Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Jimmy foxx did you know

Reading the back of card and in 1932 he hit 58 home runs and had 2 more that he lost to rain calling the game.

Comments

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the Beast. Very underrated IMO. I also remember hearing somewhere that Lou Gehrig, who finished 7 HRs shy of 500, lost 7 HRs to rainouts.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Interesting. Doesn't happen as much today with 4 hour rain delays.
  • ashabbyashabby Posts: 471

<< <i>Love the Beast. Very underrated IMO. I also remember hearing somewhere that Lou Gehrig, who finished 7 HRs shy of 500, lost 7 HRs to rainouts. >>

As I scan my cards in I am reading the info. I am learning a lot. Did not know that about Lou.
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Few people know that in 1985, when Tommy Herr "supposedly" had only eight home runs and 110 RBIs, that he had the unfortunate luck of having 27 home runs lost to games called for rain. It's a fact.
    No way. That is some bad luck.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew he hit 58- never knew about the two that did not count.

He played with the Cubs later in his career- My mother was able to get his autograph probably in the 1944 or 45 season

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Tommy Herr losing 27 HR's.....Umm NO. NO WAY.
  • ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Actually, in '32 he hit a right field screen in St. Louis that was not there when Ruth hit 60 in '27 5 times. He also reportedly hit a screen in Cleveland, not there for Ruth in '27, at least 3 times. Add those to the 2 that were rained out and he would have had 68 home runs. WOW! how that would have changed the history of baseball as we know it. Roger Maris who?

<< <i>Actually, in '32 he hit a right field screen in St. Louis that was not there when Ruth hit 60 in '27 5 times. He also reportedly hit a screen in Cleveland, not there for Ruth in '27, at least 3 times. Add those to the 2 that were rained out and he would have had 68 home runs. WOW! how that would have changed the history of baseball as we know it. Roger Maris who? >>

Wow! Did not know that. At times with parks changing and equipment it does seem like a few players may have not gotten due they deserve.