Home Sports Talk

Derek Jeter......A .481 lifetime All-Star game batting average

He has a lot of Terry Bradshaw in him.

Knows how to step it up in the big games.

Comments

• CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Since when is the ASG a big game? Just reminds me of a bunch of rich guys playing whiffle ball or softball

• << <i>Since when is the ASG a big game? Just reminds me of a bunch of rich guys playing whiffle ball or softball >>

Obviously you're joking.
    Some of the greatest pitching performances have happened in All-Star games, where pitchers have dominated for years.

• CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Yes, great pitching performances of a whole inning!!image
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dude is a stud, a classy stud as well. Raises his game on command. Flips a switch....flat amazing. Clutch. Money.

Can't believe I'm saying this about a Yankee!

We'll miss you, Jeter!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The dude is a stud, a classy stud as well. Raises his game on command. Flips a switch....flat amazing. Clutch. Money. >>

If that's true, why does he not flip the switch more often like, for example, the 1998 ALDS, the 1998 ALCS, the 2001 ALCS, the 2001 World Series, or the 2004 ALCS?
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The dude is a stud, a classy stud as well. Raises his game on command. Flips a switch....flat amazing. Clutch. Money. >>

If that's true, why does he not flip the switch more often like, for example, the 1998 ALDS, the 1998 ALCS, the 2001 ALCS, the 2001 World Series, or the 2004 ALCS? >>

+1.

Never quite understood the godlike status of DJ. Overrated IMO, though he broke 3000 hits, and if you are a Yankee that's enough to make the Hall.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What post war SS would you take over Jeter, all time?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>What post war SS would you take over Jeter, all time? >>

"all-time" and "post-war" are contradictory image

If I'm drafting a post-WW2 shortstop, I'm starting with ARod.

<< <i>

If I'm drafting a post-WW2 shortstop, I'm starting with ARod. >>

You mean the exiled in disgrace former 3B for the Yankees?

If his numbers were authentic I would agree even though he hasn't played short in a decade, but they're not so I won't. LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer Jeter, not 'The Cheater'. image

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    This is a fun game...using poor sample sizes, and then making unsubstantiated claims afterwards.

I'll play too.

Derek Jeter is the worst clutch player of all-time. After all, in the games biggest moments, Jeter has been awful.

In World Series Game 7's, Jeter's lifetime BA is .250, OB% .250, SLG% .250. There is no bigger game then game 7 of the World Series. This is THE biggest moment, the time to shine! LMAO!

Add in his results in the WS games where he is facing elimination his lifetime totals move to: BA .111, OB% .111, SLG% .111. Wow, he is so good when it counts the most, and when he is most needed to put on his cape.

This is fun.

Lets try the same for Mariano Rivera:

Since we only look at 'the biggest games', then we shall only look at the absolute biggest game possible in baseball, Game 7 of the World Series.

Here is Mariano Rivera's performances in the biggest possible moment in baseball:

ERA 5.38
    WHIP 2.39
    Saves ZERO

It is not wise to use such small sample sizes, believe in post season myths because of hero worship or lack of self-esteem, and not give TEAMMATES proper credit in the success of a team or individual... because it ends up giving inaccurate and invalid theories. Jeter and Rivera are great...but people get a little too carried away with some of the stuff they say about them.

PS. Please do not insult Jeter by saying he has Bradshaw in him. Unlike Bradshaw, Jeter did not need elite teammates to make him look better than he actually was. Jeter did not get benched in the prime of his career, and then watch as his scrub replacements performed better AND the team have a better record with the scrubs.

Of course, all that Bradshaw myths were completely debunked in several other threads, no need to rehash much more.

• The Yankees already have a Mr. October.

Jeter is Mr. Mid-July

Can't take it away from him that he performs way above average against the greatest pitchers of all time in the big July game.

Haters gonna hate.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd prefer Jeter, not 'The Cheater'. image

Dave >>

Well not so fast there........

Hit by pitch?

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd prefer Jeter, not 'The Cheater'. image

Dave >>

Well not so fast there........

Hit by pitch? >>

Most fans distinguish gamesmanship as opposed to injecting hormones and ingesting PEDs to enhance performance.

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most fans distinguish gamesmanship as opposed to injecting hormones and ingesting PEDs to enhance performance. >>

Certainly a huge difference between A-rod and Jeter. But still nice to win by being a better player than your opponent, not a better actor.

