Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this genuine? 4th Century BCE Obol from Pamphylia/Side

Bought this recently on Vcoins. This is a relatively common type, struck for quite awhile in Side, Pamphylia in Asia Minor. I have several reference books now (mostly on loan from the ANA Library) and the type is generally identified as SNG France 739, SNG Von Aulock 4775.

What worries me is that I have seen the lion face either way, and Athena faces right. Yet on this coin Athena faces left. Not listed in Von Aulock and not listed as such in Atlan (Turkish/German book that lists most known dies for 5th and 4th century BCE coinage, it's pretty much the standard reference for the Greek period of the city). Style and weight wise it best matches Atlan group VI, struck circa 380-370 BCE. It weighs 0.72 grams and the coins listed in his reference in that group weigh between 0.69 and 0.76 grams.

I have looked all over the place to find one where Athena faces left as one but have struck out. Is this a counterfeit, an unlisted die combination or something else? I put some acetone on the coin and it looks a lot better now than in the picture.

Dennis

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    The style looks correct, the weight sounds right and the surfaces look appropriately porous for an ancient fraction.

I think it's probably just a previously unpublished variety.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.