Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New "Snow" book just announced!

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is the two volume set of the Flying Eagle and Indian Cent Attribution Guide. It will be a hardcover, 900 pages, and full color.

This project started in 1988 and was first published as "Flying Eagle and Indian Cents" in 1992. It was 161 pages, B&W and I was very proud of it at the time. By 2000 it was a four volume set, B&W and nearly 750 pages in length. That was finished in 2008 and sold out last year.

Now, with the pictures converted to color, this is the ultimate library edition of this important book for Flying Eagle and Indian cent collectors.

I expect to have the final edits done by the end of August. It should be ready by December.

Link to the Kickstarter event - please help me reach my goal!
Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SunnywoodSunnywood Posts: 2,683
    Fantastic job Rick! Congrats on the culmination of a years-long endeavor. This will undoubtedly be THE reference tool for years to come.

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an autographed copy of the first book. Guess this one will be on my list in the very near future.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you clarify this a bit? If I pledge $225 and the goal is not reached...am I out my $225? I would love to pre order a set of your books!
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just signed up---I definitely want the hb 2 vol. set. The old spiral bound, 4 vol. set is quite useful, and I look forward to reading updated entries in the new edition.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's cool. Any idea how many copies are likely to be printed?
  • Options

<< <i>Could you clarify this a bit? If I pledge $225 and the goal is not reached...am I out my $225? I would love to pre order a set of your books! >>

You're only charged if the goal is reached.
  • Options
    If the goal is not reached, then no money changes hands. If more than the goal is reached, more books will be printed.

When I self-published my first book in 1990, I pre-sold enough to be in the black. That time, I had to do it person to person. Now, the internet makes it much easier. I will still be going person to person at the ANA show, but now with Kickstarter, it is much easier to get the ball rolling.
  • Options

<< <i>If the goal is not reached, then no money changes hands. If more than the goal is reached, more books will be printed.

When I self-published my first book in 1990, I pre-sold enough to be in the black. That time, I had to do it person to person. Now, the internet makes it much easier. I will still be going person to person at the ANA show, but now with Kickstarter, it is much easier to get the ball rolling. >>

I'm in! Just made my pledge. I sure hope you reach your goal...but I suspect you will exceed it substantially! Where's Charmy? image
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great News, Rick. I'm in.

OINK
  • Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    Rick,

Besides seeing this here, received your email regarding this. I understand the self-publishing part as I have done the same.

Not sure I understand the $42,500 cost, is this the estimated print cost?
    Book is two volume, 900 pages, 8-1/2 by 11, color throughout, hardcover with a wrap around dusk jacket with full color on both front and back. Assuming high quality paper inside the book.
    Understand also the more you print, the cheaper per book.

I can check with my printers, depending on the number printed, can get an estimate using the above.
    How many copies are you planning based upon the 42K estimate? Just for kicks, I can get an estimate using 1,000 copies.
    Obviously if the same quality and cheaper, it might save you some money.

Also from reading some of the posts herein and elsewhere regarding making ebooks, a PDF is not the same as an ebook, could be wrong, but I believe the process in creating this makes a more interactive searchable ebook, and also that some PDF have format problems on different platforms, am sure some one here can assist on this topic if needed.

Assume if one does not contribute to your kickstarter project, the retail of the books, when printed will be $225 from the two volume hardbound set?

Thanks
    Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! Can we re-post the link elsewhere? like Facebook? I always ask before doing so, but I can't think of a reason not.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not work with a publisher on this?
  • Options
    Fantastic News Rick! As to a publisher you have many fees and formatting and editing can be an issue, if you self publish you are in control of every thing including numbers in print.
  • Options
    Yes, please repost where you see fit.

Kevin, thanks for the publishing offer. I have a printer lined up. The final edit is not finished as the Kickstarter contributors will need to be listed. I think the retail on the set will be $250. I have a minimum print quantity lined up, but we'll see if it is low or high depending on the response.

