Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hey CBH people, what is your opinion on this one...

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking at a type coin for the series and this one looks pretty good to me. There will be a premium for the toning, but I would argue that it is worth it. Seeking opinions please.

Comments

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    I have just started a collection of CBHs in AU. If you decide to pass, please tell me where to find it.

If that is to be your type coin, I would try to go up the scle a bit.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    I'd do it!
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Pretty coin for the grade, but how about upping the grade a bit?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    If I keep costs down a bit on this one, then there can be other "type coins" in the set. I already have my eye on another!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps I am in the minority, but I don't find the obverse very attractive. I do not believe the toning is worth a premium. The reverse looks nice, but the obverse looks cooked (not "doctored," just too dark for my taste). If you like it, then that's what really matters.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it well enough but I wouldn't pay a premium for it. It doesn't really grab me.

If you're okay with something late in the series like this (i.e., less expensive than older siblings) I would aim for something a bit more original in appearance and in higher grade with, I would hope, attractive luster.
    Lance.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Perhaps I am in the minority, but I don't find the obverse very attractive. I do not believe the toning is worth a premium. The reverse looks nice, but the obverse looks cooked (not "doctored," just too dark for my taste). If you like it, then that's what really matters. >>

I agree! But to each there own.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can afford a better example and an earlier date that is original looking that's what I would go for. Even a lower grade would be better than this one in an earlier date. But by all means if you like it it's your decision. Myself..... I don't care for this one at all.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's better and as stated don't pay a premium for that tone. For type step on up to at least a 58 with luster IMO.
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad coin for an AU50, toning not too bad but would expect to pay only a modest if any premium. IMHO, its concentric color that gets bid up, color mixed with darker toning can be a nice find but it would not add too much value in the market place. But as always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I have paid strong premiums for coins I personally just happened to like. Let us know if you spring for it.
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I certainly love the coin but if you are looking for a type for this series I would go for something mid to late teens. JMO. Then again it depend how large the premium and budget.
  • Options
    Would this one be a better choice then? Seems pretty original. Would leave me plenty of room to pick up a few others on the off chance that I did an XF/AU set.
    PCGS XF45-and scuffs on the holder
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second coin looks nice and wholesome. But have you thought about an earlier year? Much more desirable.

I don't know what your budget is but here's a $400 coin I bought on BST a couple of years ago. It's only a 45 but it has some nice attributes...color, luster, and cool die cracks. Something like this would be pretty neat as a type coin. Lots of history around the date, and character that says something about early Mint production.

No, I'm not selling it...just trying to suggest what can be had for a modest sum that would be a cool type coin.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice color but looks more XF to me.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    its nice, and the color adds appeal. If the rest of your type set has toned coins, id say go for it.

BT&C
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the obverse toning.

The reverse is just "OK", in my eyes.

Overall, a pretty handsome coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would this one be a better choice then? Seems pretty original. Would leave me plenty of room to pick up a few others on the off chance that I did an XF/AU set.
    PCGS XF45-and scuffs on the holder
    image >>

Perhaps it's the image, but the obverse surfaces look a bit off. The reverse toning looks nice (for my taste). The big deterrent for me are the two punch marks just above the date. Marks like that in a prime focal point are difficult to ignore.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    This is an XF45 in my collection. I upgraded to an AU55 but can't get myself to sell this example.

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>The second coin looks nice and wholesome. But have you thought about an earlier year? Much more desirable.

I don't know what your budget is but here's a $400 coin I bought on BST a couple of years ago. It's only a 45 but it has some nice attributes...color, luster, and cool die cracks. Something like this would be pretty neat as a type coin. Lots of history around the date, and character that says something about early Mint production.

No, I'm not selling it...just trying to suggest what can be had for a modest sum that would be a cool type coin.
    Lance.

>>

Lance, that one will cost in excess of $500 now, perhaps pushing over $600....FWIW

If he is looking to keep it in the $300-400 range, then an AU50-53 later date is what you can expect. PCGS graded AU58's have been going up over $1000 for a decent later date example.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. It's difficult to dislike coins.
    Sometimes I feel sorry for some CBHs when I see them (especially mine image )
    So that's why I'm here…. to get inspired with classics and still not "beat down" moderns or modern collectors, who eventually (like me) just share their opinions about how these are "awesome" coins with a rich history. Yours , like most I see, is FINE. (That fine has nothing to do with Sheldon or Overton)
    And I think even stman might agree there's some "crust". image
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd do it! >>

agreed
    Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file