Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

cleaning?

Is dipping in acetone and using a q-tip considered cleaning? How about if you use MS-70. Is this also considered cleaning? If you sent in a coin dipped in MS-70 would it pass or not?
Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
http://bit.ly/bxi7py

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I do not mean to sound like I am making light of your questions, but the correct answer to all of them is "it depends?"
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I would say that anything at all that you do to alter the appearance of a coin is "cleaning" it in the broadest terms.

There are limited cases where cleaning a coin is in fact a good thing, for example if not cleaning it will cause it to deteriorate.

I am sure there are cases where, when properly used, a coin treated with MS-70 would still grade, but there are so many factors involved that there is no way to answer this in a general way.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    I posted the question because one of the coins I collect are Canadian Large cents and so many of them just have crud on them. Not vertigreis but just plain old dirt. I have also had quite a few proof US coins that have spots of tarnish on them. I have used MS 70 on them and it removes all of the tarnish and you really can't see any difference from another "uncleaned" proof. It seems to restore them to their original condition. I am not refering to toning when I say tarnish either. I mean the ugly spots and streaks that some proofs develope. Thanks for your prompt reply.
    Olmanjon
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    MS70 is a detergent, correct?
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    It depends ... on whether you do it correctly. And the definition of correctly depends on what metal alloy is the coin, how much crud, what chemical you are using, how long you bathe the coin and then how quickly you rinse it clean (using water).

Some of the worst cleanings I've ever seen were due to the lack of rinse afterwards, or they waited too long before rinsing and the acetone proceeded to erode into the coin's surface.

I have never actually cleaned a coin myself, this is all gatherings from things I've read and seen others do. So I can't give you any specific data on chemicals etc.

but a quick search on this forum should provide answers. Many threads on this topic over the years. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    MS 70 is an "industrial strength coin brightner-contains no acid-does not give your coin that dipped look"Text.
    This is what it says on the bottle. It is used on mint state coins, such as proofs and ms65 or better unc. Removes most tarnish.
    I have had some canadian large cents sitting in acetone for months and doesn't seem to hurt the surfaces. This is only done on low grade coins which are collected for the various varieties. I had asked the orirginal question because I had a 1922 peace dollar which is not rare by any stretch of the imagination, which I bought at silver price, that had some pretty terrible tarnish on it. The coin looks as good as a certified MS63 that I have so decided to use the ms 70 on it. Came out looking pretty good. Not a coin that I would have certified but was curious as to whether or not a rare coin with ms70 on it would pass certification or not. For ovious reasons it would have to be a mint state coin as a very fine coin bright white would not look right. I have read all of the threads that have appeared here since 2007 and the act of cleaning or not cleaning seems to be all over the board. All depends on who you talk to. Personally I am not a big fan of cleaning but I do feel that a proof coin or ms state coin can be enhanced somewhat if it has distracting tarnish lines on it. My two cents only. Have a great weekend everyone.
    Olmanjon
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    PCGS likes to differentiate between "cleaning" and "conservation." A coin can be conserved using Acetone, Dip (which is the generic term for mild acid solution), and MS70 but only if the coin retains a natural color and does not get hairlines.

For example, if you use MS70 on a brown cent or equivalently toned world coin, and the color changes (they state on the bottle it removes toning), it's considered to have been cleaned. However, if MS70 is used on a MS coin to remove haze, and no color change occurs, then it has been conserved and will be slabbed with a grade by PCGS.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Thank you Steve. This clears it up (no pun intended) a little. I always wondered about the two terms-cleaning and conservation. A real sticky (no pun intended) subject for some people. Thanks again.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It depends ... on whether you do it correctly. And the definition of correctly depends on what metal alloy is the coin, how much crud, what chemical you are using, how long you bathe the coin and then how quickly you rinse it clean (using water).

Some of the worst cleanings I've ever seen were due to the lack of rinse afterwards, or they waited too long before rinsing and the acetone proceeded to erode into the coin's surface.

I have never actually cleaned a coin myself, this is all gatherings from things I've read and seen others do. So I can't give you any specific data on chemicals etc.

but a quick search on this forum should provide answers. Many threads on this topic over the years. image >>

I'm not sure that acetone would "erode into the coin's surface" as it only reacts to organic material (crud).
    Paul
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure that acetone would "erode into the coin's surface" as it only reacts to organic material (crud). >>

I meant acid not acetone. Slip of mind. Again I don't have personal experience cleaning but I've been warned by others not to leave harsh chemicals (acids) sitting and to rinse well.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is dipping in acetone and using a q-tip considered cleaning? How about if you use MS-70. Is this also considered cleaning? If you sent in a coin dipped in MS-70 would it pass or not? >>

MS70 will remove toning. If you have a silver coin with black toning you can reduce the amount of toning with careful use of MS70 but it will take off nice colors as well so use with care and in the right situations only. Don't dip in MS70, use a Qtip.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.