Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Feedback on my new scanner SCAN HEAVY!!

Hey everyone,

Just received my V33 in the mail today from Amazon. Very excited to use it, but I wanted feedback on my first scans before I scanned my whole collection.
Here are the specs that I used:
400 dpi
48-bit color
Unsharp Mask

Are there any other specs that I need to adjust? I know that this scan looks better than any other scan from my old scanner, but I feel it could be a little more clear, similar to the card from this thread.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

PDub

Comments

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great Paul. About time you buy a new scannerimage. Now show off your collection.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Looks good from here Paul. Love the test subjects too. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    The scans look wonderful. The only thing I would adjust and it's because I'm nit-picky is the automatic edge detection. It would bother me to have the edges of my holder cut off. This happens because the scanner's auto detect can't see the difference between the empty scanner bed and the clear holder in some cases. I just change the scanner into manual mode and use the cropping tool to select the edge I want. And then I clean it up in GIMP image editor.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
    Or now that I think about it since both cards are cut off at the bottom you may be placing the card too low in the scanner.
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Or now that I think about it since both cards are cut off at the bottom you may be placing the card too low in the scanner. >>

You're right. I placed it at the bottom to keep it lined up straight. I need to make some type of template to use so that it won't happen in the future.
    Any ideas? I'm thinking a piece of cardboard cut at a right angle.
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭
    I have the v30 and use a ruler on the side of the bed to keep everything straight. It fits perfectly, and I just crop it out. It is basically an artificial edge.

<< <i>I have the v30 and use a ruler on the side of the bed to keep everything straight. It fits perfectly, and I just crop it out. It is basically an artificial edge. >>

I was thinking that too.
  • I have an Omnigrid that I use for checking centering. It works perfectly for this: lay it flay on the scanner bed, put the card down, then slide it up and back down to have your card be perfectly square without getting cut off.

<< <i>I have an Omnigrid that I use for checking centering. It works perfectly for this: lay it flay on the scanner bed, put the card down, then slide it up and back down to have your card be perfectly square without getting cut off. >>

I was thinking of something like this. Isn't there something that is an "L" shape so both the bottom and side are off the edges?
  • Even though the picture is rectangular, the actual Omnigrid is a 6x6 square. I have not seen an L. If you find one, post it here. That would be nice!
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Looks good Paul, I use my gamestop card as a bumper to put the card against when scanning and crop out the black of the gamestop card.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
    I found an "L" square ruler that is a tailoring tool. I might buy it on amazon if I can't find it at Office Depot or Staples.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this day and age, it baffles me that scanners don't scan all the way to the edge of their surfaces. I just don't get it.
    Here is the link to Amazon

I checked other sites and this looks the cheapest.
    So here is what I ended up getting. Just a plain ol' mat board pre cut from Michaels. I figured that if I ever need anything bigger than what I can fit inside the opening, I could always cut two sides off and it will still work….and it only cost me $3.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great idea. I'm going to get one of those.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the great idea. I'm going to get one of those. >>

Uh-oh, I foresee many scans of #22 coming up, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>

Uh-oh, I foresee many scans of #22 coming up, lol.. >>

Lol!! Yep and 33, 34 and all the other scrubs that played rb for the Cowboys.

<< <i>So here is what I ended up getting. Just a plain ol' mat board pre cut from Michaels. I figured that if I ever need anything bigger than what I can fit inside the opening, I could always cut two sides off and it will still work….and it only cost me $3. >>

Genius!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Lol!! Yep and 33, 34 and all the other scrubs that played rb for the Cowboys. >>

Don't forget Romo!! He's had a few carries, too! LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Lol!! Yep and 33, 34 and all the other scrubs that played rb for the Cowboys. >>

Don't forget Romo!! He's had a few carries, too! LOL! >>

Nah hahaha!
    Here is my first batch of HOF Rookies, I was only able to get through 1965 so far.

• elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Feedback on my new scanner AWESOME HEAVY!!

There, I fixed that for you.

You've got a good eye, many of these present stronger than the grade.

Are you sticking to post-war HOF RCs?

Much respect to anyone tackling that set... the much smaller, much cheap football version is a beast, I wouldn't dare try for baseball.

Snorto~

<< <i>Feedback on my new scanner AWESOME HEAVY!!

There, I fixed that for you.

You've got a good eye, many of these present stronger than the grade.

Are you sticking to post-war HOF RCs?

Much respect to anyone tackling that set... the much smaller, much cheap football version is a beast, I wouldn't dare try for baseball.

Snorto~ >>

Thank you so much for fixing that. image If I have time tomorrow, I'll post the rest from what I have so far. I don't plan at this time to expanding to any other sports or the Pre-War HOF set. That might be way out of my league.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So here is what I ended up getting. Just a plain ol' mat board pre cut from Michaels. I figured that if I ever need anything bigger than what I can fit inside the opening, I could always cut two sides off and it will still work….and it only cost me $3.

image >>

i made my own for each size of PSA holders, except for those that take up the entire length of scanner bed. just go buy some thick poster board material, at least 3/8" thick. use a good sharp knife to cut around each holder. if your scanner program allows you to save setting then you are all set. scan and optimize, then save the setting including your scan area mask. then mass scanning is easy.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    Scanning is complete for the HOF collection I have so far. I'll be picking something else up sometime soon with my eBay bucks.
    Thanks for taking the time to look at my cards.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AWESOME run ... thanks for sharing!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.