Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Cheerios Dollar For Sale. Still in Package. (Now w/ Pics)

Hi. I am not a novice but no Louis Eliasberg either. I rarely sell coins but I can't keep everything either. I posted this on the NGC forum as well and got some great feedback from people and I've meant to join some coin forums before so this gave me a good reason.
I made a goal to find a Cheerio Sacagawea but knew the odds of finding one still in package (That was not for sale by a dealer) was sort of a remote possibility but kept my eye out.
Then one day some punk had a shoe box of coins from his uncle he was peddling for an absurd price. Then there was a bunch of cheerios penny but tucked in back one was this one----with that shiny Sacagawea dollar sitting there. It was a great find.

The coin is in the original packaging. The packaging is not in 'out of the box' shape but no tears or holes or anything. The Dollar (and the penny if you care) are in standard great shape. No spotting.

It is subtle but the Sacagawea DOES show the diagnostic die polish line on the shoulder.

I am located in the Indy/Ohio area by the way. Not sure if there are a lot of collectors in Indiana, Ohio, Illinois or Southern Michigan because it is a great coin but I can't see anybody coming from Georgia to see this coin.

Thanks.

Hope to have a good time on this forum.
Glad to finally join.

EDIT:
I guess I never thought about it but I should not disqualify people who do not live within relatively close proximity to me. I have no idea how it is usually done but I should say I do not have any Ebay or anything.
I did hear a good idea that I could bring it to a top tier coin dealer NEAR me who would act as the eyes of the buyer. So I guess somebody in Alaska could say "Take it to this coin shop near you or to my pal near you" and the buyer could have it prearranged with the dealer or whatever to inspect the coin on behalf of the buyer and give the 'all clear' and do deal that way, their 'agent' takes coin and send to them. I do live pretty close to Lost Duthcman who is one of the best coin dealers in the country. I never thought about it but not a bad idea.

Link to photobucket pictures is below

http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/gmmoc2007/library/?sort=3&page=1
I have plans....sometimes

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is some more friendly advice...

1) Post a picture of the coin and package front and back.

2) Post your desired asking price.

3) You have your profile turned off. While I can appreciate your desire for privacy, you are trying to sell something and this is your first post. Your post does not even say your name (e.g. John, Jane, etc.).

• Options
    planonitplanonit Posts: 525 ✭✭
    Rampage,

Thanks for the input. I attached some pictures. I did not know about my profile being secret; I change it to public.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks for putting that in an easy linkg
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi. I am not a novice but no Louis Eliasberg either. I rarely sell coins but I can't keep everything either. I posted this on the NGC forum as well and got some great feedback from people and I've meant to join some coin forums before so this gave me a good reason.
    I made a goal to find a Cheerio Sacagawea but knew the odds of finding one still in package (That was not for sale by a dealer) was sort of a remote possibility but kept my eye out.
    Then one day some punk had a shoe box of coins from his uncle he was peddling for an absurd price. Then there was a bunch of cheerios penny but tucked in back one was this one----with that shiny Sacagawea dollar sitting there. It was a great find.

The coin is in the original packaging. The packaging is not in 'out of the box' shape but no tears or holes or anything. The Dollar (and the penny if you care) are in standard great shape. No spotting.

It is subtle but the Sacagawea DOES show the diagnostic die polish line on the shoulder.

I am located in the Indy/Ohio area by the way. Not sure if there are a lot of collectors in Indiana, Ohio, Illinois or Southern Michigan because it is a great coin but I can't see anybody coming from Georgia to see this coin.

Thanks.

Hope to have a good time on this forum.
    Glad to finally join.

