Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bidding on the Monstrous 1909 vdb PR67+RB is OPEN !

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just opened for bidding today and it stands currently at $20,000.

I put in a bid for $10,000 about 15 minutes ago and was immediately outbid. At least I threw my hat in the ring.

Heritage Auction

How high will it go?

Last sales price was $235,000 in 2010.

Photo by BluCCPhotos:

image

Comments

  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    It's already at the minimum bid for 40 tax foreclosed properties in the city of Detroit ?

    Burn down the tenement houses and start an urban farm. Of course if a person would rather have a penny. image

  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fake.





    just kidding. amazing coin!
  • Options
    When I saw the Jenks pedigree I just had to go look as Jenks' main focus was not U. S. coinage. But it is in there as part of a 1909 proof set, and the whole proof set sold for a whopping $1.60
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk about return on initial investment ...

    Matte Proof Lincoln Cents were issued by the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia, starting in 1909,
    in a minor set that included a proof Liberty Nickel at a cost of 8 cents plus postage
    (only 2 cents over face value! WOW.).

    image

  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunning coin.
    Stunning photo.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Talk about return on initial investment ...

    Matte Proof Lincoln Cents were issued by the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia, starting in 1909,
    in a minor set that included a proof Liberty Nickel at a cost of 8 cents plus postage
    (only 2 cents over face value! WOW.).

    image >>






    Hey that Liberty Nickel alone would draw my 8 cents. I got a 1912 PR66 CAM about 10 years ago for around $1200.
    Any proof v nickel for 8 cents would be good. image
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normally, I wouldn't be interested...

    But I saw the Gold Bean, and I'm in!


    (Hmmm...It won't take my $350 bid. Their loss!) image




    Added: But seriously...Looking at that coin, I have to say we do collect in a much safer environment than existed not too long ago. A bidder can throw down money on this coin as a 67+, and know that tomorrow nobody (with any authority), can claim "That's not a proof....and it's 65 at best....and the color just doesn't look natural." It took real guts to buy a "best of the best" in the 60's, when there were no such assurances.
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold bean should get it to $400K. image


    Why is this being sold? I thought it was part of some type of monster "dream" set that Legend was building?

    If this sold for $235K four years ago (one of 420 minted), why couldn't a "unique" 1917 MPL be worth $100K today?
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    67-plus is an injustice. That coin is perfect.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭


    << <i>The gold bean should get it to $400K. image


    Now why is this being sold? I thought it was part of some type of monster "dream" set that Legend was building? >>



    Is it possible the "collector" decided it wasn't really a coin but a hot potato? Dont wanna be the last one holding a

    HOTT POTATO !
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>The gold bean should get it to $400K. image


    I thought it was part of some type of monster "dream" set that Legend was building?

    If this sold for $235K four years ago (one of 420 minted), why couldn't a "unique" 1917 MPL be worth $100K today? >>


    This coin was added to the already established McCullagh set in 2010. This set is not connected to Legend with the exception being they were the seller.

    McCullagh Set
  • Options
    tnsprotnspro Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    Everything being the same, what if it had an S on it?

    Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Everything being the same, what if it had an S on it? >>



    …then it wouldn't be a proof image

    Erik
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>in a minor set that included a proof Liberty Nickel at a cost of 8 cents plus postage
    (only 2 cents over face value! WOW.). >>



    actually made me a bit nauseous thinking about that!

    well, if this is an accurate snapshot, i guess it will give us/me a good comparison of what 16 half cents would buy in 1909 instead of the set.

    edited to add: i forgot the add the darn link image
    .

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    8 bidders and we are up to $88k+ in just a few hours. Fun to watch. Steveimage
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw that coin recently - maybe FUN - absolutely beautiful!
    Gone but not forgotten: IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Ricko, Big Moose, Cardinal, CoinsAreFun.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    That is what you call a show stopper !!!! Nice coin !!
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>8 bidders and we are up to $88k+ in just a few hours. Fun to watch. Steveimage >>



    My high bid was $40,000 ... above that, I had to drop out.

    I love it, I want it, it would look fantastic in my set ... but I can't afford it.

    Well I can DREAM ... can't I ?
    Now for some fancy "sleight of hand" editing ... hmmm ... I like it!
    To make this dream happen, I'll have to go buy some Lotto tickets ...

    image

  • Options
    PCGS should sell empty holders. I could cut out the picture and pretend it's mine.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it may keep up with inflation. A lot of these high end coins should just be leased or rented as they seem to turn every 5 years or less.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

    RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭
    The coin was bought for $235,000 at the tail end of the peak of the MPL market. All other MPLs are getting slaughtered selling at a large discount of what they sold for a few years ago. Will this one follow the rest? Time will tell.

