Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1975 topps mini info

Ran by a 75 mini set today. One of the nicest raw sets I've seen. I'd say several 8s and 9s with several 10 potentials on a good day. The owner said he has had it since 75. However, most of the stars were slightly off center, some would be considered OC per psa where others are just not 50/50. Not doubting the owner, just making an observation. Brett diamond cut, Yount and Ryan OC.

The red yellow combos appeared short and the typical hard cards seem to be in typical condition (claudell, tanana, Gibson). The first group of leader cards would avg NM. The MVPs would avg Mint. A very nice set overall.

With that said, what would you consider a decent price for the set (without seeing scans)? I looked thru each card and seriously think there are some 10s in the mix. I would say overall nm-mt set in hand.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $500
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to say without scans--there is a huge value swing depending on which cards are mint to gem mint in this set.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    If the red/yellows were full sized and the "hard cards" looked 8+, I'd say $700-$800. Based on what you've described, $350.

Edited to add: It's extremely difficult to get 10's with this set - I wouldn't count on getting even a single one if I were buying the set to grade and sell. You're more likely to get 8's and 9's on the best cards.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    He is asking $400.

You are right about the 10s. I've opened 15-20 packs from our group rips and have never hit a 10 from pack fresh cards. All that to say, that is how good some of these cards look.

I will touch base with the owner next week for another look.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited to say he has a regular 75 in the EX-NM range.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say $350-$400 sounds right... you could probably pull 50-60 cards out and still flip the residual for $200(+?) with the weak Brett, yount, and ryan. Pretty cheap rip if you think there are enough 9's in there.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Thanks guys. I'm torn between flipping and keeping. I've never owned a complete mini set....and as of now, I still don't. image

I will update this thread if I end up pulling the trigger.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

$400 to keep is a good price in that it would be done and you would be hard pressed to build it for that price.

Edited to also add: The Mini set is as really cool set. I have a raw and graded one and love them both. The one you mentioned sounds like a nice set to keep and put in a binder.
    I ended up pulling the trigger. Picked it up today. After a 2nd review, there were more off-centered than I had originally thought, not bad, just not 50/50. All-in-all, I think it's a nice looking set. I'll post a few scans and see what you think. I'm starting from the end of the set and picking out potential grading candidates. Most of the stars are OC to some extent, or diamond cut, but there are a few diamonds in the rough.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

Have fun going through it!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
    Here's a few from starting from the end of the set. I doubt I'll get thru the entire set tonight pulling potential grading examples. What are the tough ones from this set: Tanana, Washington, Gibson, Killebrew?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

This is more than likely my last batch for the night.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    You made a great purchase. All it takes is one 9 on jay of the difficult commons and you're in good shape.

The Cesar Cedeno might be your ticket. Really tough card
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
    The colors are too overdone on those, David. Is it possible to turn down the saturation level?

The Hernandez RC is a tough 9. So is Cedeno and Morlan. You have a shot on those, IMO.

Hughes is nice money in an 8, also.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Love the splash!
    Green/Yellows look good - some nice cards thus far image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    any recommendation on the scan settings to find down the saturation?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

I tried some different scan settings. Excuse the white stickers as these card savers are used.

How does PSA treat the mini's that have the color strip at the top (i.e. Yellow on Schmidt) and the trapezoid type cuts?

I'm not sure why the Orioles card shows the streak. It must be the card saver or penny sleeve as it doesn't look like that in hand.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

Those look a lot better and more natural color-wise, David...I've seen PSA 8s with the yellow strip on top, so it's not a big issue as far as impacting the grade. The Schmidt is likely a PSA 7. None of the other green-yellows you posted just now are particularly tough and I don't see any that jump out at me as locks for Mint 9 (they are centered a bit low). The Busby is the sharpest card in the group, imo, and may grade Mint 9 if they don't hit you for the fisheye.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>any recommendation on the scan settings to find down the saturation? >>

What type of scanner? I was going through the same thing with my new scanner lately albeit not as bad. I dialed down the contrast setting and it mellowed everything out.
    Nice group of cards. Good luck on the grades!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Thanks Guys.

I'll post these last ones for comments.

The Yount/Brett, just because of who they are. haha.

I still don't have something right on the scanning. There are several glare spots on the scans that do not show on the card (i.e. Gates Brown neck and Burleson) and the red is not as clear as it should be.

The Gates is about 3-4 mm shorter than the others, but does not looked trimmed in any way. There are a couple of other red/yellow that are that way. I'm assuming PSA will knock them as min-size.

What are your thoughts on the Carroll and Burleson assuming the surface marks showing are NOT on the card?

The Rose is sharp all the way around, but the t/b centering kills it.

The Tiant is for Mike.

Have you ever noticed the spacing of Darrell Evans name on the bottom of the card? His name is not aligned like all of the other names on the bottom which makes it appear centered low.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

<< <i>

What type of scanner? I was going through the same thing with my new scanner lately albeit not as bad. I dialed down the contrast setting and it mellowed everything out. >>

Epson V30.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

I need to post in the sports look-alike thread that Clay Carroll looks like Chandler Bing.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

<< <i>

<< <i>

What type of scanner? I was going through the same thing with my new scanner lately albeit not as bad. I dialed down the contrast setting and it mellowed everything out. >>

Epson V30. >>

You should be able to go in and change your contrast

I think this is your problem
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    You killed it. 700 set easy or more had i seen it in person. 400, id have sprained something grabbing my wallet that fast.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

What type of scanner? I was going through the same thing with my new scanner lately albeit not as bad. I dialed down the contrast setting and it mellowed everything out.
    Epson V30. >>

Ok. Mine's an Epson as well v500 and they tend to need a little tweaking. Try reducing the contrast by 5 each time till you get what looks to be the most realistic colors.
    That last group looks sharp~Taveras is very tough and will bring a nice return in a PSA 8 holder. A 9 will pay for the set twice over.

