Thanks

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    can't get worse....or can it??
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>can't get worse....or can it?? >>

$20 per card for cards valued under $100. 1,000 cards minimum required. Turnaround time approximately 500 business days/varies with demand.
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$20 per card for cards valued under $100. 1,000 cards minimum required. Turnaround time approximately 500 business days/varies with demand. >>

This is hilarious. In all seriousnesss though, with the sets I'm currently working on, it isn't feasible for me to send in anything over 6 bucks a card. That's my cut off. Of course, 5 bucks a card is much better lets keep our fingers crossed lol.

Jimmy
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    with nationals this month do you think they will be better?
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    $4.00 per card in honor of the 4th.

Come on PSA.............

.image
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    the days of $4 and $5 specials are long gone
  • Options

<< <i>the days of $4 and $5 specials are long gone >>

That appears to be so.....
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

$6 specials, too..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

$6 specials, too.. >>

At ^$6 price levels, I'm not sure I'll ever sub another card again. I'm buying vintage 8s and even 9s on eBay all day long at or below the cost to grade it myself...and that's not even factoring the cost to acquire the card to be submitted.
  • Options

<< <i> Turnaround time approximately 500 business days/varies with demand. >>

I'm almost there.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    July 2010 was a good club special...I've checked at least 10 times today on the site...still no update.

July 2010
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bulk special is all we can hope for
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Oohh what did you say Doug...hmmm?? hahaha
  • Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    Why are the $5 and under submission fees gone for good??
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Oohh what did you say Doug...hmmm?? hahaha >>

Matt ... was trying to LINK a youtube page but it didnt work!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Please offer a special on autographed cards AND TICKETS if possible! That would be great!
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    July specials just posted
    Sorry I waited
    Same specials but raised the per-card fee
    Guess they are trying to turn away biz at the home office since they will be at the Nat

If you're gonna be at the National, you can submit in person for $6 ea

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be nice to see a pack special once in a while.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I waited until July for no reason.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Well, we knew the $7 special was coming at some point, I suppose. It will make me much more discerning on what I submit, as the cost essentially precludes most late 70s and later common cards, even at PSA 9 grade.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Wow $7.00? That's an antithesis of a specialimage
  • Options

<< <i>
    At ^$6 price levels, I'm not sure I'll ever sub another card again. I'm buying vintage 8s and even 9s on eBay all day long at or below the cost to grade it myself...and that's not even factoring the cost to acquire the card to be submitted. >>

does it really matter if the cost is $6 or $7 a card. if you submit 100 card the difference is 100 bucks. I have never looked at a submission on a card by card basis if it is worth it. I always look at the submission as a whole. some cards will end up not being worth the grading fee and others will be worth much more and in the end I will be ahead of the game vs. buying the cards already graded. if you pull one random 10 or even a 9 on the right card it will usually cover any additional expenses and then some

and the most important part is that it is FUN to submit cards. if I go buy 50 psa 8's , I know what I am getting. if I submit 50 cards, there is entertainment in the unknown
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    You all knew this was going to happen from a finance perspective right? Last quarter PSA probably graded 435K cards, a new record. When you are at record pace, backlogs are excessive, and you have 90%+ of the market, why would you push low cost specials?

I imagine they will go through the backlog and if they get some breathing room, they will run a low cost special once or twice per year.
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    I do agree with packcollector that there is a certain entertainment value in submitting your own cards. It's a sense of pride that you know what you're doing when you get some good grades back.

And depending on what you are submitting, the $1 extra might not seem like a lot. But if you are submitting commons or minor stars that you think will get 8s or 9s, for the most part it isn't worth it on anything from the mid-70's on up.

• Options
    RaulsmasterRaulsmaster Posts: 663 ✭✭
    I was surprised that they posted the National special already as well. I thought it would be less than 6/card considering they ran one for 5.50 at the show in california last month
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    I think if you sign up for the Platinum membership, they should also include 1 coupon for $5 or $5.50 grading, up to 100 cards, value $100 or less. This would help out the guys who like to submit commons from the 70s.
  • Options

<< <i>

does it really matter if the cost is $6 or $7 a card. if you submit 100 card the difference is 100 bucks. I have never looked at a submission on a card by card basis if it is worth it. I always look at the submission as a whole. some cards will end up not being worth the grading fee and others will be worth much more and in the end I will be ahead of the game vs. buying the cards already graded. if you pull one random 10 or even a 9 on the right card it will usually cover any additional expenses and then some

and the most important part is that it is FUN to submit cards. if I go buy 50 psa 8's , I know what I am getting. if I submit 50 cards, there is entertainment in the unknown >>

Good points. I just got poppage on 74 cards, and it cost me a grand total of $490. If I spread it out, it comes to $6.62 per card. If I look at it that way, then there are about 20 cards that absolutely weren't worth it. But the 45 Gem Mint 10's make the overall price a bargain.

