Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ebay thread - auto-resizing images?

LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
i thought i was just missing something but it seems that my images are being auto-resized down to 500 on the longest side.

anyone else experiencing this?

i'm doing direct upload via ebay, not a third party uploader.

it seems i may have been unfairly harsh on some sellers as it appeared that they were specifically maxing their images to 500 on the longest side, which seemed very weird but hey its ebay. now that it is happening to me, i wonder if they are doing this to save server space/bandwidth?

anyone is more than welcome to direct me to the ebay thread to discuss such things instead of here. i just get tired of looking.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Comments

• Options
    maybe it isn't resizing the images but it is the changes in their displayed pages. i think it happens because of different versions of pages that we get from time to time. i personally have no idea why they do it since they don't seem to stick with 1 format but instead let it bounce around seemingly randomly. hmm

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mouse over seems to change sizing.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not link images from a photo-sharing site instead of uploading them to ebay? Then you control them and could even add small messages by editing the photos when ebay won't allow any changes to the auctions.
    Lance.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I just listed a couple coins and nothing was different.
  • Options

<< <i>Why not link images from a photo-sharing site instead of uploading them to ebay? Then you control them and could even add small messages by editing the photos when ebay won't allow any changes to the auctions.
    Lance. >>

i used to host my own but i like uploading large images and they are too big imo for the description area and i don't want to mess with an image viewer with a magnifier like the ebay hosting has.

also, i could put an url to a hosted image but after months/years go by i get tired or keeping the images organized/deleted from my hosting.

after thousands of hour of experience, i prefer to just upload images for them to host. although, your point is made that i am then subject to their software variances. if it were to get annoying enough, i will go back to hosting my own.

some days it seem that the magnifier works 95% of the time and other time you have to click the images to enlarge.

just a minor inquiry on my part.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Funny you should mention this since eBay does resize the image if its too large.

Another thing that occurs is when you mouse over the image, you get an enlargement but if you click on the image, it change so that the entire photo displays which in some cases is actually smaller than mousing over the image.

Mouseover:

Click:

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Funny you should mention this since eBay does resize the image if its too large.

Another thing that occurs is when you mouse over the image, you get an enlargement but if you click on the image, it change so that the entire photo displays which in some cases is actually smaller than mousing over the image.

Mouseover:
    >>

ya, the mouseover thing has worked well imo. one of the few changes i like over the years.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something that drives me nuts is when ebayers don't use the mouse over magnification...it does not cost extra...does it?
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

<< <i>Something that drives me nuts is when ebayers don't use the mouse over magnification...it does not cost extra...does it? >>

it is default as i see it.

what stops it is large enough images (dimensions not kb/mb) being uploaded that don't "trigger" this option/effect.

also, slow connection, low ram etc can delay/prohibit it from working.

may be browser version variance as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file