EDIT:
    I guess I never thought about it but I should not disqualify people who do not live within relatively close proximity to me. I have no idea how it is usually done but I should say I do not have any Ebay or anything.
    I did hear a good idea that I could bring it to a top tier coin dealer NEAR me who would act as the eyes of the buyer. So I guess somebody in Alaska could say "Take it to this coin shop near you or to my pal near you" and the buyer could have it prearranged with the dealer or whatever to inspect the coin on behalf of the buyer and give the 'all clear' and do deal that way, their 'agent' takes coin and send to them. I do live pretty close to Lost Duthcman who is one of the best coin dealers in the country. I never thought about it but not a bad idea.

Link to photobucket pictures is below

http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/gmmoc2007/library/?sort=3&page=1 >>

Here, I'll help you out but truthfully, the images need to be much clearer.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Thanks.

I do not have good skill for pictures but trying to get a picture of the die-polish is way above my pay grade. I'm sure some people can do it but if you've ever had one of these coins you know how hard it is to see the die polish.

There is a reason it took years after the discovery to find this die polish. When you have the coin in hand and try and look for it you can see it in the right light but it is not something you'd EVER see unless you were specifically looking for it.
  • Options
    LowBudgetLowBudget Posts: 383 ✭✭
    welcome.....pic of reverse and tail feathers will shed a lot of light. edited to add: yes I know package has to be opened but only way anyone will probably buy at this point
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks.

I do not have good skill for pictures but trying to get a picture of the die-polish is way above my pay grade. I'm sure some people can do it but if you've ever had one of these coins you know how hard it is to see the die polish.

There is a reason it took years after the discovery to find this die polish. When you have the coin in hand and try and look for it you can see it in the right light but it is not something you'd EVER see unless you were specifically looking for it. >>

It didn't really take that long once the pattern was discovered (which did not occur until 2005) and quite frankly, purchasing one of these "packaged" dollars that does not have the die markers on the obverse is just a waste of money since it has been proven that not every Cheerios Sacagawea Dollar has the Reverse of 1999.

Someone with 10 grand to spend had better "learn" to look for those die markers as not doing so would simply be foolish while someone selling one of these without photographing the die markers should not spend the proceeds too quickly.

If you cannot photograph it then find someone that can.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    better yet, get it certified by PCGS before offering for sale... will likely maximize expected value for both buyer and seller

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks.

There is a reason it took years after the discovery to find this die polish. When you have the coin in hand and try and look for it you can see it in the right light but it is not something you'd EVER see unless you were specifically looking for it. >>

It didn't really take that long once the pattern was discovered (which did not occur until 2005) and quite frankly, purchasing one of these "packaged" dollars that does not have the die markers on the obverse is just a waste of money since it has been proven that not every Cheerios Sacagawea Dollar has the Reverse of 1999.

Someone with 10 grand to spend had better "learn" to look for those die markers as not doing so would simply be foolish while someone selling one of these without photographing the die markers should not spend the proceeds too quickly.

If you cannot photograph it then find someone that can. >>

Trying to find better camera.

I could be wrong but I didn't think the die polish was discovered like 2008-09 I thought? Or at least that was when I HEARD about the die polish marker.
    There was time when it was thought that ALL the ones in the package had the rare reverse. It was rumored for sometime that some were opened and not the detailed reverse but the problem was since people who had a package would rip it out of the package and then say "Hay my reverse is not detailed and just a normal Sacagawea" how could they PROVE the coin was from the original package.

Since PCGS gives nada for Cheerios w/o Patter Reverse I am not even sure you can submit to PCGS with the coin still in package. I thought I heard only NGC wants you to submit the coin still in package.

• Options

<< <i>better yet, get it certified by PCGS before offering for sale... will likely maximize expected value for both buyer and seller >>

99.999% time that always helps. Only reason I have not is that ones still in the package are outselling even MS68 Graded ones by a large margin.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    FYI, one post/bump per day, please. It's not posted but everyone here follows it. And welcome.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    Yeah that makes sense. I did not connect every time I reply to somebody it 'bumps' this up.
    My bad
  • Options
    One last bump
  • Options
    Bump again.....I broke my promise
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