I have paid more for coins than they were worth ...

plenty

But ... how many times do I think I have paid less for coins than they were worth ...

plenty
    Doug
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have come across this so many times in buying estates that I am glad to hear someone is fighting back. While I do not have the facts in this case, giving this company the benefit of the doubt is naïve. I hope that the company has every ounce of the weight of the law to have to crawl out from under.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>This is a case where it would be nice if cell phones had a call record feature that one could activate BEFORE one answered the call. >>

They do, my daughter just downloaded one that records all incoming calls automatically.

She did a simple search on google to find it.

bobimage >>

I have a plain ol phone so not really sure if I have it. I guess I could read the booklet. >>

A bit off topic but when I canceled the att long distance on my land phone recently, my phone bill dropped $55. Previously $69, only $13.50 1st month, now $23.50 for this last month. For the longest time, they had me sold with this talk that I was only paying $5 for long distance plus .07 per minute. Talk about getting &#%@ every month for the last..........heck I don't know how long, image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This was the original article before they pulled this content.

It was certainly interesting to see all the responses above. >>

This seems to be a different situation than the OP.

In the OP, Ruth L. Thomas is suing American Eagle Reserve LLC.

In this article, Vickie McInnis is deceived by World Reserve Monetary Exchange in Canton, Ohio.

I have to think that the loss has to be greater than $60 to justify the costs of a lawsuit. >>

Of note, neither dealer lists themselves as being members of the PNG on their homepage.

AER has an A+ BBB rating while WRME has a F BBB rating.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so stupid.

If she were to win her case, almost every seller on EBAY could be sued for the same thing. >>

I don't believe that this is true at all since eBay is an auction site and there is no direct contact with buyers "convincing" them that they should buy.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i> A bit off topic but when I canceled the att long distance on my land phone recently, my phone bill dropped $55. >>

I knew someone that probably had the same long dist plan, it had a big base fee plus 7 cents per minute. I told them they wasted thousands since they had that plan forever since they can get lower fee per minute with almost no base fee.
    The thing in common with "paying too much for coins" is that regardless of that they charged a lot, we as a buyer should shop around and see if we're paying too much.
    Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file