Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP Augustus (as Octavian) fouree denarius

The proverbial ink has hardly dried on the online payment, but I felt the need to share this one (sellers pic and wording):

RR90910. Fouree silver plated denarius, SRCV I 1548, RSC I 70, RIC I 251, BMCRR 609, Sear Imperators 397, aVF, core exposure, illegal mint, weight 2.528g, maximum diameter 17.3mm, die axis 180o, after 32 B.C.; obverse diademed bust of Venus right, wearing necklace; reverse CAESAR DIVI F, Octavian advancing left, in military dress, cloak flying behind, right hand extended, transverse spear in left; scarce;

In July 32 B.C., Octavian illegally obtained Antony's will and exposed it to the Roman public: it promised substantial legacies to Antony's children by Cleopatra, and left instructions for shipping his body to Alexandria for burial. Rome was outraged, and the Senate declared war against Cleopatra (an important distinction, because Octavian did not want the Roman people to consider it a civil war). Octavian's forces decisively defeated the forces of Antony and Cleopatra at the Battle of Actium in Greece in September 31 B.C. He chased them to Egypt in 30 B.C., where Antony and Cleopatra committed suicide, and Octavian became master of the Roman world.

=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=

Comments