Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Johnny Bench Sets (Collectors)

JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone,

My first post on this sight and have to say I really enjoy reading a lot of the threads. Just wanted to know if there are any Bench collectors out there? I recently started the JB basic set. Not all the way there but getting closer. Since getting back into card collecting (after being away from it since 1988) I figured why not go with my childhood hero and complete the basic set. Not so sure I want to dive into the master set but the basic and possibly the Topps set seem doable. Anyone out there working on or have completed the JB set(s)?

Comments

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums! I've completed the JB basic set and the JB Topps set (not graded), but there are still a few that I haven't gotten in the master set. This thread needs some scans, so here's one:

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking Kahn's. Thanks for posting.
  • redlegsredlegs Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

Welcome to the PSA forum. I have been collecting Bench cards for a long time. Attached is my Master set. I would love to someday finally obtain a 1970 Topps Test Candy Lid.

Phil

Johnny Bench Master Set
    Wow! What a collection. I have a couple of the cards that you have in the same grade. 1971 JB OPC PSA 8 and 1971 TGM PSA 7. Having those two in high grade I know is hard to find. What has been a couple of the more difficult ones for you get in high grade? I'm sure there are more than a couple that meet the criteria.
    Thank you.
    A few that come to mind include the 1973 Topps Comics PSA 10. I paid about $1,000 for that one from Heritage auctions years ago. The 1967 Reds postcard PSA 6 I found raw on ebay for $20. Another toughie was the 1972 Topps test candy lid PSA 8. I also got that one raw on ebay for about $300.

Phil
    Here are a few oddball and hard to find items.

1972 Topps original photo for Bench's in action card.
    1976 and 1977 Topps blank back proofs
    1971 Bench poster
    1968-70 Shillitos (not mine)

Absolutely love the 76 bench blank back proof. I am new to the grading part but that card looks to be a 9 minimum and most likely a ten. Because it is a proof is that why they did not put a number grade? Thanks for sharing.
    For the proof cards the grading companies won't give a numerical grade, they will only designate if it is authentic.
    JB Link

Looking for some help on a potential purchase. If any of the Bench experts out there has an opinion of this card I would appreciate your feedback. When I first got back into collecting this year I would buy the case instead of the card and quickly realized that there was a huge difference in eye appeal. Contemplating adding this card (link above) to my collection. I am adding at this point only grades 9 and 10 (exception 71). Is the centering on this card normal? Top to bottom seems way off to me but maybe it is in the range of a 9 or 10. Thanks for your feedback. This is a graded card but do not want to reveal the grade until I get the feedback. Thanks for looking.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    Thanks to everyone for posting some very cool Bench items. After seeing them it makes me want to start the Master Set but I need to complete the basic and Topps set first. My latest purchase! Only 3 more to go to compete the Bench basic set.

Redlegs,

Where did you find the original In Action Photo of Bench? That is a great photo.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Nice 81. You don't see many without the smudge in his name.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    Thanks. I did not realize that a smudge was an issue. I had a hard time finding one the was decently centered.

<< <i>Redlegs,

Where did you find the original In Action Photo of Bench? That is a great photo. >>

That was sold by "Topps Vault" on ebay a few years ago.
    Here is a new addition to my collection. A 1974 OPC Bench PSA 9. It is the only 9 with none higher.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nicely cut for an OPC. Zero tilt!!
    That is as good as it gets for that card. A monster pickup! Without a doubt the best looking 74 OPC Bench in existence. Do you know if this was newly graded or has it been around for a while? Congrats.
    Thanks. I believe it's a newly graded card. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to acquire this one.
  • Wow... That is a beautiful Bench o pee chee.
    Collect Brooks Robinson and unique O's items
    Not as nice as the '74 OPC, but it's still a Bench card gosh darnit.

I've finally figured out how to get nicely formatted responses

...with carriage returns and pictures...

...just use the "Quick Reply" feature, do your own HTML image coding for pictures

...and hit Enter to your heart's content.

• Will you sell 71 bench poster
  • I have that Bench poster if you want to buy it. Send me a pm.
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those Reds SGA posters are great!
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach

Al
  • Would take you 70 posterSPI
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is pretty apparent by now that redlegs is not interested in selling the poster, but I would recommend simply PM'ng him directly with your request.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    I'm sad and blue...Give me that thing gimme gimme that thing...or ding

Text

Al
    Originally posted by: Calebspapa
    Would take you 70 posterSPI

I'm sorry but I would like to keep that poster. It took me a long time to find one.

Thanks.

I recently sent my 1968 Uniroyal Johnny Bench to PSA for grading. It's in rough shape but there has never been one graded before.

Here is a 1968 Binger, Oklahoma, Johnny Bench parade advertisement poster.

Originally posted by: redlegs
    I recently sent my 1968 Uniroyal Johnny Bench to PSA for grading. It's in rough shape but there has never been one graded before.

Sick card. I first saw a Uniroyal Rose card back in 1988 at a card shop as part of a partial set. I wandered away, came back a few hours later, and it had sold. Doh.
    Hope you wandered to a good place, Bob

Al
  • Wow some really nice items. I collect Bench as well and my most odd item is a smaller dairy product container. Haven't seen very many. I'll have to dig it out and post a picture to see if you guys know something I don't about it.
    Wow!! Some great Bench items. Never heard of the Uniroyal or the Binger Parade advertisement before. Recently picked up this 69 Bench Stamp off of Ebay. Pretty happy to find a high grade one. These don't come up that often.

How do you misspell Johnny?
    Originally posted by: bobsbbcards

How do you misspell Johnny?

I did not even catch the error on the poster. The real question is now is did they reissue a corrected version? I am guessing not.
    I just had my Uniroyal Bench graded. I'm happy with the PSA 1.

Redlegs,

Congrats. It looks great in the PSA slab!
    I was very happy to add a couple of Bench items for my Topps set.

imageimage
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    That Candy Lid is awesome!!
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    That Candy Lid is awesome!!

Thanks Dan. I was very happy to win this for a decent price. I love the other side with Yaz. and Seaver (I think).

I always thought that the Sports Collectors Digest was way off in terms of the date on the 1976 Kenwood Plaza Johnny Bench. I was out on the website Newspapers.com and found this 1970 article in the Cincinnati Enquirer talking about Johnny Bench's appearance. I'm fairly sure that the card was given out during this appearance.

The Kenwood Plaza Bench is definitely from 1970. I agree that the catalog seems in error on this point. Johnny's sideburns in '75 and '76 were down to his knees (well, almost).