Home Sports Talk

So the Big Hurt escaped PED scrutiny.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Old news to those that follow MLB. Not news for those that no longer follow the game.

Frank Thomas was a big power hitter. His numbers from the mid nineties were easily eclipsed from the drug boys like McGwire, Sosa and Bonds.

Glad that the Hall electors could discern that Thomas was clean (if in fact he was). That is the cost though of the cheaters. Thomas' numbers were at the same time minimized by the scum and questioned by the cynical.

Comments

• CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Old news to those that follow MLB. New news for those that no longer follow the game.

Frank Thomas was a big power hitter. His numbers from the mid nineties were easily eclipsed from the drug boys like McGwire, Sosa and Bonds.

Glad that the Hall electors could discern that Thomas was clean (if in fact he was). That is the cost though of the cheaters. Thomas' numbers were at the same time minimized by the scum and questioned by the cynical. >>

I don't think his numbers were minimized to the legions of fans guys like Thomas and Griffey have. Fans of clean players (pitchers included) will always know that the stats of the Bonds' of the world hold no place near their favorites
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After seeing Frank Thomas yesterday, I firmly believe he never took anything.

He's STILL built like Dick Butkus!

The man is absolutely HUGE!!

Steve
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    It helps that Frank was massive early and maintained that general size/shape after his career concluded. He also had a relatively normal career arc with production & injuries.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think his numbers were minimized to the legions of fans guys like Thomas and Griffey have. >>

A lot of people were caught up in the Late 1990's home run derby era where 50 HR's in a season became pedestrian.

Too bad.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    thehallmark.......I think you said it perfectly. Body shape did not change and numbers never had crazy spikes. He was just a heck of a hitter and a truly massive guy.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always loved watching the Big Hurt play. Great hitter. After looking at his stats, one thing surprised me, he only made 5 all star teams. I would have thought he made more.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    As a Tribe fan, I saw the Big Hurt just demolish us time and time again. He could just plain hit the ball all over the field. I respected his game and he is very deserving of the Hall of Fame! 👍
  • Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thehallmark.......I think you said it perfectly. Body shape did not change and numbers never had crazy spikes. He was just a heck of a hitter and a truly massive guy. >>

Thomas played college football in the 80's...an environment filled with steroid abuse. He may very well have been on them well before he embarked on his MLB career, so saying his body didn't change from day one in MLB probably isn't a good clue, as he may very well have been on them years before he broke into MLB.

I wouldn't be so eager to dish out free passes to the guys that readily get them.

If Thomas were so eager to show that he was clean, he was more than welcome to take a real steroid test before there was testing. It matters little what you say...when you don't actually put up.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skin, can you please chime in on the Rose vs Cobb thread on the main forum, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was never a big fan of Thomas but always thought he was clean.
    Same with Jim Thome, who happens to be from my area. Did things the right way and quietly put together an outstanding career.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    I don't give free passes to anyone on PEDs. If forced to truly guess, I'll throw out a thumbs up or down like everyone else. But, I don't know why anyone would feel confident that someone else didn't take a drug. People go nuts saying Jeter didn't and I'm always wondering what on earth they have access to that would make them think they know that as opposed to suspecting that to be the case. I appreciate that most of the posts here share that tone of uncertainty.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15