I appreciate the interest in this. It is a long time in the making.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, Rick. Just put my money in for the books image
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered yesterday, everyone please jump in!!!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kick
    Doug
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Worthy project Rick.

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic project, Rick. I am in!!
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 997 ✭✭✭
    Sweet! Also, Rick will the PDF be updated from time to time? Either way, I'm all in!
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each of us who took Rick's "Secrets of Flying Eagle and Indian Cents" class at this year's Summer Seminar were very fortunate enough to receive an "advance" digital copy of the of Rick's latest Attribution Guide. It's not only helpful in identifying varieties, it's very interesting and educational on all sorts of topics, like how/why coins having doubling, misplaced digits, die and hub changes, and die polishing lines/gauges, significant events surrounding production dates, and much more. It's very obvious an enormous amount of research was put into producing this book.

It will be well worth the wait - just saying!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I just backed the project officially. All in. If the retail price is $250, then $225 is a solid 10% discount. Plus all the perks of the PDF file AND the guidebook ... I mean seriously. This is a no-brainer.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>Each of us who took Rick's "Secrets of Flying Eagle and Indian Cents" class at this year's Summer Seminar were very fortunate enough to receive an "advance" digital copy of the of Rick's latest Attribution Guide >>

Yeah, but was it signed? image
    Looking forward to getting this and officially adding Indian and FE cents to my attribution repertoire.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good luck!

I can't wait
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Weekend bump. image
  • Options

<< <i>I just backed the project officially. All in. If the retail price is $250, then $225 is a solid 10% discount. Plus all the perks of the PDF file AND the guidebook ... I mean seriously. This is a no-brainer. >>

image All in yesterday as well
  • Options
    Thanks all! I've been away on vacation the last two weeks - a driving trip with my family to Washington DC. Getting this started on the road between Colonial Williamsburg and the National Air and Space museums was a bit tricky. Luckily my son Kenny (who is training for his licence) volunteered to drive while I posted on my iPad. I am back in Tucson now, after 7,000 miles on the road.

Coin Week posted a nice news story about this event. : Link to CoinWeek.com
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Congratulations Rick! image
    From your website and posts here I know it will be superb.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options

<< <i> Luckily my son Kenny (who is training for his licence) volunteered to drive while I posted on my iPad. >>

Hopefully at the posted speed limit! image
  • Options
    ANA show bump!
  • Options
    Bump...come on folks...16 days left!
  • Options
    AGREED! I'm already in for everything! Hope this happens Rick
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    This should be a great book. I have one of his earlier books and have really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is the two volume set of the Flying Eagle and Indian Cent Attribution Guide. It will be a hardcover, 900 pages, and full color.

This project started in 1988 and was first published as "Flying Eagle and Indian Cents" in 1992. It was 161 pages, B&W and I was very proud of it at the time. By 2000 it was a four volume set, B&W and nearly 750 pages in length. That was finished in 2008 and sold out last year.

Now, with the pictures converted to color, this is the ultimate library edition of this important book for Flying Eagle and Indian cent collectors.

I expect to have the final edits done by the end of August. It should be ready by December.

Link to the Kickstarter event - please help me reach my goal! >>

Eight Days Left and a long ways to go! Another kickstart needed!

Good Luck!

• Options
    That's great Rick! I look forward to seeing it when it is printed.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    1 week to go!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the supporters who have pledged. This is a big project and the book is two volumes, full color and 900 pages! There is a lot of information in the book and I'm sure you will like it. By pledging now, you get the book ($250 value), PDF ($75 value), Guidebook ($18 value) and your name in the book as a Kickstarter booster.

I added a corporate supporter option for a full page ad in the book.

There is less than a week to go. I will allow a full-refund for a cancellation prior to the books release if you change your mind. So if you pledge and cancel, you still get your name (or Forum name) in the book.

It is less than 1/2 funded, so if you have been sitting on the fence, please pledge now.

Thanks

Rick
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder - looking forward to seeing the finished product. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file