Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

National Pickup Thread- Let's see what you got!

Bought, sold and traded to this one card at the end of the day. Managed to walk away with a little cash left in my pocket too. Not a bad day.

Registry Sets:
T222's PSA 1 or better

Comments

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Tim! Well done
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Are you putting that set together?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Love that card! Been slowly chipping away at a raw set. Congrats!
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you putting that set together? >>

No. Just want this card because it is so tough to find.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pickup Tim!
    Mike
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Well, just got back from the National, and overall had an ok+ experience. After gas from Pittsburgh, tolls, parking at the National, and ticket cost, I was already $75 in deep. Got there a little bit later than I wanted so I felt a little rushed. In the end, I decided to forgo trying to dig up commons for some sets as I figured they would probably be over-priced and I just didn't have the energy/time to go through all those folders.....So I set forth to pick up 3-5 "keeper" cards which for me includes Topps Clementes, Mantles, baseball key rookies from the 50s-70s era, or perhaps a '57 star graded PSA or SGC 5-7.5 range but my budget was only $500-750 total as I just bought a house and have other priorities right now.

After making a quick run/scan of the tables, I returned to one table and thankfully this Gibson was still there. I had a 5 before SGC but it had a weird diamond cut and bad tilt, but since selling it, I've wanted it replaced. Buckler cards had a nice 6.5 or so but I think he wanted like $450. So I settled on this one, after returning, for $205. The downside is that it has a couple print streaks though his face. The upside is the L/R is better than 8 out of 10 cards. Corners are ok and back is clean.

The 2nd major card I picked up was from a good dealer named Greg. I passed on this card at the RMU show in Pittsburgh but saw it again so decided to pull the trigger since it has most of what I want out of a Mantle card, and the price was reasonable, especially by National standards which tend to be overpriced. Bought this for $150.

Last card I bought was sorta on a whim. Was heading to the PSA booth and caught this card out of the corner of my eye. Kinda always liked this Maris in pinstripes and the guy dropped his price from $70 to $50 which is rare for the national. After a quick search on my smartphone not a terrible buy.

All and all I basically achieved my goals including submitting my "Free" 15 cards to PSA, the biggest of which is a very sharp 75 Brett and I rolled the dice with a few '71BB commons hoping on a 9 or 2. BTW, PSA's customer service was great here and was glad to unload these subs instead of having to ship them to Cali.

Seemed like the vintage market is steady, and thed dealers were quite friendly. Nice to see so many collectors with their checklist out, etc. and even topps had some pack busts which was causing loud cheers, etc.

Last nugget, one dealer had about 30 '66 Choo Choo Coleman's spread out
  • Options
    Love the Mantle and Maris. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking well-centered cards!

Thanks for sharing.
    Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I love the Gibson rookie.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭
    I have picked up a few things but so far this is my favorite!

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options

<< <i>I have picked up a few things but so far this is my favorite! >>

What is it?
  • Options
    It's a Ric Flair autographed championship belt inscribed wih "Whoooooooo!" image

My buddy and I have been going through our purchases and I think this is my favorite so far. We both have been quoting him all night.
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options

<< <i>Love the Mantle and Maris. Thanks for sharing! >>

+1
    Nice centering
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    nice gibson rc!!!
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    ghooper33, LOVE that belt. You should wear it proudly whenever you go out, even if it's just to get gas. image WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
  • Options
    That belt would be the greatest fantasy football trophy ever. I might lose my job because I would be doing so much research just to win the belt. Awesome!
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a Ric Flair autographed championship belt inscribed wih "Whoooooooo!" image

My buddy and I have been going through our purchases and I think this is my favorite so far. We both have been quoting him all night. >>

I have to assume he was joking.

That is awesome!!!!

That deserves to be put in a shadow box of some kind on the wall and admired daily.

Cutting Ric Flair promos while drinking is almost too much fun. image

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Lot's of nice stuff in this thread. Keep 'em coming.
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    Had someone pick up the following from the BBCE booth for me:

(12) 1985 Topps Hockey packs
    (5) 1986 Topps Football rack packs
    (5) 1984 Topps Football rack packs
    (2) 1975 Topps mini wax packs
    (1) 1982 Topps baseball wax box

Eventually I will rip them all. Still in accumulation mode these days.

