Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This just in -- Only one Kennedy coin per customer at the World's Fair of Money

2»

Comments

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Both the Rev Prf Buffalo and HOF coins sold for multiples of issue with the show labels in PR/MS70. >>

The difference is that those coins also had limited quantities - 50K or less - available. If the public is interested, there could be 200K or more Gold Kennedy's. As soon as the order limits are relaxed, the Telemarketers will order 1000s and package them in their own special, limited edition labels. It will not be hard to find a decent coin at a fair price.

So then the question becomes how many <redacted> will be chasing a few hundred ANA labels. I've thought about it, I will be at the ANA show for two days, it's not a problem for me to be there before 8am, and my credit card could withstand the charge. But I've decided I'm NOT going to chase the label to turn it over. And IF I purchase a coin, it will be for my personal collection, because of my connection to JFK (I know where I was on that day in November 1963). I've already ordered the 2 coin sets and I look forward to the 4 coin set when available. But I'm not chasing THOSE labels either. And so - to me - the Gold Kennedy label doesn't matter.

So when I visit the Mint's booth it will be to see what else is for sale, and will be before or after the Looney Toons crowds subside.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Given the TPG "across the street" requiring receipt for ANA show coin labels, I think they will be more desirable in the long run. >>

Actually, I think that in the long run, people will get over the label silliness and actually collect the coins.
  • Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭

<< <i>I think they will hold value at least >>

Why?
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The difference is that those coins also had limited quantities - 50K or less - available >>

Not true for Reverse Proof Buffalo's. One month ordering period, open mintage. They just sold less than 50,000 during the period.

The fact of the matter is - it's all about the show label. That's it.

Doesn't matter if they mint 5,000,000 between now and Dec 31st, if there are only "less than 2500" with the show label - that is the number that drives the price - mintage has nothing to do with it.

Now, ask me, would I invest in a show label??? NO.

Would I be a seller of a show label. YES.

• Options

<< <i>Actually, I think that in the long run, people will get over the label silliness and actually collect the coins. >>

I hope so too.

But we thought the same about First Strike/Early Release too........and it's worse now. Now we have autographs.....show labels.....etc.

• Options

<< <i>The number of units available at each retail location (Philadelphia and Denver facilities, Washington, D.C., headquarters and Chicago ANA World’s Fair of Money) will remain the same. There will be 500 units available initially at each United States Mint location (Philadelphia, Denver and Washington) and an additional 100 units per day for the first three days after the product launch. There will be 2,500 at the ANA, 500 available per day of the convention. >>

I read this statement again - and it seems to say that each of the retail locations (Phila,Denver,Wash DC) will have 500 initial units, and 100 units extra for the next three days. This means 500 on Aug 5th. If they all sell, Aug 6th -100 more; Aug 7- 100 more; Aug 8th -100 more. So total 800 units at retail locations other than the ANA.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I read this statement again - and it seems to say that each of the retail locations (Phila,Denver,Wash DC) will have 500 initial units, and 100 units extra for the next three days. This means 500 on Aug 5th. If they all sell, Aug 6th -100 more; Aug 7- 100 more; Aug 8th -100 more. So total 800 units at retail locations other than the ANA. >>

I am glad that you posted your interpretation. I have read the Mint statement posted by Jake Sherlock several times and I am still a bit confused. In the end, I interpreted the statement just as you did: Each location will have 500 coins on 8/5/14, then an extra 100 pieces each day after 8/5/14, for a total of 800 pieces. I actually called the Philadelphia gift shop yesterday and asked a representative about the limits. He said that they were not told of the available quantities, although he did clarify that there was a strict limit of one gold Kennedy commemorative per person, per day.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost 5,000 Kennedys that could get to the TPGs before the internet orders go ISR. Yep, fair and equal access as they say....image
  • Options
    So who can give a first hand account of the line at Philly the day of release of the clads? Was there a line?

What is the expectation for Tuesday? Anyone here expecting to go to Phila for the Gold?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think they will hold value at least >>

Why? >>

The attraction of the Kennedy family

The new type coin

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file