Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this really *that* special of a coin?

Saw this on CNG site!

To be honest, I'm surprised to see it on a dealer's FPL.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was actually just talking about this coin earlier today. It is quite a piece to have on a FPL, and a strong price if the buyer did pay the full $700K (the same coin sold in the Fall 2010 for $580K, which was three times over the estimate).

It is one of very few examples without a test cut and a historic type but not a type which I'm personally attracted to. I have somewhat specific tastes, but there are a large number of coins I'd buy for $700K before this one.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It is pretty special, but I didn't realize it was quite that special.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For posterity, it's useful to not have to navigate to an external site that may or may not be there over time.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    What's FPL?

I'd take this coin, but not for $700K, even if I had it. I'm spoiled with portraits I guess.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's FPL?

I'd take this coin, but not for $700K, even if I had it. I'm spoiled with portraits I guess. >>

Fixed price list.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Josh
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To each his own, I guess?

There are coins that hit you right in the chest like a thunderbolt. It's that quest for the exquisite: you know it when you see it.

Sometimes, it takes an enthusiastic owner/observer to make you see a piece in that special light. But once you see it from their perspective, you get it.

The pieces that smeagle(™) posts are almost always the former. For the rest, his write-ups do a crack job of explaining "the what" that makes them special.

This Delphi piece doesn't fall into either category for me. It would take a hell of an write-up, maybe some fantastic color photographs, and probably a TV special narrated by Morgan Freeman to make it a $700,000 coin.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To each his own, I guess?

This Delphi piece doesn't fall into either category for me. It would take a hell of an write-up, maybe some fantastic color photographs, and probably a TV special narrated by Morgan Freeman to make it a $700,000 coin. >>

Gotta agree, I think the coin is ho-hum. I wouldnt drop $2,000 on it but I guess I am the minority.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Pretty intricate die work for the time period. Plus it's a fairly large coin. I don't know if I would spend that much on it, if I had the money, but it is impressive and very rare.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin sold for a good 100k less. A bargain!
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This coin sold for a good 100k less. >>

Not when you add in the buyer's premium.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    What concerns me is the $600k example description says "probably the finest known" and yet judging by the photos I'd disagree. The $700k has all four quadrants/portraits intact by my eyes whereas the $600k has obvious damage in the second quadrant (bottom right).

Although the $600k does seem to be struck more centered and I know that's important. I still prefer the $700k example. It seems cleaner / less spots or marks.

Is CNG known for being lax with the phrase "probably the finest known" ??? Because I typically view that as a fact or highly educated guess. And when both examples are in the same proverbial "display case" one has to wonder.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often wonder about authenticity of such pieces: might there be a chance this is a product of modern skilled Bulgarians, or others? Let us not forget the quite serviceable dekadrachms produced some year ago....

As an anecdote, I could not afford a 4th C. miliareson but got one as a bit of a lark several years ago - evidently from age-appropriate silver that had then been fashioned into a lovely "reproduction" that looks suspiciously like some I've seen on sale. It actually has more tone than this coin ...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.