Home Sports Talk

Do numerous appearances in post season shorten a career?

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
With the expansion of the playoff structure through the years, does this hurt a players longevity? Especially for players who appear almost on an annual basis? Does the wear/tear on their body in the post season diminsh the regular season durability, and thus affecting their regular season stats? I suppose it's worth it if they get the ring, but what if they don't and the wear/tear of the post season is all for naught.
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    What sport are you referring too? Regardless, I think any extra games reduce a players career.

I believe it's common sense, the more you use something, the more wear and tear will accumulate and the chances of it failing are greatly increased. This goes for anything really.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Particularly in the NBA where the second season goes on forever.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What sport are you referring too? Regardless, I think any extra games reduce a players career.

I believe it's common sense, the more you use something, the more wear and tear will accumulate and the chances of it failing are greatly increased. This goes for anything really. >>

Was really any of the 4 major sports I was referring to. Offhand, now that I think of it, it sure did not lessen Derek Jeters effectiveness for the regular season despite all his post-season play.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What sport are you referring too? Regardless, I think any extra games reduce a players career.

I believe it's common sense, the more you use something, the more wear and tear will accumulate and the chances of it failing are greatly increased. This goes for anything really. >>

Was really any of the 4 major sports I was referring to. Offhand, now that I think of it, it sure did not lessen Derek Jeters effectiveness for the regular season despite all his post-season play. >>

I would think it would apply moreso to the NFL. Those guys take a pounding unlike any other American sport.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to believe that an NHL postseason is grueling and could have an effect.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since Mickey Mantle severely injured his knee in the World Series and most likely that injury contributed to further leg problems, I am sure in his case it shortened his career.

He also hurt his shoulder in the 57(?) series and that affected not only his throwing but his left handed batting.

As stated earlier the post season is getting longer for all the sports, so of course it certainly could shorten a career, even if there are no significant injuries.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    Your body can only take so much pounding. Some sports worse than others. Football most hits, basketball best athletes but, play hard for long minutes during week, baseball long season