Robb
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the pickups guys.

Man, look at that Maris - the guy is 30/31 years old in that pic on that card but looks much older. image
  • Options

<< <i>It's a Ric Flair autographed championship belt inscribed wih "Whoooooooo!" image

My buddy and I have been going through our purchases and I think this is my favorite so far. We both have been quoting him all night. >>

That's a great item.

I'm assuming a replica?
    Mike
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I will be unable to attend the National and have no gems to show......I live in Parma Ohio which is about fifteen minutes from where the show is being held but I just cannot justify $8 parking and $22 just to walk into the show. I don't do autographs so that isn't a draw for me and will use the $30 that I would have spent on shipping and get my stuff either online or direct from one of the major dealers. I will miss the walking around and seeing all of the great collections but will not be attending. I am enjoying what others have gotten so keep the pics coming. al.
  • Options

<< <i>

I have to assume he was joking.) >>

Sorry, I really wasn't. I assumed it was boxing or maybe wrestling. Is that the real belt or a replica?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sorry, I really wasn't. I assumed it was boxing or maybe wrestling. Is that the real belt or a replica? >>

Nope it was a replica - pretty inexpensive at the Leaf table. It was funny with all of stuff we bought so far this inexpensive item is my favorite.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Unfortunately I will be unable to attend the National and have no gems to show......I live in Parma Ohio which is about fifteen minutes from where the show is being held but I just cannot justify $8 parking and $22 just to walk into the show. I don't do autographs so that isn't a draw for me and will use the $30 that I would have spent on shipping and get my stuff either online or direct from one of the major dealers. I will miss the walking around and seeing all of the great collections but will not be attending. I am enjoying what others have gotten so keep the pics coming. al. >>

I would gladly spend $30 just so I can hang out with some of the great board members here. Many of them have traveled hundreds or thousands of miles just to see YOU! image
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sorry, I really wasn't. I assumed it was boxing or maybe wrestling. Is that the real belt or a replica? >>

Ric Flair

The Nature Boy

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Unfortunately I will be unable to attend the National and have no gems to show......I live in Parma Ohio which is about fifteen minutes from where the show is being held but I just cannot justify $8 parking and $22 just to walk into the show. I don't do autographs so that isn't a draw for me and will use the $30 that I would have spent on shipping and get my stuff either online or direct from one of the major dealers. I will miss the walking around and seeing all of the great collections but will not be attending. I am enjoying what others have gotten so keep the pics coming. al. >>

I would gladly spend $30 just so I can hang out with some of the great board members here. Many of them have traveled hundreds or thousands of miles just to see YOU! image >>

I hear ya, didn't mean to offend any board members but this past week has been too, too busy for me in addition to the cost factor. Had to take my son back to OU on Wednesday, had job interview on Thursday, wife put me to work yesterday and I have to go get my daughter from the Ohio State Fair today where she was a member of the All Ohio State Fair Band for the last ten days. Guess I could try to go tomorrow.......for all board members: Hi, love these threads and love participating in the many, many worthwhile conversations.

al.
  • Options
    creecree Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I picked this up Friday.
  • Options
    Diggin' that smoltz, Chris! Good investment too with him on the ballot next year. Look what happened to Maddux cards this year.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I set up for the first 2 days of the show & anything I sold went back into buying stuff.
    Bought mostly oddball items. My favorite being this ticket from the Federal League.
    The Federal Lg lasted two years 1914 & '15. The Indianapolis Hoosier won the championship in '14
    & moved to Newark (actually Harrison) NJ for the '15 season & renaming the team the Newark Peppers.
    The Peps had a couple of HOFers on the team, Edd Rousch & Bill Mckechnie & star players Ed Reulbach & Cy Falkenberg

• Options
    That is a cool ticket
  • Options
    My last three pickups at the show.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loving this thread folks, congrats on some wonderful items! image
  • Options
    Hey there Jay - glad to hear you made it OK at the National and that ticket is in sweet condition!

Beck - that 73T Ryan caught my eye - what a super pickup!
    Mike
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>nice Cobb, Tim! >>

+1. Love the centering.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim... Great looking Cobb
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON