Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Speaking of Toned Peace Dollars, Perhaps a Critique of this Coin Might be Educational

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm interested in people's thoughts regarding the toning pattern, color distribution, color progression, opinion of AT, NT, or MA (please elaborate on your thoughts).

I'll add my two bits tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Love those freckles across Miss Liberty's nose ! ! ! image

Other than that, I think the color might be more convincing if it were only on one side . . .

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT all day
  • Options
    I find this coin interesting especially the reverse between say 3:30 and 6pm as it is showing a full color progression. I will wait to see some of the more knowledgeable tone heads to chime in.
    Edit to add: I do see a small amount of pull away toning on the obverse when I enlarge the imabe but it could be the lighting.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will wait to see some of the more knowledgeable tone heads to chime in. >>

Good thing for you, SeattleSlammer already chimed in.

AT...which doesn't mean it's not slabbed.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT or NT-it's very pretty!
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this is not one of the choices, but I am going to say ED.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "painted on"

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    If I just saw the reverse of this coin I might be inclined to think its NT. As lostincoins points out the color progression from 330 to 600 looks pretty good.

The left field of the reverse is little offsetting though. I never like to see that mix of blues and ambers next to each other. On the obverse the color appears just to lay across the surface of the coin and it doesnt appear to be bonded. I especially dont feel that the area to the left of Liberty's face and through the tiara is real.

It almost appears that someone took an NT toned dollar and tried to increase its value by adding a lot more color.

With that said, I would like to see this coin in hand. It would not surprise me if you said this coin was in PCGS or NGC plastic. If the color wasnt as vibrant in hand as it is in your photos I could see this coin grading.

• Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the picture posted my gut feeling is not natural.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>AT all day >>

+1
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Not for me, the layering of the neon and the specific colors are a red flag to these eyes.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is probably AT, the area to the left obv. has a brushed on look with very sudden changes in color. And the pattern does not look right for an EOR coin, either.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a pretty well done AT, colors seems right, but the progression of them isnt

might MA across the street............
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arright. I'll give you my take on this coin.

A. It's 100% AT. I know this because I purchased it from a group of about 20 similarly colored dollars. This one was the most natural looking of the bunch. Most of the others were incredibly outlandish. They were all lustrous 1923-P coins.

B. Most everyone that commented picked up on the obverse colors looking like they're "painted on" or floating above the coin. The color progression in this area isn't quite right either.

C. I agree with the thought that most colorfully toned Peace dollars got that way from album storage. I don't think they toned in the original mint bags the same way Morgans sometimes did. RWB has outlined why in his thread ATS. As such, it would be unusual to see this sort of color on both sides of the coin. If the obverse was 100% white and the reverse looked as it does, I could see it perhaps finding its way into a top-tier TPG holder. That fact bothers me.

D. It's "pretty" (my office staff really like it) and I can see why there would be a market for coins like this. I probably shouldn't have purchased it. The ultimate way to eliminate doctoring is for the demand for it to dry up. That said, I though it would be educational in the same way that keeping a few counterfeits around might be.

E. When it comes to Peace dollars, 99% of them tone in an ugly fashion. There are plenty of ways for people to make blast white dollars into market-acceptable toners. If the guy doing this one had left the obverse alone and gone a little easier on the reverse, it might have landed in a slab and fetched a hefty sum. Buyer beware.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it appears in-hand as it appears on my monitor then that is a coin that I would not purchase.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I will wait to see some of the more knowledgeable tone heads to chime in. >>

Good thing for you, SeattleSlammer already chimed in.

AT...which doesn't mean it's not slabbed. >>

Just so you know you are funny and I don't care what others say, lol

Bryce it is good to see coins like this especially for those that just lurk and don't ever join in the conversations.
    Many a good observation was made about the look of this coin and how the colors are physically on the surface.
    Edit to add one of the issues for me was the consistent color at all levels without a change to that color due to the elevation.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No sense in critiquing it when it's not to my liking. Then again, I know what I like and silence is golden.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you going to dip that off or keep it around for reference?
  • Options
    AT....there are dozens of Morgans and peace dollars with near identical toning on Ebay at any given time. 95% all come from the same source who has been selling these for years on Ebay. He used to not list them as AT...then I think Ebay cracked down on him for a while and for about a year he put AT right in the title and now he no longer lists them as AT as I assume his sales suffered from the truth lol

Shane
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it appears in-hand as it appears on my monitor then that is a coin that I would not purchase. >>

Oh TomB..... so diplomatic image. I'll call it as it is...... a POS that doesn't even look legitimate whatsoever...... AND a thing I would not purchase.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AT....there are dozens of Morgans and peace dollars with near identical toning on Ebay at any given time. 95% all come from the same source who has been selling these for years on Ebay. He used to not list them as AT...then I think Ebay cracked down on him for a while and for about a year he put AT right in the title and now he no longer lists them as AT as I assume his sales suffered from the truth lol

Shane >>

Was/is the word Attic in the ebay handle?
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭
    AT - it's not even close.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion is AT but done by someone who was good at his craft. The essentially matched toning on both obverse and reverse is the giveaway.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    AT and easily created. If the guy doing it wasn't so color greedy and just did the obverse he may have had a winner. Still an in hand inspection would show its still AT by the way the color lays on the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file