Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any interest in breaking a 1979 Wax Tray Sealed Case???

BBCE has a 1979 wax tray case on consignment at national. Any interest in a board break?

It's 192 wax trays (3 packs each). Can probably get Steve to wrap individually marked "from a sealed case"
if there is enough interest.

Cost would probably be around $170-$175/tray plus shipping with the service fee we would need to pay.

Post interest level to this thread ASAP or it could be gone before we can get it reserved.

Dave

Dave

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, definitely, if from a sealed case!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Yes

• Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    Yes!
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In!
  • Options
    jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    sure
  • Options
    jjwormjjworm Posts: 196 ✭✭
    I'm in!

Collecting:

- Post War baseball HOF RC's
    - 1980's unopened baseball
    - All Mutoscope and American Beauties

• Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Yes. I'd take a few if it would help.
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Count me in.
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    I would be interested.

Robb
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Here is a 79 rack pack case for sale:

Linky

• Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    In.
    Thanks for looking out for the boards Dave!!
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a 79 rack pack case for sale:

Linky

image >>

This is a WAX TRAY case and it comes directly from BBCE

Dave
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I would take a few of them!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here is a 79 rack pack case for sale:

Linky

image >>

This is a WAX TRAY case and it comes directly from BBCE >>

I know, I was being sarcastic. There is a history with this seller on these boards.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of surprised people are up for paying $175 per tray when the same packs were available for $50-60 in quantity here less than two years ago. Just curious, is there a price level at which your interest would drop off?
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    To the op: yeppers
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Kind of surprised people are up for paying $175 per tray when the same packs were available for $50-60 in quantity here less than two years ago. Just curious, is there a price level at which your interest would drop off? >>

The biggest reason for the premium here is the sealed case aspect. The chance may not happen again.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    If there's another spot I'm i
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    In
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Kind of surprised people are up for paying $175 per tray when the same packs were available for $50-60 in quantity here less than two years ago. Just curious, is there a price level at which your interest would drop off? >>

The biggest reason for the premium here is the sealed case aspect. The chance may not happen again. >>

Exactly. As an unopened collector, thats as good as it gets.

79 wax boxes sold for $400 two tears ago, too. Those price points are long gone.

Steve sold a 78 rack box at the National for $4500 and a 77 rack box for $5800.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    In
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    At least 1 if available.

I saw a few ugly ones with shredded corners were going for 100, and another guy had em at 195...so Steve, sealed case, wrapped, 170-175...sounds pretty good for the board, otherwise we can all fight it out for the few he had at 150 I think.

Good lookin out Dave.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    I spoke to Steve and he agreed that if the case is still available once we fill-up a board break subscription for all 192 wax trays
    he will set aside the case for us. The logistics will work exactly the same way as we do regular board breaks (and similar to
    how we did the BID-TO-BREAK in May in the Memory Lane Auction):

1. All payments will go directly to Steve
    2. Steve will add a 5$ fee for wrapping trays and marking them "from a sealed case"
    3. Steve's usual postage rates will apply and be added to all totals

This is a decent chance for the "board" to go to National together without everyone actually being physically present. IMO it would be
    very cool if everyone could share in this one.

We will need to move quickly, so I will start a separate thread for tray requests. We will apply a modified form of the "standard" rules,
    with the only modification being a change to the limits and timeframes (so that we have a chance to actually get the case before someone
    else scoops it up).

The specific changes are:

1) The thread is "live" from the instant it is posted.
    2) Since we need to get all 192 trays accounted for, the first request limit will be 12 trays (you can request as few as 1 or as many as 12)
    3) Every 12 hours after the thread is first posted, additional requests may be made for up to 6 more trays

I hope we get maximum participation, but the need to be timely to have a chance at this case before someone else buys it for themselves is
    very real.

The case is priced at $30,000, which comes to $156.25 per tray (3 packs per tray). Add 5% for BBCE wraping fee and standard BBCE shipping
    costs and I expect the final price per tray will be in the vicinity of $170 +/- a few dollars either way.

In the interests of time the break thread will not have all of the details in it (until I can get them added), so refer back to this thread and the BID-TO-BREAK
    thread if you need additional details.

Good luck to all of us!

Dave
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Posted my question here to avoid clogging the sign up thread...

Can you guys help me understand the cost for 3 sealed packs for $170? I'm always interested in getting in on a fun rip, but I am having a hard time understanding the cost/benefit. Do tray's have better odds of the high value cards? Better centering? The only ebay history I see is one BBCE sealed wax tray sold early this month for $141. I see people signing up for 6+ packs...that's some hefty coin. Also, when i scan through the PSA price guide of PSA 9's, theres only about 10 hits that would cover the cost of the rip. Thanks!
  • Options

<< <i>Posted my question here to avoid clogging the sign up thread...

Can you guys help me understand the cost for 3 sealed packs for $170? I'm always interested in getting in on a fun rip, but I am having a hard time understanding the cost/benefit. Do tray's have better odds of the high value cards? Better centering? The only ebay history I see is one BBCE sealed wax tray sold early this month for $141. I see people signing up for 6+ packs...that's some hefty coin. Also, when i scan through the PSA price guide of PSA 9's, theres only about 10 hits that would cover the cost of the rip. Thanks! >>

Wax trays are scarcer than regular wax packs from same year, and are factory sealed, but main reason for premium in this case is that these trays are coming fresh from a sealed case, which almost never happens with product from that era.

• Options
    Steve has the wax tray case priced attractively relative to the wax boxes he has (about $52.08/pack in the trays versus about $55.55/pack in the wax boxes).

The extra cost comes from the 5% to shrink-wrap it and authenticate it as coming from a sealed case (if you want that service)

and S&H (which was probably added to the $141 you saw on Ebay, which would be $47/pack).

Also consider that the overhead of setting up a booth at National is a bit heavier than eBay, so pricing at National always tends to be a bit stronger
    than online.

And whe you consider Tim's points too, it's really not that much of a premium at all.

Dave