Gates Brown is N6, no chance at being holdered, imo. Burleson and Carroll also look promising even with the yellow strip. I'm thinking PSA 8s, if there's no PD.

Brett and Yount look to be in the 6-7 range, with Yount closer to 7 of the two.

RBI Leaders and MVP cards look sharp, also. The low printing of the name on the Evans card is a printing defect that affects a number of blue/green cards.

All it takes is the right PSA 9 to come out way ahead. If I had to predict, I think Taveras has the best shot.

I think you did well with this set. Centering is not ideal on most, but the better ones are the ones with biggest potential return, esp the red-yellows in that last group.

I've posted a few more with different colors to check the scanning. I think this is close.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

Colour looks much better! image
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Thanks for the scanning help and input on the cards.

I'll keep my fingers crossed on the Taveras, Burleson, and Carroll.

Taveras does show some print debris at the bottom (in the yellow area) and does not appear short (nowhere like the Gates and Kusick).

Burleson looks good in hand. Micro print in some of the yellow. No other surface flaws. The yellow at the top had me concerned.

Carroll looks better than the Burleson regarding the micro print dots. I'm not sure if this is a toughie or not.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

<< <i>Colour looks much better! image >>

Tom, you're even speliing in French now, LOL!

<< <i>Thanks for the scanning help and input on the cards.

I'll keep my fingers crossed on the Taveras, Burleson, and Carroll.

Taveras does show some print debris at the bottom (in the yellow area) and does not appear short (nowhere like the Gates and Kusick).

Burleson looks good in hand. Micro print in some of the yellow. No other surface flaws. The yellow at the top had me concerned.

Carroll looks better than the Burleson regarding the micro print dots. I'm not sure if this is a toughie or not. >>

Caroll is tough, too, but not as tough as Burleson. A $100+ card in Mint 9. Burleson several times that, at least.

All 3 look sharp, but from scan at least Taveras looks like the best of the group.

<< <i>

<< <i>Colour looks much better! image >>

Tom, you're even speliing in French now, LOL! >>

LOL! I was wondering if someone would catch that image
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

I pulled 140+ from this set and will send in a few. Maybe pick 25 and send in under the July special.

As far as star power goes, here's high level summary for the ones not scanned:
      Rose - sharp corners, centered low
        Aaron Highlights - diamond cut, centered left
          Ryan Highlights - diamond cut, centered left
            Munson - diamond cut, centered left
              Fisk - diamond cut, centered left
                Carew - looks like an 8
                  Seaver - slight diamond cut, looks like a 7 (I'm not sure how diamond cuts are graded)
                    Brock - sharp corners, 80/20 tb, 30/70 lr
                      Ryan - 3 corners show touch of white, 45/55 tb, 10/90 lr
                        Yaz - top right slight corner touch, 80/20 tb, 70/30 lr (normally this card is diamond cut from the ones I've seen)
                          Reggie - looks like Rose, sharp corners, centered low
                            Bench - identical to Reggie and Rose, but centered lower (90/10 tb)
                              Carlton - sharp corners, 75/25 tb, 45/55 lr
                                Stargell - sharp corners, one shows touch of white (chip?), 60/40 tb, 20/80 lr

Love the colors on these cards. Very bright, with some almost showing a gloss to them.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

Good luck with the grades, David! If you grade any I stil need, I will be interested in purchasing them, if you're selling!

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
                                Beautiful cards. Congrats on a really nice pickup!!
                                Daniel
                              • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Beautiful cards. Congrats on a really nice pickup!! >>

Agreed it just shows you shouldn't get discouraged on a potential purchase when you start to find some OC cards in a lot or a set.
                                Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
                              • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
                                Looks pretty good, you should have no problem finding better samples of the OC and MC cards that need replacing. If you're gonna break it up, I could use 30-40 to finish my EX+-NM set.
                                CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
                                To be honest, no direction, but...
                                1966-69 Topps EX+
                                1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
                                All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
                              • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
                                The Burleson looks like it has a print flaw on his neck.

<< <i>The Burleson looks like it has a print flaw on his neck. >>

I need to rescan my first round. I did not have the saturation set correctly and it made the images appear incorrectly (this included the Burleson and Brown). Like you mentioned, around the neck area.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

Sending in a batch under Aug Special to test the waters from this set. Hoping for 8/9s rather than a slew of 7/8s. image

Expecting 3 - N6s on the red/yellow, but giving them a shot.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

Good luck, David!
                                Grades back. Here is a snippet of some the red/yellow. Thinking about sending back the 3 that graded to see if they get in front of another grader with similar results. Was hoping for a 9 on at least one of them. The other three were definitely short.

NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 277 Frank Taveras
                                NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 345 Clay Carroll
                                NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 302 Rick Burleson
                                N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 Topps Mini 371 Gates Brown
                                N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 Topps Mini 297 Craig Kusick
                                N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 Topps Mini 339 Jim Fregosi

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

Hard to get a 9 with the stripe on top (like burleson).

Damn shorties image
                                Mike
                                Bosox1976

<< <i>Hard to get a 9 with the stripe on top (like burleson). >>

Oh, I did not consider that. Good point.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

I thought the Taveras would grade an 8. Tough sub.

Just received a small sub and popped a 10 from this set.

GEM MINT 10 1975 Topps Mini 398 Elias Sosa

First 10 I've ever pulled from 75 mini or regular.

Also, looking at these initial scans from a PC on a larger screen, I can definitely see how the scanning is too saturated.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

Congrats! Always nice to see a self-subbed 10 from a collector!