Home Sports Talk
Options

Lebron getting jacked by the salary cap.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Not really a fan of James or the NBA for that matter, but it seems that LJ is getting clipped by the league mandated salary cap. In the open market if this collusion was not instituted, he would bring maybe $50-75M. Not the max number of what $30M.

I am not sympathetic to any major league players, but in a world when the Clippers can be sold for insane money, why should a player not receive what a free market would pay?

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a max salary of only $30 million, it is surprising that LJ can afford to feed, clothe and shelter his family.

Good thing for him he gets endorsement income to supplement his meager NBA earnings.image
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    It's actually worse than that, the max is closer to "only" $25M.
  • Options

<< <i>With a max salary of only $30 million, it is surprising that LJ can afford to feed, clothe and shelter his family.

Good thing for him he gets endorsement income to supplement his meager NBA earnings.image >>

So why is their not a cap on how much one can sell a franchise for? Certainly the Sterling fan is in no dire need of $2,000,000,000.

I ask not so much for rationale, but for consistency.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't follow the NBA, but do believe the cap was/is a negotiated item between the players' union and the league. If that's the case, all of the players gave their approval through their membership in the union.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A cap allows all teams to have a chance to sign all free agents. Without a cap, it would be like baseball, where only a handful of big market teams have an opportunity to sign the best players. Caps allow a more even playing field among all teams.

Why would there be a cap on how much someone can sell a franchise for? Its the same as someone owning and selling their own personal business. They are the owner of the franchise, they can sell it for as much as they want. That is completely different from how a player gets paid. Players are essentially employees of the teams and the NBA. They get paid based on the rules put in place by the league and player unions.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A cap allows all teams to have a chance to sign all free agents. Without a cap, it would be like baseball, where only a handful of big market teams have an opportunity to sign the best players. Caps allow a more even playing field among all teams.

Why would there be a cap on how much someone can sell a franchise for? Its the same as someone owning and selling their own personal business. They are the owner of the franchise, they can sell it for as much as they want. That is completely different from how a player gets paid. Players are essentially employees of the teams and the NBA. They get paid based on the rules put in place by the league and player unions. >>

REALLY???????????????

A player is just as much a business as a team is, only a player has a limited amount of time to earn his money by playing his sport. Franchises go on for DECADES.

Simply look at the Clippers, one of the worst run teams (at least as far as winning goes) and yet it's value just kept on climbing.

In a free market I sure hate to see anyone agree to a salary cap. I couldn't care less about the NBA or Lebron, I am not a basketball fan.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A cap allows all teams to have a chance to sign all free agents. Without a cap, it would be like baseball, where only a handful of big market teams have an opportunity to sign the best players. Caps allow a more even playing field among all teams.

Why would there be a cap on how much someone can sell a franchise for? Its the same as someone owning and selling their own personal business. They are the owner of the franchise, they can sell it for as much as they want. That is completely different from how a player gets paid. Players are essentially employees of the teams and the NBA. They get paid based on the rules put in place by the league and player unions. >>

REALLY???????????????

A player is just as much a business as a team is, only a player has a limited amount of time to earn his money by playing his sport. Franchises go on for DECADES.

Simply look at the Clippers, one of the worst run teams (at least as far as winning goes) and yet it's value just kept on climbing.

In a free market I sure hate to see anyone agree to a salary cap. I couldn't care less about the NBA or Lebron, I am not a basketball fan. >>

But a player is the same as an employee in any other business in the sense that they get paid by someone, and they only get paid what that person is willing to pay them or what the rules/regulations allows them to pay them. Unless you are the top owner of the business, you dont decide how much you get paid. Unless you consider turning down an offer, a way to determine your own pay. Essentially if players want to get paid more than the league maximum allowed, then they shouldnt have agreed to the terms agreed upon by the players union. I agree with you, that players shouldnt agree to a salary cap in a free market, but they did.

What I Collect:

• Options

<< <i>But a player is the same as an employee in any other business in the sense that they get paid by someone, and they only get paid what that person is willing to pay them or what the rules/regulations allows them to pay them. >>

This type of collusion among owners is only tolerated in major league sports. Similar anti trust action was recently discovered among hi tech firms and was shot down by the justice department as illegal.

I suspect that the bidding would become stratospheric for LeBron James in a truly open market.
  • Options

<< <i>I suspect that the bidding would become stratospheric for LeBron James in a truly open market. >>

of course it would
    What I Collect:

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC the salary cap idea/structure was sold to the players from the standpoint of it benefitting for the survival of the league as a whole. The cap would prevent a few teams from hoarding all the top players. This allowed for each market to boast a star or two which would translate into a/be more attractive to the in person ticket buyer and TV audience. Especially to the TV audience,TV cash being the main source of NBA income. Also it was the hope to also avoid numerous lopsided games,hoping to present a contest with a more level playing field. As far as salaries go, we must remember that out of these large paydays there is the income taxes, Fed/State, and the agents fee. Combined, they may equal as high as 40%. Depending on how many tax shelters or in which state that the income is taxed in, must also be considered to arrive at a final net pay. Regardless of the actual deductions, their net pay is enough for most of us laypeople to get by on and keep us in unopened vintage wax boxes for years to come. image
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i> Combined, they may equal as high as 40%. Depending on how many tax shelters or in which state that the income is taxed in, >>

50% in Cali with the 13% millionaire tax.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>A cap allows all teams to have a chance to sign all free agents. Without a cap, it would be like baseball, where only a handful of big market teams have an opportunity to sign the best players. Caps allow a more even playing field among all teams. <<<

Just one more thing that was started that should be done away with!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

REALLY???????????????

In a free market I sure hate to see anyone agree to a salary cap. I couldn't care less about the NBA or Lebron, I am not a basketball fan. >>

But a player is the same as an employee in any other business in the sense that they get paid by someone, and they only get paid what that person is willing to pay them or what the rules/regulations allows them to pay them. Unless you are the top owner of the business, you dont decide how much you get paid. Unless you consider turning down an offer, a way to determine your own pay. Essentially if players want to get paid more than the league maximum allowed, then they shouldnt have agreed to the terms agreed upon by the players union. I agree with you, that players shouldnt agree to a salary cap in a free market, but they did. >>

In my opinion the owners of ALL the major sport franchises are, and always were too stupid for their own good. Remember the "Bonus Baby" rule in the mid 1950's baseball? These guys are simply rich collectors of players and don't know when to stop themselves. I don't care what the players, union and owners decide, but I think it sucks that since I have decided to stop paying for cable/satellite TV, I no longer get to watch any of my local teams. Hope football will still be broadcast on regular old time broadcast television.

Sorry, I am a bitter old man who can't stand the garbage that is modern day broadcasts, except for a few shows. I was paying $100.00 a month to watch reality shows and commercials, just can't do it anymore. Went to Netflix and a old style antennae.

If anyone knows how to get MLB without paying for it, PLEASE let me know! Maybe then I won't be so bitter. LOL

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>But a player is the same as an employee in any other business in the sense that they get paid by someone, and they only get paid what that person is willing to pay them or what the rules/regulations allows them to pay them. >>

This type of collusion among owners is only tolerated in major league sports. Similar anti trust action was recently discovered among hi tech firms and was shot down by the justice department as illegal. >>

It's tolerated in many areas beyond sports. Any industry with a union, for example, almost always has a "top possible salary" for its employees.

While the salary cap most definitely hurts the income of Lebron, it helps tons of other guys. Because of the salary floor that's in place, and the limited amount of guys available, you end up with tons of marginal players making $8m a year. For the union, that's a good thing. For Lebron individually, not so much.