Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ANA Trip

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
I may have concluded a successful negotiation with my wife to head out to the show. Never been to this one and this can be a real treat, as all I have been to has been the NY show.

Any suggestions regarding

1) How many days
2) Which days
3) Hotel
4) Activities to attend?

Thanks in advance - if anyone is planning to be there please lets make the time to meet.

Zohar

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zohar,

I believe the 2014 summer ANA show will be in Rosemont, right? There are plenty of hotels near the convention center.

When deciding on which days to attend, you need to separate out the auction from the bourse. I know you know how to plan for the auction, so let's talk bourse: be there for early bird. It's like an extra $100 or so, but the badge also gets you in at dealer setup time (one hour earlier than regular floor traffic) on regular days.

Then you'll need minimum another full day before returning home the next day (your evenings will be booked eating and hanging out with folks you know). If it were me, I'd be there probably for early bird day, plus two regular days because it's nice to hang out or attend the auctions.

Btw, I'm not going. Have fun!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVP made excellent suggestions. Plan for as many days as
    possible. There will be several dealers there with the types
    of coins you enjoy collecting. The ANA web site has a list of
    all of the activities. I hope you are an ANA member because
    that speeds up registration if you don't pre-register.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I would recommend multiple days as well. I do not collect at the level where I think that the $100 is better spent on the early bird registration than on coins, so I avoid that. But for someone like you where you may be in contention with another collector or two for the same rare piece and all of you are only waiting on the opportunity to purchase one of a few coins then the early bird registration may be a good investment in your hunt.

It is a big bourse. Really big. You want to give yourself as much time as your wife will allow because hours disappear quickly as you work through each dealer's inventory. Also, side note, be in comfortable shoes and clothes.

Chicago is my hometown and there is a multitude of great places to eat in the city. If you can treat yourself to going downtown, eat there and avoid the places right by the convention center because while they may be good, the number is limited and I feel overpriced at that. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While there are a ton of dealers, a large number of them are US-only and you can skip them if you aren't interested. I'd still book at least two days - the Heritage Ancients Platinum Night auction may be of interest to you as well (although they're saying all of the pieces are $5K+, but even if you aren't bidding, it's worth looking at them in-hand).

I definitely suggest getting an ANA membership as suggested - the line can be an hour long to get in, significantly eating away at coin time image

I've generally always gotten an Early Bird badge and I've found it worthwhile, more so when buying US coins but still relevant when buying ancients. There will be a lot of international dealers walking the floor as soon as it opens so it's in your best interest to jump in as early as possible if you have something specific that you're looking for.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    I am thinking leave Wednesday early AM shoot straight to the hotel. Stay at the Hyatt. Goto convention. Spend Thursday Friday in full, leave first thing Saturday.

Makes sense?
  • Options
    That sounds pretty reasonable Z. Saturday and Sunday are always a little slower and Sunday the dealers are bailing out left and right so you won't miss anything on that day for sure. If you feel like company let me know and I will try and meet you on the floor.
  • Options
    Nick - I will definitely do that. Let me confirm the schedule and accommodations.
  • Options
    Good stuff. I will most likely be there on Friday if I have to choose only one day.
  • Options
    Game on - was able to use my leftover miles for hotel and flight which feels great.

Nick and others who plan on coming in, would love to meet in person. Let's coordinate as we near the date.
  • Options
    Yes that would be great. I look forward to seeing as many folks as possible.

Josh and Dennis will you be there this year?