<< <i>

<< <i>

If I'm drafting a post-WW2 shortstop, I'm starting with ARod. >>

You mean the exiled in disgrace former 3B for the Yankees?

If his numbers were authentic I would agree even though he hasn't played short in a decade, but they're not so I won't. LOL.. >>

Well, if I'm putting together a team, ARod plays his entire career at SS rather than moving so that a prima donna can stay at his original position and hurt his team in the process.

As for PEDs, it's generally agreed that Arod didn't start taking them til he went to Texas. Rodriguez was a better SS in Seattle than Jeter has ever been.

So, yeah, I'll take Alex over Jeter.
    [ ARod plays his entire career at SS rather than moving so that a prima donna can stay at his original position/i]

Jeter is the primma donna in that sentence?? And you wrote that with a straight face? LOL!!

<< <i>[ ARod plays his entire career at SS rather than moving so that a prima donna can stay at his original position/i]

Jeter is the primma donna in that sentence?? And you wrote that with a straight face? LOL!!
    >>

Nothing in that sentence implies that they're not BOTH prima donnas. image But only one of them refused to move to a new position and hurt his own team in the process.

<< <i>The Yankees already have a Mr. October.

Jeter is Mr. Mid-July

Can't take it away from him that he performs way above average against the greatest pitchers of all time in the big July game.

Haters gonna hate. >>

So why then doesn't he bat .521 against the average pitchers he sees most of the regular season, and in all his post season games?? Heck, if he did that, the Yankees would win 115 games every year, and would have 15 World Series titles?

Is he dumb? Must be, because if he could will himself to do .481 against the best pitchers of all-time(I am trying not to laugh calling Jeter's era's pitchers the best of all-time), then surely he could muster up a .521 average against all the other guys in the league.

Is that the same Mr. October that owns a lifetime a lifetime ALCS line of BA .227, OB% .298, SLG% .380?? Is he psychic or something? Did he choose to play that poorly in the ALCS because he knew they would win and go to the World Series anyway, so he can save his heroics for then?? LMAO.

PS. I don't hate Jeter. He is a great ballplayer...I just don't get carried away with unsubstantiated claims and foolish claims. He is great, not God. Lets keep things in perspective here.

And for the love of God, don't tarnish Jeter by saying he has Terry Bradshaw in him. Good lord. Had Jeter gotten benched in his prime, and then watched scrubs perform better and lead his team better...then maybe. Until then, if you think that highly of Jeter, please refrain from the Bradshaw garbage. Next thing we know, you will call him Joe Namath...the player with one of the WORST all-time post season games ever, lol image
  • Jeter never had the pressure of playing the most important position in all of sports.

Terry did.

Jeter will never win a Super Bowl.

Terry did.

End of discussion.

<< <i>Jeter never had the pressure of playing the most important position in all of sports.

Terry did.

Jeter will never win a Super Bowl.

Terry did.

End of discussion. >>

Yup, so much pressure that his backups played better and the team won better without him, lol.

As pointed out extensively in the other threads, those Steelers only won when all the elite players arrived. Terry had plenty of opportunities to win without the elite players, but he failed. In the big games you talk about, it was Swann and Stallworth getting open and making great catches and plays, making Terry look better than he really was. Not to mention the offensive line doing an outstanding job blocking so all that could transpire. And of course, the elite running game making the defense focus on that aspect, also allowing more easy opportunities for the passing game to work.

You were made to look like a fool on this topic in a few other threads. Also in the Namath thread as well, where you spouted off other similar things about Namath 'being a winner', and knowing how to play in big games. Except you overlooked some key evidence.

You are right, that discussion is ended. It was ended in those other Bradshaw/Namath threads where your foolish theories were blown to pieces.

So back onto topic:

As for Jeter, so what is it? You started out saying this nonsense about him having some type of mythical ability to step up in the big games, and you used his All-Star game performance as your key piece of evidence. Now you are going another direction with it??

Does he step up in big games or not? Then why was he not able to step up in the biggest? Why do guys, given enough at bats, end up having their post season performances mirror their regular season?

Why do these post season guys you talk about only save those performances for those big games? Do they not realize that there are other big games(both regular season and post) that get them to the biggest games, and that if they win those games as well, that they could get to MORE of the biggest games? Are they dumb and don't realize this?

Or are they psychic and just know their teams will win without them raising their level of performance, thus they don't have to?

Or maybe you are just tired of getting beat like a rented mule!? LMAO
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta feel real sorry for you Yankee haters!

