Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2008 Topps Heritage Real One Auto Bob Smith

Ya never know when a card will take ya on a journey to the life of a major league baseball player. As Bob Lemke referenced Smith as one of the "uncommon" commons on his BLOG..

Robert Gilchrist Smith may not be on anyone's radar but he found his way onto mine and I'm a more enriched collector for it.

Robert (Gilchrist) Smith (died in 2013, age 82) played in the majors for 4 years. Unfortunately it was a less than stellar career.

But, he played in the majors!

Is that great or what? He started in the minors in 1948 – drafted by Boston. His career was halted by being drafted into the Army in 1952.

Having a few pieces of a major leaguer’s collection is really something to treasure. The dog tags that I picked up provide the kind of provenance anyone would look for in determining that all the pieces came from Mr Smith’s home.

As a baseball bank collector, the Pirates ball is a real keeper! It includes Clemente on the ball – I haven’t pinpointed the exact year yet. There’s usually one player that does that.

Bob Smith

Pitcher

Born: February 1, 1931
Woodsville, New Hampshire
Died: April 1, 2013 (aged 82)
Augusta, Georgia
Batted: Right Threw: Left
MLB debut
April 29, 1955 for the Boston Red Sox
Last MLB appearance
September 23, 1959 for the Detroit Tigers
Career statistics
Win-Loss record 4-9
ERA 4.05
Strikeouts 93
Teams
Boston Red Sox (1955)
St. Louis Cardinals (1957)
Pittsburgh Pirates (1957–59)
Detroit Tigers (1959)

I picked up the bank that was in his collection at a very fair price and it's in superb shape!

1960s Pittsburgh Pirates Coin Bank - a premium of Lee County Bank.

And here's his dog tags. For those who served in this era of ID numbers - it was before they changed to SS #'s - my ID number was US54951609. The "US" designated a draftee.

Robert G. Smith - 1952 Military ID tags

There's some other military items but this is the one that's "personal" to Mr Smith.

I'd like to add to this thread as I pick up more information.

He had a 58 & 59T card plus an error.

Here's a cool cabinet photo of Smith's high school basketball team - he's on the far right. There some sigs on the back - unfortunately not one of Mr Smith.

Of interest, the 4th player from the right is John Bagonzi who also was picked up for the minors in 1948 - also was drafted (Korean War) but unfortunately blew out his arm in the first season. But, he did go on to become a superb BB coach and wrote two books.

Woodsville High School Basketball Team

Here's a cool tie tack he received for being "All League" in 1948.

If I get any more information, I'll post. This is the kind of stuff that makes collecting fun and interesting.

Thanx for viewing.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    What got you collecting Mr Smith's stuff Mike? Were you inspired by the blog?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What got you collecting Mr Smith's stuff Mike? Were you inspired by the blog? >>

Hiya Matt

Nice to see you and talk - how have you been?

It was purely accidental. Was looking for games and came across the bank and read the description - it got me interested.

So, I looked for other items being sold by the seller. I got outbid on an auto ball and procrastinated on a scout pin but overall happy with what I picked up.

Thanx for asking.
    Mike
  • Options
    Cool story Mike! I've been good. Just working, waiting for winter as always image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Cool story Mike! I've been good. Just working, waiting for winter as always image >>

Winter? What Winter! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Cool story Mike! I've been good. Just working, waiting for winter as always image >>

Winter? What Winter! LOL >>

You are right Doug. I'm waiting for not as hot extended summer haha
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When we look at "mediocre" pro players we must remember that they must of been considered good/great at a lower level, to get to the "bigs" just to be an average player. It speaks to their talent that they did get there-to the top of the class.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".