Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question regarding World Trade dollars

While doing some research on U.S. Trade dollar, I discovered other nations also minted them specifically for trade. Was wondering if I missed any not listed.
Mexico 8 Reale (the preferred coin of Chineese)
Great Britain Trade
Japan Trade
Chineese trade
French Piastre de Commerce
?????

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Austria 1781 Maria Theresa dated thalers - for Persian Empire trade
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Netherlands:

Silver riders for trade with the east indies
    silver Lion talers for trade with the Baltic sea area
    gold ducats for world trade
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Denmark (The famous "Greenland Dollar")
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the heck is Denmark's Greenland Dollar?
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Austria 1781 Maria Theresa dated thalers - for Persian Empire trade >>

1780? Still minted today.

Also, Italy produced a tallero for Eritrea in 1918 which probably falls into this category as well.

Greenland "dollar" - one of the most interesting of this type of coin. Here's a link from Heritage: linky

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    Just when I thought the Japanese trade dollar would be one of the most difficult "trade" dollars to acquire, along comes the Greenland dollar. Unfortunately, that looks pretty much unattainable. On the bright side, the Japanese trade dollar now seems cheap.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of looking at which countries minted dollars (silver) for trade, you could look at which coinage was used for trade, intended or not. Since much of the trade was carried out between the west and Asia (in early years, primarily the southern port of Canton, using the "Canton System"), you might look at which coins are known with asian chopmarks to signify their use in trade. This link lists out known examples with chopmarks as well as their assumed rarity (specifically examples known with Chopmarks) which will also give you an idea for which coins were used most often in trade vs. not often at all.

Note that this rarity scale is about 60 years old at this point but is for the most part pretty accurate even today.