Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Remove scratch from PCGS Holder

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a couple of slabs with scratches. I have been told that there are ways to remove/polish them rather than reholdering. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    There is a product, I will try to find the name of it.

Used it before and I have found that it works well on minor scratches, but not on deep ones.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plast-X works quite well. It just takes some diligence and rubbing effort but has polished away superficial scratches in minutes for me.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    Novus #2 is the product I was thinking of.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
  • Options
    That is the stuff!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
  • Options
    Please tell us about your results.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    I wrote a blog post about removing scratches from slabs a while back. You can read it here. I still use the same method today to renew crapped out plastic.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    Thank you. Does this work for PCGS and NGC?
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    I use Slab-Renew or Past-X. Both work fine.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I just tried some Kit "Scratch Out" I had on hand. For all auto finishes plus plastic and plexiglass. Safe for clear coat it says. It took out one small scratch I found with just a bit of effort. Went over it twice. It also cleaned and brightened the slab surface so I went ahead and cleaned about 10 slabs. They all look much fresher now.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you. Does this work for PCGS and NGC? >>

I have used it for both.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I have used it for both. >>

In general, PCGS slabs are much easier to remove scratches from. NGC plastic tends to hairline, and from a photography standpoint can at times become next to impossible to photograph with direct light. You can get around scuffy slabs in images by diffusing your light, but then coins tend to look dead.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I have used it for both. >>

In general, PCGS slabs are much easier to remove scratches from. NGC plastic tends to hairline, and from a photography standpoint can at times become next to impossible to photograph with direct light. You can get around scuffy slabs in images by diffusing your light, but then coins tend to look dead. >>

Make sure your final polish is in the same direction that your lighting comes from. So, in my case my lights are primarily always at 10 and 2 and I make sure my final polish is vertical. This way the hairlines on the slab are parallel to the light and largely invisible.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're near an auto store just pick up a bottle of Meguiar's PlastX. It works great with a terry cloth or micro fiber.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.