Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Selling Items from Collection

I am having to sell some of my collection and have received two appraisals with significant differences on one item. It's a framed piece with signature cards from eight HOF legends of baseball. Curious if anyone out there can help with a better idea of worth.

Autographs from Jimmie Foxx, Tris Speaker, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Cy Young, Honus Wagner, Rogers Hornsby, and Mel Ott. The total size of the item is 38" x 45". Each has letters has a least one letter of authenticity. I listed them below as well.

Jimmie Foxx PSA/DNA, JSA
Tris Speaker PSA/DNA
Babe Ruth PSA/DNA
Ty Cobb JSA
Cy Young PSA/DNA
Honus Wagner PSA/DNA
Rogers Hornsby JSA
Mel Ott PSA/DNA

Anyone have a good estimate of value? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    I have attached a picture of the item...

• Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Im guessing you are having trouble uploading the image? I did when I first joined. You have to host the pics on a website
    such as photobucket. then link it here.

I cant help any on autos such as those, but boy would I love to see them!!!image
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    turn on your private messages to
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    One more try... I think this should work now. Thanks for the help ChiefsFan1st!

Link to photos
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what the estimated value is (other than a very high amount!), but that is one awesome piece of baseball memorabilia!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One more try... I think this should work now. Thanks for the help ChiefsFan1st!

Link to photos >>

No problem, glad I could help.

....and WOAH!! I collect mostly football, but shazam!! Them are some serious hobby heavyweights thereimage
    You come to the right place. There are guys here that can give you a close idea or at least steer you in the right
    directionimage

Also, the correct answer is more than $20image
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    CocoaBeachDodgersCocoaBeachDodgers Posts: 749 ✭✭✭
    To start with, what a wonderful piece:

When appraising an item of this nature, I would start with what exactly do you have. That would be 8 very nice autograph cuts. Second would be condition, and they appear very clean & bold with the small exception of the stain on the Wagner.
    Foxx $ 700
    Speaker $ 500
    Ruth $3000
    Cobb $ 800
    Young $ 750
    Wagner $ 750
    Hornsby $ 450
    Ott $ 700

Total $7650

Now, when you put something like this professionally together it sort of becomes a one of a kind item & is hard to compare other sales. I believe that in a major auction house this piece would conservatively go between $8000 and $10,000. Of course, you would need to make sure the COA's match up with the signatures. Also in an auction, you always have that possibility of a couple of big hitters that really want that item and bid higher.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Here are some of the pictures:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    That is an incredible display piece! I'd wish you luck with your sales, but I don't think you'll need any luck with an item like that.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is WOW! I think CBD is correct on the estimate for sale, for insurance purposes I'd go at least 50% higher.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All I can say is WOW! I think CBD is correct on the estimate for sale, for insurance purposes I'd go at least 50% higher. >>

+1
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    OMG..Outstanding

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    no Gregory Polancos?
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
  • Options
    Make sure they are not laser copies or you will run yourself into a large amount of trouble. Very common with pieces like this.
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422

<< <i>Make sure they are not laser copies or you will run yourself into a large amount of trouble. Very common with pieces like this. >>

He listed the companies that authenticated the autos. Seems top notch to me.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Make sure they are not laser copies or you will run yourself into a large amount of trouble. Very common with pieces like this. >>

He listed the companies that authenticated the autos. Seems top notch to me. >>

I have seen elaborate forgeries before. I am not saying it is no good, just to be sure. If the OP got each auto himself and then had it assembled there is no chance whatsoever, but if it was purchased assembled then ink does need to be checked.
  • Options
    As the certificates of authenticity vary for each signature, yet all autos are now assembled in one piece, it would seem to suggest that each sig was individually certified and authenticated prior to this piece being customized.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>As the certificates of authenticity vary for each signature, yet all autos are now assembled in one piece, it would seem to suggest that each sig was individually certified and authenticated prior to this piece being customized. >>

This.
  • Options
    It is a pretty neat piece.
  • Options
    If anyone knows someone out there interested in framed jerseys or more, let me know. I have attached a link to many more items I'm looking to sell. I hate to part with so much of my collection but unfortunately have to start...

Link to photos
  • Options
    Starting a thread in the buy/sell/trade forum will be much more effective for you.
  • Options
    Thanks Dan. I didn't realize there was a separate section.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    I would not quickly assume all genuine with those papers and from those photographs. Maybe, maybe not. If the OP bought with trust in papers alone and is unable to participate in the authentication process one becomes hesitant.

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>I would not quickly assume all genuine with those papers and from those photographs. Maybe, maybe not. If the OP bought with trust in papers alone and is unable to participate in the authentication process one becomes hesitant.

Eric >>

Are you saying that PSA/DNA and/or JSA authentication is not sufficient?

• Options
    Papers mean nothing to me, apart from the one with the signature on it. If I do not find it genuine, starting with the notion an item is fake and determining it genuine (signature, paper, ink, item signed etc.), no certificate will make me purchase. Anyone buying on the strength of papers alone, any papers, is asking for trouble IMO and will eventually find it. "Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow...but one day..."

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>Papers mean nothing to me, apart from the one with the signature on it. If I do not find it genuine, starting with the notion an item is fake and determining it genuine (signature, paper, ink, item signed etc.), no certificate will make me purchase. Anyone buying on the strength of papers alone, any papers, is asking for trouble IMO and will eventually find it. "Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow...but one day..."

Eric >>

So you are saying that PSA/DNA and/or JSA authentication is not sufficient in your estimation. But doesn't a reputable authentication company like PSA/DNA or JSA conduct the proper testing you described to determine the authenticity of an autograph? Isn't that the entire point of getting the autograph authenticated in the first place? To confirm authenticity in the market place?