    -Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, bought at the tall end of the "hyped" MPL market created by a handful of people wanting to make money. Nothing wrong with -- just an observation. I'm glad I picked up most of mine prior to it.

    Slaughter is a relative term when used here. Not everything is about the money. There are "costs of ownership" associated with pleasure. If you know that going in and are willing to part with a few dollars, I am happy for you. Everyone on this board does the same thing to a degree with automobiles for example. I know I have done it, am currently doing it, and will do it in the future (as I'm looking at a car right now that will depreciate very quickly!). If you are really concerned about the money you can also do it in certain ways that cut down on that cost. Savvy business people do it with coins so they can buy even more expensive coins.

    Unfortunately, the market will not respect a $235k price, probably not even for a PR67RD. I know I wouldn't pay it and I have paid some pretty steep prices for great coins.

    In the end, if you've got the money and want it ... spend it and don't regret it. It's a fabulous and gorgeous coin.
    Doug
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Doug,
    You make some VERY powerful points about the market and this coin. Only time will tell if there are at least two people out there willing to fight (with money) to acquire this coin at auction.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that 09 s vdb is wonderful all the way around. thatll make someone very happy
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,374 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>that 09 s vdb is wonderful all the way around. thatll make someone very happy >>




    If it were a 1909 s vdb PF67 MPL it would be worth >$235K and would make many people very happy. image


    I guess I had the ownership on the this wrong. But I do recall the hype this coin had when it was displayed several years ago just before it sold for $235K.

    PCGS price guide for the coin is $200K. We'll see.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>If it were a 1909 s vdb PF67 MPL it would be worth >$235K and would make many people very happy. image >>



    man alive. my eyes jumped right to 09-s vdb PF67 MPL and >$235k and my heart skipped several beats. and then i saw the one infamous word that has caused many a skipped beat, "if."
    .

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Bidding just crossed the $100,000 threshhold ...

    image
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

    Now at $129,250
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope whoever buys this gets an out-of-the-slab PCGS TrueView photograph of it. Shootng this free of the plastic is the only way to really capture all the color and great detail -- though Todd did a great job photographing it through the plastc slab a few years back
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I was lucky enough to see this coin in hand a few years ago at a show. Nice coin. The extremely high price put a damper on it image
    image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,231 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>67-plus is an injustice. That coin is perfect. >>

    …. Agreed, but it wouldn't look right retro-fitting it with a First Strike PR 69 label.


    … or would it imageimage

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    $146,875 with juice
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    image Pay off mortgage, or...
    image
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just hit $200,000 ... $235,000 with juice ... wow

    image

  • Options
    Some people have WAY too much money.

    I love collecting but I just could not see myself paying that even if I was a Billionaire.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see that I shot low on the final hammer on this coin! I was concerned that there would not be enough collector base to hit higher than $200k. Congrats!!
    Doug
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Some people have WAY too much money.

    I love collecting but I just could not see myself paying that even if I was a Billionaire. >>



    Yes, you can. How much depreciation in autos have you experienced? My view is that the owner just paid about $20,000-$30,000 to drive this 09 vdb around for a few years. I know he enjoyed his ownership of it. image
    Doug
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>8 bidders and we are up to $88k+ in just a few hours. Fun to watch. Steveimage >>



    My high bid was $40,000 ... above that, I had to drop out.

    I love it, I want it, it would look fantastic in my set ... but I can't afford it.

    Well I can DREAM ... can't I ?
    Now for some fancy "sleight of hand" editing ... hmmm ... I like it!
    To make this dream happen, I'll have to go buy some Lotto tickets ...

    image >>

    Nice..... image


    Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Some people have WAY too much money.

    I love collecting but I just could not see myself paying that even if I was a Billionaire. >>



    Yes, you can. How much depreciation in autos have you experienced? My view is that the owner just paid about $20,000-$30,000 to drive this 09 vdb around for a few years. I know he enjoyed his ownership of it. image >>




    Ok ... now it looks like he has been driving a 1965 Mustang GT Fastback image
    Doug
  • Options
    oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

    Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

    Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

    Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

    Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

    Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    WELL, so much for the message "cannot post/edit a message twice". Post message and it hangs up and now I look like a damn fool.

    Is there a moderator that can delete all the extra posts?
    imageimageimage

    Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    Sold: $220,000 + 17.5% BP = $258,500
    imageimageimage

    Dad 1916-2014

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file