• << <i>

As pointed out extensively in the other threads, those Steelers only won when all the elite players arrived. Terry had plenty of opportunities to win without the elite players, but he failed. >>

They said the same thing about Mario Lemieux from 1985-1990 when he played for very poor Penguins teams. It wasn't until Mario got
    some help that he won some Cups.

I guess Ernie Banks wasn't great. Nor was Tony Gwynn. Those guys never won because other great players never arrived either.

So sad to see you succumb to such a low level of debate. You've lost your edge.

Long live Bradshaw (and his rings) !

<< <i>

<< <i>

As pointed out extensively in the other threads, those Steelers only won when all the elite players arrived. Terry had plenty of opportunities to win without the elite players, but he failed. >>

They said the same thing about Mario Lemieux from 1985-1990 when he played for very poor Penguins teams. It wasn't until Mario got
    some help that he won some Cups.

I guess Ernie Banks wasn't great. Nor was Tony Gwynn. Those guys never won because other great players never arrived either.

So sad to see you succumb to such a low level of debate. You've lost your edge.

Long live Bradshaw (and his rings) ! >>

Please clarify who "they" is...good lord. I know I never said any such thing. I really don't care what others say anyway. Unlike you, I don't need their insight or opinion to figure our what is logically accurate.

What you say about Banks and Gwynn is exactly what I am talking about...so why are you using that to defend your stance?? You make no sense. A title doesn't make one player greater than the other...just like Bradshaw's(really the Steelers) titles don't make him better than guys who won less.

Are you that dumb to just prove my point with your idiotic Banks and Gwynn statement?? It is obvious they were great players, and only a fool would say they were lesser than other players who played on teams that won championships. Oh wait, that is what you do with Terry Bradshaw. You say he is better than superior QB's because the Steelers won Four Super Bowls.

So based on YOUR theory, if you still claim Terry was so great because the Steelers won Four Super Bows, then YOU are saying that Gwynn, Banks, are not, because they didn't win any.

Ted Williams had horrible World Series performance. Based on YOUR theory, he wasn't a big game player, and couldn't get the job done when it counted.

Bradhshaw was good, but his teammates were the main reason why they won. They carried him, not the other way around. Bradshaw had a chance to prove it was him doing the carrying, but he failed. However, when the backup scrubs played in Terry's stead, the Steelers showed they didn't miss a beat without Bradshaw image

Do you enjoy getting beat like a rented mule? Or are you just that dumb?

• << <i>

Bradhshaw was good, but his teammates were the main reason why they won. They carried him, not the other way around. Bradshaw had a chance to prove it was him doing the carrying, but he failed. However, when the backup scrubs played in Terry's stead, the Steelers showed they didn't miss a beat without Bradshaw image
    ? >>

When did the back up play in the Super Bowl ?

Last time I checked Terry had four rings and two Super Bowl MVP's.

Your boy Krucek image has no Super Bowl MVP's.

Terry is a big game player. Jeter is a big time All Star game player.

Facts are facts.

If you want to ignore them, then please do.

Your boy Krucek was sat by the great Chuck Knoll during the Super Bowl games. But according to your dull logic, Kruchek would have
    been the MVP twice instead of Bradshaw, because the team was just as good without Terry. LMAO.

Joe Montana, Bart Starr, Tom Brady, Terry Bradshaw, and Eli Manning are the only players to ever have more than one Super Bowl MVP.
    Where's Krucek ?

imageimageimage
  • Skin2 is proving to the board what his sabermetrics have done to him.

Let's see here.....

Big time QB's from the NFL who stepped it up when it counted.......

1. Joe Montana
    2. Bart Starr
    3. Terry Bradshaw
    4. Tom Brady
    5. Eli Manning

Mike Krucek image

Thank you Skin2. You've proven your point.

LMAO
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Jeter is proof positive that the AS game is a total sham and joke and I wont even go into Wainright serving him on a platter.

Jeter had NO business even being there. His stats for 2014 are nowhere near AS worthy.

The AS game needs to be revamped. The fans votes either need to be scrapped altogether or only make them count for a small percentage. The selections should be based on stats.

The game should be called The Popularity Game.

Jeter is a class act. Ive never seen anything bad out of him off the field or on it but my God can everyone stop worshipping him. I will be glad when his season is over. Im sick of The Captain this and that.

• << <i>......Im sick of The Captain this and that. >>

All your money won't another minute buy.
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fans fume at $10,000 a seat Derek Jeter farewell

LINKY