Home Sports Talk
Options

Red Sox trade Lester and Gomes

pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
Looks like Gomes is going to another world series this year.

Where ever he goes the world series follows.

The Red Sox now have 2 cannons for arms in the outfield along with the power hitting outfielder they need so badly.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great pick ups for us. Two quality guys who the fans and clubhouse will love.

The A's aren't known for giving out big paydays. That's the only confusing thing about getting Lester. >>

Oakland is thinking "WIN NOW" so no confusion. Cespedes is a free agent after next year, so I think it was a great deal for Oakland. They get a real shot at a WS victory, they pick up a draft pick from the Sox, and they free themselves of 10 million dollars salary in 2015.

The deal tells me that the Sox ownership believes bad karma struck in 2014 and with Cespedes, the Sox will bounce back well in 2015
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The A's gave up a lot in Cespedes, who in many ways was the team's franchise player. It's even more controversial when Lester is essentially a rental whose contract is done at the end of this season.

Are the A's not confident in their pitching as the stats show? Kazmir and Chavez have good numbers but are they expected to run out of gas by September? Hopefully the absence of Cespedes will not torpedo the A's offense.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    How about the Lackey trade. Wow, what a day they are having.
  • Options

<< <i>The A's gave up a lot in Cespedes, who in many ways was the team's franchise player. It's even more controversial when Lester is essentially a rental whose contract is done at the end of this season.

Are the A's not confident in their pitching as the stats show? Kazmir and Chavez have good numbers but are they expected to run out of gas by September? Hopefully the absence of Cespedes will not torpedo the A's offense. >>

I think the A's are counting on the old adage being true that pitching wins playoff games. As it appears right now, they have the best pitching heading into the playoffs.
  • Options

<< <i>How about the Lackey trade. Wow, what a day they are having. >>

I guess the Sox didn't want a 36-37 year old pitcher who is doing rather well this year to come back at MLB minimum next year. I hope this one pays off for them.

espn:

<< <i>The Boston Red Sox have traded veteran pitcher John Lackey to the St. Louis Cardinals for outfielder Allen Craig and right-hander Joe Kelly >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The A's gave up a lot in Cespedes, who in many ways was the team's franchise player. It's even more controversial when Lester is essentially a rental whose contract is done at the end of this season.

Are the A's not confident in their pitching as the stats show? Kazmir and Chavez have good numbers but are they expected to run out of gas by September? Hopefully the absence of Cespedes will not torpedo the A's offense. >>

I think the A's are counting on the old adage being true that pitching wins playoff games. As it appears right now, they have the best pitching heading into the playoffs. >>

Detroit had great pitching last year but it did not work out for them
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think the A's are counting on the old adage being true that pitching wins playoff games. As it appears right now, they have the best pitching heading into the playoffs. >>

Detroit had great pitching last year but it did not work out for them >>

ha ha, there's that too! I guess your team has to score 2 or 3 runs!
  • Options
    Miller to Baltimore, Drew to the Yankees. double wow!
  • Options
    Detroit gets Price. A's get Lester. There's your ALDS Game 5 starters right there folks.

Personally I think Boston got the better end of the trade. Cespedes is still young and has tremendous upside despite his slumps and numerous minor injuries. Pitchers, regardless of their past successes, are one pitch away from major arm injury and drastic regression.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    I am actually surprised the Sox did not do more. Uehara and Breslow were two I expected gone too.
  • Options
    For the A's the final outcome of this trade will be known by November. Win the World Series it'll be considered an excellent trade. Go one 'n done in the ALDS (like they always do and personally I think history will repeat again this season) and it'll be considered a trade for nothing. The A's opportunity window is very small so if they don't get it done this season it'll be never.

Meanwhile on the other side of the bay the Giants took their sweet time fumbling through the bottom of the barrel looking for more cheap over-the-hill, expired unwanted rejects. The Giants: too cheap to buy yet too worried about keeping butts in seats to sell. Only two more months of more 5-game losing streaks.
  • Options

<< <i>For the A's the final outcome of this trade will be known by November. Win the World Series it'll be considered an excellent trade. Go one 'n done in the ALDS (like they always do and personally I think history will repeat again this season) and it'll be considered a trade for nothing. The A's opportunity window is very small so if they don't get it done this season it'll be never.

Meanwhile on the other side of the bay the Giants took their sweet time fumbling through the bottom of the barrel looking for more cheap over-the-hill, expired unwanted rejects. The Giants: too cheap to buy yet too worried about keeping butts in seats to sell. Only two more months of more 5-game losing streaks. >>

Yea, Peavy was not the answer for them that is for sure.
  • Options
    Cardinals got Lackey cheaply, IMO. No prospects for a decent starter with a low salary next year!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>For the A's the final outcome of this trade will be known by November. Win the World Series it'll be considered an excellent trade. Go one 'n done in the ALDS (like they always do and personally I think history will repeat again this season) and it'll be considered a trade for nothing. The A's opportunity window is very small so if they don't get it done this season it'll be never.

Meanwhile on the other side of the bay the Giants took their sweet time fumbling through the bottom of the barrel looking for more cheap over-the-hill, expired unwanted rejects. The Giants: too cheap to buy yet too worried about keeping butts in seats to sell. Only two more months of more 5-game losing streaks. >>

Yea, Peavy was not the answer for them that is for sure. >>

And the Giants had many equally important holes to fill besides starting pitching. They desperately need a 2B...didn't do that. A righty OF...didn't do that either. Need utility infielders who can hit above the Mendoza line...didn't do that either. As for 2B, Dan Uggla is reportedly gone. In his time in a Giants uniform he didn't have a single hit although he did commit 2 errors in a single inning.

In the more hitter friendly AL East ballparks I can see Cespedes good for 35-40+ homers per season and that's in addition to his excellent arm everybody knows about already.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    As a side note, I don't understand why Beane just about gave Tommy Milone away. Sam Fuld? He wasn't even good enough to make the team in April.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yea, Peavy was not the answer for them that is for sure. >>

And the Giants had many equally important holes to fill besides starting pitching. They desperately need a 2B...didn't do that. A righty OF...didn't do that either. Need utility infielders who can hit above the Mendoza line...didn't do that either. As for 2B, Dan Uggla is reportedly gone. In his time in a Giants uniform he didn't have a single hit although he did commit 2 errors in a single inning.

In the more hitter friendly AL East ballparks I can see Cespedes good for 35-40+ homers per season and that's in addition to his excellent arm everybody knows about already.

And he has Bradley beside him in center field who also has a cannon for an arm.

Hitters will think twice about trying to advance a base on either of them.

Cespedes will love that wall in left field. >>

• Options
    That was 2 different owners making the same mistake.

Clemens did not want to leave either but he sure came back to haunt them.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always said you can never have enough good pitching. Oak. may be looking for additional insurance in case an injury befalls their current pitching staff. They are all in for this year. As Al Davis used to say "just win baby".
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im happy to have Cepedes, I will say that I HATED Gomes before last year ever since that Tampa Bay/Red Sox brawl several years back but as it turned out Gomes will go down as one of the best clubhouse guys in recent Red Sox history, he was IMO the face of the '13 World Series Championship just like Millar in '04.