Home Sports Talk
Options

Walter Payton

Happy 60th birthday, Walter!

Comments

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Walter Payton was incredible. Thanks for posting this, Green Crow.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Walter was one of my favorite players. The strong arm into defenders was priceless.

He died way to young.

Edit to add: Damn, gone for 15 years now.
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    R.I.P. Walter, you were special.
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    Sweetness went down the Soul Train Line
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a lifelong Bears fan, I really miss the guy. In the late 70s and early 80s, he was predominantly the team. I still to this day harbor animosity where Super Bowl XX is concerned, because he unquestionably deserved a touchdown in that game. Instead, the novelty act that was William Perry received not one, but two goal-line opportunities that should have gone to Sweetness.

He was never the biggest, fastest or strongest, but his agility and toughness was second to none. Not even Chuck Muncie possessed those attributes. The thing I loved most about Walter is that he never scampered out of bounds to avoid a hit. Whenever a defender made a conscious decision to lay a hat on him, rest assured there was an epic collision. And more often than not, the other party was blown up. Sweetness never absorbed blows; he delivered them with the ball in his hands.

Enjoy
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was a great one alright....much better than Sanders.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He was a great one alright....much better than Sanders. >>

....and nearly as good as Chuck Muncie! image
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I still to this day harbor animosity where Super Bowl XX is concerned, because he unquestionably deserved a touchdown in that game. Instead, the novelty act that was William Perry received not one, but two goal-line opportunities that should have gone to Sweetness.
    >>

I always wondered if Ditka did that out of spite. I agree. That sucked.