Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is Counterstamping Still an Effective Form of Advertising?

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
How come there are no modern businesses that do counterstamping?

Comments

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that the answer is two-fold. First, some still believe that it is illegal to 'deface' U. S. coins and currency, preventing them from doing so. Secondly, today there are other, infinitely more effective means of advertising. The only 'modern' counterstampers I have seen are a select few coin dealers.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins, today, are shipped wherever they are needed. Back in the day, coins just circulated around the community
    that the banks issued them in. Now, the movement of coins and currency by the Fed between districts is extensive
    and would ruin any chance of a good ad campaign.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defacing money is legal in many cases.

However, there is a specific law against affixing commercial advertising to legal tender.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Defacing money is legal in many cases.

However, there is a specific law against affixing commercial advertising to legal tender. >>

Well, I guess it wasn't like that in the old days, eh?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Defacing money is legal in many cases.

However, there is a specific law against affixing commercial advertising to legal tender. >>

Well, I guess it wasn't like that in the old days, eh? >>

That may have been the impetus?

Elongated cents don't seem to draw the ire, but there definitely is a Federal statute against advertising on money and other us government issues.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Heh! Disney is stamped on most elongated coins.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How come there are no modern businesses that do counterstamping? >>

I think there is a trend away from numismatics for businesses in general. For example, fewer stores issue store cards and trade tokens as well. Fewer numismatists also have their own tokens. Thankfully coin club medals are alive and well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file