Home Sports Talk
Options

A's make a blockbuster deal with the Cubs

Comments

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The trade makes sense when you analyze the A's starting rotation: Scott Kazmir, arguably the team's best starter, hasn't pitched as many as 200 innings since 2007. Sonny Gray, in his first full season, is not battle tested over the long haul. Jesse Chavez is a converted long reliever, has already reached his career high in innings pitched. The additions of Hammel and Samardzija give the A's so much more depth, and will reduce the possibility of tired arms in October. The A's gave up their best prospect in Russell, but they also may never be this close to a World Series contender in the near future.
  • Options
    Geez, the biggest trade of the year, and no one has an opinion? Okay, go back to your MTG cards. image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rice is overrated.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Beats the hell outta potatoes.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Cub fans & the Chicago media have been resigned to Shark and Hammel getting dealt for two months and if one isn't an A's fan, the only real interesting aspect of the trade is Beane's attempt to construct a new market inefficiency based on the current over-valuing of prospects league wide. The Jays, Dbacks (back in the off-season), Pirates etc were unwilling to give up Archie Bradley, or two of Stroman/Daniel Norris/Aaron Sanchez, and from what I've heard, the Pirates had some interest in Hammel but weren't willing to give up Glasnow or Kingham, so Beane jumped in. I wouldn't mind seeing the A's cash it in this year and then Michael Lewis can pen another book about Beane creating an inefficiency with stocking up on arb/cost controlled relievers and strict platoon players (Norris/Jaso, Reddick/Gentry, Moss/Frieman/Blanks, Callaspo/Sogard), and subsequently the over-valuing of prospects. I mean no one seemed to care that Michael Choice, who was the consensus #2 A's prospect behind Russell along with their #8 ranked prospect in Chris Bostick, were dealt to a division rival for a reserve/platoon OFer in Craig Gentry and fringe RP Josh Lindblom earlier in the year so this really shouldn't surprise anyone from the A's fan perspective. That Beane is all in this year. Grant Green was an A's top 5 prospect for a few years and he was also dealt to a division rival for the mediocre but useful Alberto Callaspo last July. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Beane were to attempt to package top pitching prospect Bobby Wahl or someone else for an upgrade at 2B. Perhaps Ben Zobrist or someone along those lines.

• Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Oh Drew Pomeranz..... The A's might not have had to mortgage their farm had he not got mad and punched a chair.... Bet he feels like a fonzanoon!!! Of course I'm just jealous because now they look like they can finally beat the Tigers in the playoffs!