I guess my question for some of you is.....why do you want to get 1977 NM-MT common cards graded in the first place? They obviously aren't profitable at any grading price, so are they just for your collection? If so, why not just store them in nice top loaders? I don't see the point in getting them graded at any price.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    At ^$6 price levels, I'm not sure I'll ever sub another card again. I'm buying vintage 8s and even 9s on eBay all day long at or below the cost to grade it myself...and that's not even factoring the cost to acquire the card to be submitted. >>

and the most important part is that it is FUN to submit cards. if I go buy 50 psa 8's , I know what I am getting. if I submit 50 cards, there is entertainment in the unknown >>

It depends on your goals. If it's something for your collection or the cards have personal meaning, then price is secondary. However, if you're subbing a large vending or cut case lot with multiple examples of each card for resale, and 9s typically sell for $7-$10 and then you get a half dozen 8s back for some reason which sell for $1.25, then it doesn't take long to figure it's a losing proposition.
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Question....can any cards be submitted under the PSA Set Registry Special for $8 (valued under $100)? Or are there limitations?

I usually don't have enough cards I want graded to do a submission to meet the 25 card minimum for the $7 CC special.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

does it really matter if the cost is $6 or $7 a card >>

Yes
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Question....can any cards be submitted under the PSA Set Registry Special for $8 (valued under $100)? Or are there limitations?

I usually don't have enough cards I want graded to do a submission to meet the 25 card minimum for the $7 CC special. >>

It looks like a good bet for you to submit your cards under that special and hopefully your wait time will be well worth the extra $1 per card.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>At ^$6 price levels, I'm not sure I'll ever sub another card again. I'm buying vintage 8s and even 9s on eBay all day long at or below the cost to grade it myself...and that's not even factoring the cost to acquire the card to be submitted. >>

It depends on your goals. If it's something for your collection or the cards have personal meaning, then price is secondary. However, if you're subbing a large vending or cut case lot with multiple examples of each card for resale, and 9s typically sell for $7-$10 and then you get a half dozen 8s back for some reason which sell for $1.25, then it doesn't take long to figure it's a losing proposition. >>

if that is the case then you have gone from being a collector, after all we are talking about COLLECTOR's CLUB specials , to being a dealer. then call up psa and ask them for a bulk dealer rate.

or even in that scenario , if you get a dozen 9's and a dozen 10's , I am sure the 10's will offset the 8's and you will be profitable

<< <i>At ^$6 price levels, I'm not sure I'll ever sub another card again. I'm buying vintage 8s and even 9s on eBay all day long at or below the cost to grade it myself...and that's not even factoring the cost to acquire the card to be submitted. >>

does it really matter if the cost is $6 or $7 a card >>

Yes >>

why, because you can't make a profit? If a buck is your profit margin then I suggest finding something else to support your hobby.

PSA's goal has and always will be is to maximize profit. They do not have an obligation to make their rates low enough for the members on this board to make a profit, that is not their goal. Simple supply and demand, if demand is high enough that you can't keep up with the work, raise the rates to where there is an equilibrium
  • Options
    I would agree with Duncan that there is an element of enjoyment in submitting cards for grading. It is te reason I wait till the cards arrive before checking the grades~it is very exciting to me as a collector to study each card after seeing the grade. And I will continue to submit the sharpest cards for my sets even if the value of a PSA 9 of said card is $10 or less. But there is also question that higher sub fees will make collectors more discerning on what cards to send in, too.

• Options
    Durnit! Only have 17 worth subbing. Could be worse. check out Beckett's July "special"

July Grading Offer - 45-Day Grading For $7 per card

For July, Beckett Grading is offering a special on the 45-day service level. Submit 100 or more cards in July, and Beckett will grade them for just $7 per card plus, you pay just $1 extra for any autographed cards. This is a savings of at least $100 off your BGS order. Your order must contain at least 100 modern or vintage cards to qualify.
  • Options
    SGC has a good special going this month. Not sure if their label debacle has been corrected however....
  • Options

<< <i>But there is also question that higher sub fees will make collectors more discerning on what cards to send in, too. >>

And in my opinion, that is a good thing. 1978 Topps Johnny LeMaster cards that are NM need to stay in their shoeboxes and stop clogging up my eBay searches.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>But there is also question that higher sub fees will make collectors more discerning on what cards to send in, too. >>

And in my opinion, that is a good thing. 1978 Topps Johnny LeMaster cards that are NM need to stay in their shoeboxes and stop clogging up my eBay searches. >>

Not grading those cards will have no impact on that--it's raw cards that clog up those searches, not graded ones.

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>

And in my opinion, that is a good thing. 1978 Topps Johnny LeMaster cards that are NM need to stay in their shoeboxes and stop clogging up my eBay searches. >>

3 of those cards clog your ebay searches?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

3 of those cards clog your ebay searches? >>

Okay, how do I say this nicely. That was what we call an "example". There are thousands of worthless common PSA 7 cards on eBay. Maybe people will stop sending those in at $7 per card. Hopefully you knew what I meant. If not, we have other issues to discuss.
  • Options

<< <i>

Not grading those cards will have no impact on that--it's raw cards that clog up those searches, not graded ones. >>

