Home Sports Talk

Will the MLB Trade Deadline Sizzle or Fizzle

bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
This new second play-off wild card team really has added some new teams in the mix. Used to be only the large market clubs made big moves at the deadline. Now many more teams feel like they have a chance and start thinking about diving in. Who will be moved when all is said and done? Will Thursday, July 31st non-waiver trade deadline sizzle or fizzle?
Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see the Mets do something to shore up the bullpen.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect Boston to sell: Carp, Gomes, the entire bullpen, and Jon Lester. If they can move Drew and Middlebrooks, I would be pleased. Fire sale is HOPEFULLY in the works.

Of course, if they sell just to pick up big contracts of washed up players, yuck.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    There are a few in the bullpen I would keep and Middlebrooks for sure. I hope they get rid of Drew he is an anchor around there neck. You could add Napoli and Doubront to your list too.
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I expect Boston to sell: Carp, Gomes, the entire bullpen, and Jon Lester. If they can move Drew and Middlebrooks, I would be pleased. Fire sale is HOPEFULLY in the works.

Of course, if they sell just to pick up big contracts of washed up players, yuck. >>

Trading John Lester just a few months ago didn't seem to be a situation the sox would consider. Now they realize that in all likely hood he is not going to sign for what they are comfortable offing in years and money so they should get what he can bring at the deadline, some very high end prospects ready to begin their MLB careers. LA and St Louis seem to have these prospects that the sox covet. St. Louis outfielder Oscar Taveras or Los Angeles’ Joc Pederson, an outfielder, Corey Seager, a shortstop, or Julio Urias, a pitcher, are the type of studs the sox should get for Lester in any deal. Unless Ben gets blown away early in the week, this will go down to the wire on Thursday when GM's line up to get an ace to fight it out in the race to the world series. What a great year to be one of the few selling teams.
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a BIG fire sale on Yawkey Way. Lester is gone, probably along with Lackey and Doubront. Carp and Gomes may well be getting a ticket out of BOS as well. Not so sure about Middlebrooks...I think the Yanks might snap up Drew as a Jeter replacement, if only temporarily.

The year is total toast, not even in the hunt. Huge disappointment...what a difference a year makes!!!

Bring on the Patriots !!!
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This new second play-off wild card team really has added some new teams in the mix. Used to be only the large market clubs made big moves at the deadline. Now many more teams feel like they have a chance and start thinking about diving in. Who will be moved when all is said and done? Will Thursday, July 31st non-waiver trade deadline sizzle or fizzle? >>

Even with the additional wild card team, I still think only the large market clubs will make the biggest moves. Smaller market teams may make deals but are more likely to settle for the second-tier players.

I am surprised at all of this talk about the Rays not moving David Price. I don't think they make the playoffs and even if they do, he's on a 1-year deal. He'll walk away in the offseason and they'll be left with nothing in return. I don't see them giving him the mega-contract he and his agent will surely seek, especially considering their market size and struggles with attendance.

<< <i>

<< <i>This new second play-off wild card team really has added some new teams in the mix. Used to be only the large market clubs made big moves at the deadline. Now many more teams feel like they have a chance and start thinking about diving in. Who will be moved when all is said and done? Will Thursday, July 31st non-waiver trade deadline sizzle or fizzle? >>

Even with the additional wild card team, I still think only the large market clubs will make the biggest moves. Smaller market teams may make deals but are more likely to settle for the second-tier players.

I am surprised at all of this talk about the Rays not moving David Price. I don't think they make the playoffs and even if they do, he's on a 1-year deal. He'll walk away in the offseason and they'll be left with nothing in return. I don't see them giving him the mega-contract he and his agent will surely seek, especially considering their market size and struggles with attendance. >>

The Rays will not pay to keep him, he is gone this winter. Would love to have him in a sox uniform, can you imagine what Papi would have to say...
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I'd welcome him to the Orioles but don't think they'll get the chance.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    sizzle!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Great day for the Red Sox!

<< <i>Great day for the Red Sox! >>

Indeed, it was a great day. Over the winter the team will add a #1 and #2 starter and we should be much more competitive.