Home U.S. Coin Forum

How Often Are "Genuines" Sent Packing As "Fakes"?

We know there are tons of "rare" coins out there that are actually fakes-- and coin dealers see these constantly. But does that constantly reoccurring phenomenon blind coin experts to rarities that come before them that are actually genuine? And if so, how often? I think of a recent case where a 1792 U.S. plug center cent was deemed a fake by multiple experts until finally being deemed genuine.

In other words, does the Bill Clinton/Al Gore Illusion take place in the world of numismatics?

I saw this on a TV science show-- they flashed a picture of two well known figures on the screen for 5 seconds and you were supposed to guess who they were. Seeing the picture, I quickly guessed Bill Clinton and Al Gore, no questions asked. As it turns out, they were BOTH Bill Clinton-- in fact with Clinton's exact face duplicated! But on one figure, Clinton had Al Gore's hair. And everyone they tested fell for this trick the same as I did. The mind has preconceived notions that REALLY have to be fought against-- even when seeing the obvious.

Sometimes I wonder if widespread 'optical illusions' exist in the field of numismatics. ESPECIALLY if the owner of a super rare coin is a novice/newby/non-numismatist. As in--- the super rare coin you're showing me is obviously a fake. Why? Because it's too rare to be real, but mostly because it's too rare for YOU to be in possession of it.

Anyway, thoughts are welcome. Just thought I'd wax philosophical today.

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collectors or dealers with long experience in the hobby or business develop a "feel" for what specific coins should look like. They can easily spot obvious fakes and are at least suspicious of questionable items. Beginning collectors, or even experienced but isolated collectors, don't develop this "feel".

Ultra rare items can cause problems because few people have any "feel" for them because they never see them.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We know there are tons of "rare" coins out there that are actually fakes-- and coin dealers see these constantly. But does that constantly reoccurring phenomenon blind coin experts to rarities that come before them that are actually genuine? And if so, how often? I think of a recent case where a 1792 U.S. plug center cent was deemed a fake by multiple experts until finally being deemed genuine.

In other words, does the Bill Clinton/Al Gore Illusion take place in the world of numismatics?

I saw this on a TV science show-- they flashed a picture of two well known figures on the screen for 5 seconds and you were supposed to guess who they were. Seeing the picture, I quickly guessed Bill Clinton and Al Gore, no questions asked. As it turns out, they were BOTH Bill Clinton-- in fact with Clinton's exact face duplicated! But on one figure, Clinton had Al Gore's hair. And everyone they tested fell for this trick the same as I did. The mind has preconceived notions that REALLY have to be fought against-- even when seeing the obvious.

Sometimes I wonder if widespread 'optical illusions' exist in the field of numismatics. ESPECIALLY if the owner of a super rare coin is a novice/newby/non-numismatist. As in--- the super rare coin you're showing me is obviously a fake. Why? Because it's too rare to be real, but mostly because it's too rare for YOU to be in possession of it.

Anyway, thoughts are welcome. Just thought I'd wax philosophical today. >>

Your post reminds me of when I am checking coins for varieties.

I always look for a specific variety in a specific location. When I do not "see" what I expect, I usually move on to the next coins. This includes Doubled Dies where the doubling occurs in some other location.

For example, while going through a roll of 1960's Washington coins, I came across a 1970-D. My immediate reaction was to check the reverse for FS-801 or FS-802. Not seeing either of those, I quickly flipped it over for a look at the obverse.

I did not see "anything" at first. BUT, as I continued to look, my brain let go of what I was "looking for" and allowed me to see a nice Doubled Die Obverse. I was as close as a pinch to putting the coin back in the original roll.

As for the original subject matter, the first thing that folks "look" with shared opinion photographs, is whether or not they are looking at a fake. A lot of time, the brain will convince them that it is in fact a fake when in reality it is not.

This is one reason I always ask why some posters feel that the coin is a fake.

When the responses amount to "It just doesn't look right", I interpret that as the viewer over analyzing the coin with the intention of validating that its a fake.

It can be a tough call.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • I agree-- a lot of times I look at pics of certified genuine rarities and I see stuff that often passes for "red flags": looks too good... just looks 'off' to me... color looks unnatural.... etc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file