Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My 2nd National...Board Members Were The Highlight

So just got back from Cleveland and the 2014 NSCC and I have to say the highlight for me was meeting the board members at the BBCE booth on Wednesday. I had never spoken to any of them prior to Wednesday and I have to say that many feel like brothers now. Had the privelage of talking the hobby with Dustin, Kirk, Dave, Eric, Mike and his wife Pam, Ivan and a lovely lady whose name is escaping me at the moment. Outstanding knowledge, passion for the hobby and respect for each others collecting interets among this group. We all grabbed dinner that night and talked the hobby, collections, acquisitions of the day and our own personal collecting quirks. This alone made the trip worthwhile!!

Overall impressions of this years show:
1) there were slightly fewer dealers than in Chicago last year
2) vintage wax was no where to be found outside of BBCE and a small supply at Steel City
3) tons of vintage singles, but very little high grade examples (8 or better)
4) lots of random junk to have to sift through to find a hidden treasure
5) lots of modern wax being broken at the manufacturer booths and a good mix of adults and kids ripping the packs
6) BBCE booth delivered again, but much of the good stuff had sold by Wednesday night

My pickups included 1987, 1988 Fleer basketball boxes, a 1989 Fleer basketball case and a 1988 Fleer Jordan BGS 9.5. Overall was happy to add these to my collection since I have been on a Jordan 1980's wax kick lately. Would have loved to add the 86/87 Fleer boxes that Steve had, but at $29,500/box they have moved to a new stratosphere. One already sold Wednesday morning and the other was getting some serious interest. Looks like that price might hold.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to seeing even more members next year in Chicago!

Comments

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Chris,

I enjoyed getting to meet you and hang out talking about our mutual passions/obsessions (lol) for old cardboard and unopened. Nice to see you
    get some super pickups at BBCE. Will look forward to seeing you in Chicago whe I will be back on the exhibitor/dealer side of the table next year.

Dave
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Chris, it was great chatting with you. Glad to see you did end up grabbing those Fleer boxes...and a case!

Nice work!
    Jim

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice post Chris.

Congratulations on your pickups.

It looks like Fleer Bkb has gone up over the past few years?

Do you plan on opening the 87F?
    Mike
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update!

aconte
  • Options
    Chris, great to meet you. It's fun talking with someone that knows a lot about basketball. Hope to see you next year.
  • Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome meeting you guys today. Great show so far and I agree the best part had been talking wih other collectors.
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice post Chris.

Congratulations on your pickups.

It looks like Fleer Bkb has gone up over the past few years?

Do you plan on opening the 87F? >>

Thanks Mike. The 87/88 will remain sealed since there is little to no break up value on that one. I am likely going to bust an 88/89 in the near future and will certainly share pics of the break on these boards. I will spare folks any breaks I do of 89/90 Fleer since I am pretty sure they are still printing those image