Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Grading question

I have a slanted psa card that is graded "trimmed" if I send it back in and request " authentic" grade would they do it? Is a authentic grade "better sounding" then trimmed ?

Comments

• SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    A trimmed card will not be labeled authentic, because it is not considered "authentic" in the sense of being unaltered. I have seen some cards labeled as "Trimmed" on the label, but I think it is typically only for high profile cards.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I think that is correct. PSA will grade trimmed cards as authentic under very limited circumstances. Maybe a 1952 Topps Mantle, etc. It is worth a try though. What card is it you are wondering about?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at [email protected] !
  • cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    If I'm the buyer -- trimmed sounds a whole lot clearer than authentic.

I wish PSA would clarify this whole topic, particularly old checklists -- if it's checked, you can get a 6(MK) or 5(MK) -- if it's been checked and erased, the card is returned as 'Altered'. Crazy.
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    The card is a 1968 topps plak checklist national league. It is my understanding that they where all cut from a sheet years ago. I have also read that they where put in some packs. Psa gave one checklist a psa 7 and most of the others authentic. The psa 7 went for 23000 or something like that. Can anyone shine some light on this issue? Size. Distribution. Population report Thanks. Scott
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I often include a note with my subs for pre-war stuff that says something to the affect of "Please label each item with a numerical grade. If for some reason a numerical grade cannot be assigned, please instead label that item as Authentic 'A' as a 2nd option so that I can still add it to my set registry." Whenever I add that note, any item that is deemed recolored, trimmed, etc. is placed in a holder with an Authentic grade and then they usually also say trimmed or whatever else on the label as well. This is certainly not limited to high-profile cards. You can have this type of labeling on your flip for a card worth $5 if you want to. All you have to do is ask (before they ship them back to you with the not-graded stickers on your CS1's, of course).

Makes sense. But "All you have to do is ask?" The submission form is already more complicated than most IRS forms. Yet, I need to add a special hand-written note as well? I simply put my credit card away and move on to other things in my life....

<< <i>Makes sense. But "All you have to do is ask?" The submission form is already more complicated than most IRS forms. Yet, I need to add a special hand-written note as well? I simply put my credit card away and move on to other things in my life.... >>

I don't use SGC very often, but I have noticed that their forms do have a box to check if you want them to slab & label as Authentic if the card does not otherwise earn a numerical grade. Seems like an incredibly simple addition to the PSA submission form, if they could include a similar optional checkbox the next time they revise their form. For now, I have the request as described above typed and saved in a word document that I print on Avery address label stickers and stick to post-it notes onto the submission form if I want to include it but don't feel like writing it out. Just takes a couple seconds once you have the setup in place. I still would prefer a revised form w/ an optional checkbox though.

<< <i>A trimmed card will not be labeled authentic, because it is not considered "authentic" in the sense of being unaltered. I have seen some cards labeled as "Trimmed" on the label, but I think it is typically only for high profile cards. >>

This is partly correct; the deal is they will label an authentic card as 'Authentic', but if it is authentic and also altered in some way, they will add that info (trimmed/reclored/altered) on the label in addition to it saying 'Authentic'.

Thanks, miwlvrn. - Kevin
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Plaks checklist is graded "Authentic" "Trimmed"
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Joe-who is yours graded by?
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set