• Options
    I make no statement about any company in particular - in this context I spoke of papers plural with photographs one can not see well enough to say anything.
    Authenticity in the market place. Market acceptable and acceptable to others - very different.
    I maintain - buy certificates alone, with no practical authentication experience, no opinion, and you will eventually buy a forgery.

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>I make no statement about any company in particular - in this context I spoke of papers plural with photographs one can not see well enough to say anything.
    Authenticity in the market place. Market acceptable and acceptable to others - very different.
    I maintain - buy certificates alone, with no practical authentication experience, no opinion, and you will eventually buy a forgery.

Eric >>

But aren't you in fact making a statement about both PSA/DNA and JSA when you state that you would not assume these particular autos are authentic based on "those papers." Obviously, the photographs taken by the OP for the purpose of posting pics here aren't exactly clear in this case, but again, isn't the fact that each signature has already been scrutinized and deemed authentic by either/both PSA/DNA and JSA sufficient to confirm authenticity?

I'm not an avid autograph collector, but I have a number of autographs I've acquired through the years, and was considering sending a select few to PSA/DNA for authentication, so I'm wondering why such authentication would not be viewed as sufficient in your estimation?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I make no statement about any company in particular - in this context I spoke of papers plural with photographs one can not see well enough to say anything.

Eric >>

But aren't you in fact making a statement about both PSA/DNA and JSA when you state that you would not assume these particular autos are authentic based on "those papers." Obviously, the photographs taken by the OP for the purpose of posting pics here aren't exactly clear in this case, but again, isn't the fact that each signature has already been scrutinized and deemed authentic by either/both PSA/DNA and JSA sufficient to confirm authenticity?

I'm not an avid autograph collector, but I have a number of autographs I've acquired through the years, and was considering sending a select few to PSA/DNA for authentication, so I'm wondering why such authentication would not be viewed as sufficient in your estimation? >>

There are plenty of post-1998 manufacturer authenticated autos that I'm positive were not signed by the player and are authenticated automatically. Why would you assume any company doesn't make mistakes? There are plenty of autos I wouldn't buy, regardless of who certified them.
  • Options
    <<But aren't you in fact making a statement about both PSA/DNA and JSA when you state that you would not assume these particular autos are authentic based on "those papers." Obviously, the photographs taken by the OP for the purpose of posting pics here aren't exactly clear in this case, but again, isn't the fact that each signature has already been scrutinized and deemed authentic by either/both PSA/DNA and JSA sufficient to confirm authenticity?>>

I would not assume anything is genuine based on papers alone from anyone. No, the fact that some signatures have been deemed "good" by other parties is not good enough for me. Starting point, maybe.

<<I'm not an avid autograph collector, but I have a number of autographs I've acquired through the years, and was considering sending a select few to PSA/DNA for authentication, so I'm wondering why such authentication would not be viewed as sufficient in your estimation?>>

Because, for me, I see too much bad stuff passed. And enough genuine early material found bad. Many folks believe Bette Davis' early pre 1940 fountain signature is a secretarial simply because the have not examined enough of her early letters and contracts and have seen way more of her post 1960 sig form, in felt tip. Same for E.G. Robinson. These are often turned away. Last time, third (?) time in over 10 years, an entity objected to an item of mine, I simply sent a full analysis, using no words, to the head authenticator of so and so and they did an immediate 180 degree turn around. Self education is KEY.
    So I say, buying on the strength of papers alone, any papers, will eventually lead to the purchase of a forgery or secretarial etc.

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>Eric >>

Thanks for your previous help on the auto and persistence, BTW. Just realized you'd made another post after I'd given up from the blocks.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Eric >>

Thanks for your previous help on the auto and persistence, BTW. Just realized you'd made another post after I'd given up from the blocks. >>

Thanks image No problem anytime.
    Edit to add: I had to look - I recall the signature you mentioned now image Funny too, as I was sort of quoting "Casablanca" in this thread. image

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Eric >>

I'm not an avid autograph collector, but I have a number of autographs I've acquired through the years, and was considering sending a select few to PSA/DNA for authentication, so I'm wondering why such authentication would not be viewed as sufficient in your estimation? >>

There are plenty of post-1998 manufacturer authenticated autos that I'm positive were not signed by the player and are authenticated automatically. Why would you assume any company doesn't make mistakes? There are plenty of autos I wouldn't buy, regardless of who certified them. >>

I'm talking more about vintage autos like the ones described here rather than post-1998 inserts and such. But even so, I would hope (and expect) that an authenticating company such as PSA/DNA and/or JSA would take proper due diligence when authenticating an autograph as genuine. In any event, some interesting commentary here about a part of the hobby with which I am not all too familiar.

• Options
    My point in this thread was this: Anyone buying on the strength of papers alone, any papers, is asking for trouble IMO and will eventually find it. "Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow...but one day..."

Just to be clear: I make NO comment about the items offered in this thread apart from two very generalized statements - how could I - I can't see those items in those images. I was certainly not inferring that papers from any service suggest something is not genuine. That may not be the case with certain individual authenticators, but that is not on the table here.
    I am saying that IMO it is best to do your own work to protect yourself. I would not buy blindly from anyone based on some papers alone.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭
    Jsa/PsA and other that authenticate autographs are "OPINIONS" based on the expertise.Thier is no buy back poilcy if the item turns out to be fake such as in pcgs in the coin field. All of the companies have had well documented examples in mistakes made but should not be relied upon entirely to determing authenticity or not

Here's a site with some examples documented

website documents fake autographs