Home Precious Metals

Question about spreads. Has anyone sold any AGEs lately?

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm looking at the buy prices for various fractional AGEs, and I was wondering if anyone has sold any fractional AGEs lately. What kind of premium did you get on resale, and what denominations did you sell? The buy prices are in the 9% to 14% premium range, and I would like to get a feel for the current buy-sell spreads. Any good data out there?
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    9-14% shows an increase over recent years. Why I don't mind paying higher premiums for Amercian Eagles and why I advise clients not to mind paying the extra. Increasing/decreasing premiums are an indication of how sellers view demand.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checking APMEX provides an idea of current wholesale/retail prices and premiums paid to melt. Current Buy on generic date BU fractionals show:

1/2oz - $683 ~ 2%
    1/4oz - $356 ~ 6%
    1/10oz - $145 ~ 7.5%
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, VH. Those Apmex buy-sell spreads are the best I've seen. It doesn't matter what the actual price is, I like to ask a dealer what his buy-sell spread is.

When I'm shopping for generic bullion, I don't say whether I'm buying or selling until he gives me his numbers. At least then I have a legit comparison and know that the pricing is probably competitive.

Apmex does have hefty shipping costs, but they execute their end of the bargain very well. Tight spreads tell me that the competition is out there. Good for buyers and sellers both.

Having the tightest spreads doesn't always mean that they have the lowest selling price, but it's a good starting point for further comparison shopping.

We are fortunate in this market to have several good options for bullion purchases, including MCM, Silvertowne, Gainesville, Provident, Apmex, Scotsman, and I've bought some bullion-related coins from Liberty Coin as well. Great Collections sometimes has good prices on bullion-related Buy Now items.

I've been buying more high-premium bullion items lately, so prudence dictates that I start taking a look at a low-premium generic bullion purchase to balance things out. There's always some dollars crying out to be rescued.

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>Checking APMEX provides an idea of current wholesale/retail prices and premiums paid to melt. Current Buy on generic date BU fractionals show:

1/2oz - $683 ~ 2%
    1/4oz - $356 ~ 6%
    1/10oz - $145 ~ 7.5% >>

With gold at $1339 current APMEX random year AGE prices are:
    1400.99 for one ounce
    724.14 for half ounce
    375.48 for quarter ounce
    153.88 for tenth ounce
    re-check your premiums

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC my local dealer said he'd pay about $30-$35 over for one ounce leafs and sell at $50-$55 over. About the same for AGEs I think. With APMEX shipping is free over $25K as I recall.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC my local dealer said he'd pay about $30-$35 over for one ounce leafs and sell at $50-$55 over. About the same for AGEs I think. With APMEX shipping is free over $25K as I recall.

A 1.8% spread on 1 ozers is good. Local dealers don't usually have what I'm looking for when I'm looking for it, but I might have to drive up to Ames anyway, just to make a circuit around my old stomping grounds.image

I knew it would happen.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out nucleo exchange for 1/10 AGE's I like to go by the 2 biggest lots and average them and see if they match the tightest pair which in this case they do within a buck or so

To me it represents a price point of $15 over on the tenths

Bid Ask

Quantity @ Price each
    4 $149.06 1 $150.00
    3 $144.00 1 $153.25
    500 $143.80 27 $153.27
    2 $137.00 500 $154.90
    2 $133.50 2 $160.00
    3 $100.00 1 $180.00

On nucleo its sort of apparent that the AGE market is all about tenths and 1 oz AGE's , the 1/4 and halfs are thinly traded which jibes pretty well with the real world .

I generally like the tenths , I rarely buy the whole ouncers at currrent spot level but I see the 2 middle sizes at pointless at pretty much any level.

My bad, the whole time I'm thinking premiums but I now see the thread is about buy/sell spreads. I was thinking SELL prices to melt.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My bad, the whole time I'm thinking premiums but I now see the thread is about buy/sell spreads. >>

Yeah, I posted the Buy prices with premiums to melt.