Home Sports Talk
Options

Player kills ref in amateur soccer match.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Text

Story linked was released before the referee succumbed to the vicious attack and died.

Story caught my eye as it happened in the town where I grew up.

Comments

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Yikes. That's sad and scary. I have to admit, it's a little surprising to me that people would die from a single punch to the head but I guess if you hit them just right (or wrong) that it really could do serious damage.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yikes. That's sad and scary. I have to admit, it's a little surprising to me that people would die from a single punch to the head but I guess if you hit them just right (or wrong) that it really could do serious damage. >>

It does happen. Several years ago a guy I went to school with(a year behind me) got in a "friendly fight" over someone
    looking at his woman at the bar. 2 punches later, the other guy never got up. If memory serves, he got 5 years.
    Heat of the moment dumb decision is all it takesimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I actually play in the league in which this happened (MUSL). We've had issues with ref abuse for years, though obviously nothing this severe before.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, this happened here in Michigan. People are going overboard because the guy who did the punching is Arabic. It does not matter at this point!!
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, this happened here in Michigan. People are going overboard because the guy who did the punching is Arabic. It does not matter at this point!! >>

That is too bad. Stupidity and violence knows no race. I used to play pick up basketball at the old Bentley High, in Livonia (same town as the ref killing). In the early nineties some idiot shot and seriously injured a player who he misidentified as a guy who had hit on his girlfriend a few days earlier.

I figured that it was a good time to find a new venue.