It will certainly have an impact on searches that use the keyword "PSA".
  • Options
    I will probably suck it up and send a sub in this month as I did last month. I'd rather have the specials at $6 again, but part of the hobby that I get great pleasure from is self-submitting my own collection and subbing my batch of cards once a month. I personally weigh the entire sub as a whole instead of basing it on a card by card basis. I find doing it this way curbs any major disappointments and proves great surprises. I've realized after subbing cards for over two years that I am an incredibly conservative grader and in doing so, it alleviates any major disaster subs. For instance, if I send in 20 common 1978 Topps baseball cards and 19 of them come back an 8 or 9 but I hit a low pop 10 that will sell for $300, that is where the fun is at for me and I'm still ahead of the game.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not grading those cards will have no impact on that--it's raw cards that clog up those searches, not graded ones. >>

It will certainly have an impact on searches that use the keyword "PSA". >>

For the kind of cards you are referring to (for example, 78 NM LeMaster cards, or similar type cards), a sub fee of $7 vs $6 or even $5.50 won't have any real effect as those cards are not (for the most part) being submitted and sold even at past rates. To use the example you provided, there is a grand total of ONE PSA graded 1978 Lemaster card on ebay right now, auction or BIN.

• Options

<< <i>

For the kind of cards you are referring to (for example, 78 NM LeMaster cards, or similar type cards), a sub fee of $7 vs $6 or even $5.50 won't have any real effect as those cards are not (for the most part) being submitted and sold even at past rates. To use the example you provided, there is a grand total of ONE PSA graded 1978 Lemaster card on ebay right now, auction or BIN. >>

Either I'm too young for this board or too old for this board, because two of you now didn't understand that the LeMaster PSA 7 thing was an example.

Let's try it this way. If I do an eBay search for (1975,1976,1977,1978,1979) PSA (7,8,9,10) I get 18,853 results. The vast majority of those cards are worthless common NM to NM-MT cards that no one has any interest in.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

For the kind of cards you are referring to (for example, 78 NM LeMaster cards, or similar type cards), a sub fee of $7 vs $6 or even $5.50 won't have any real effect as those cards are not (for the most part) being submitted and sold even at past rates. To use the example you provided, there is a grand total of ONE PSA graded 1978 Lemaster card on ebay right now, auction or BIN. >>

Either I'm too young for this board or too old for this board, because two of you now didn't understand that the LeMaster PSA 7 thing was an example.

Let's try it this way. If I do an eBay search for (1975,1976,1977,1978,1979) PSA (7,8,9,10) I get 18,853 results. The vast majority of those cards are worthless common NM to NM-MT cards that no one has any interest in. >>

So now we're going to add PSA 9 and PSA 10 cards to your example? That is quite a different example then. You may be too young, but your example is still not accurate as you first presented it.

• Options
    Am I being Punk'd? How do you still not get this? That search is an example of something that I would put in if I were looking for stars from that era with a grade of at least 7. Instead of getting results of cards that are truly in demand, I am going to get 15,000 cards like Johnny LeMaster (***THAT WAS JUST AN EXAMPLE***).
  • Options
    Your example is wrong whether it's a 78 Johnny LeMaster or any similar common card in mid grade for that matter. Those cards in PSA 7 grade are not being sold on ebay now or in the past to any extent that would "clog up" your searches. That is why your so-called example is inaccurate.

• Options

<< <i>Your example is wrong whether it's a 78 Johnny LeMaster or any similar common card in mid grade for that matter. Those cards in PSA 7 grade are not being sold on ebay now or in the past to any extent that would "clog up" your searches. That is why your so-called example is inaccurate. >>

Oh really? So the cards on eBay in that condition are in demand? Cards that are about to go unsold, just on page one of that search:

Eduardo Rodriguez
    Darold Knowles
    Don Kessinger
    Terry Forster
    Marc Hill
    Rich Hinton
    Bill Travers
    John Milner
    Steve Rogers
    Paul Splitorff
    Vic Albury
    Gary Gentry
    Ray Corbin
    Carlos May
    Joe Lis
    Bobby Mitchell
    Dave Goltz
    Bruce Ellingsen

.......and I got bored. That's just on the first half of page one. But you don't think they are being sold on eBay.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Your example is wrong whether it's a 78 Johnny LeMaster or any similar common card in mid grade for that matter. Those cards in PSA 7 grade are not being sold on ebay now or in the past to any extent that would "clog up" your searches. That is why your so-called example is inaccurate. >>

Oh really? So the cards on eBay in that condition are in demand? Cards that are about to go unsold, just on page one of that search:

Eduardo Rodriguez
    Darold Knowles
    Don Kessinger
    Terry Forster
    Marc Hill
    Rich Hinton
    Bill Travers
    John Milner
    Steve Rogers
    Paul Splitorff
    Vic Albury
    Gary Gentry
    Ray Corbin
    Carlos May
    Joe Lis
    Bobby Mitchell
    Dave Goltz
    Bruce Ellingsen

.......and I got bored. That's just on the first half of page one. But you don't think they are being sold on eBay. >>

The vast majority of the PSA 7 1978 cards up for sale on ebay right now (and late 70s PSA 7 card in general) are key cards and HOFers, not commons. Look, I don't have time to go back and forth with you, as I know that is something you like to do, but once again, your assertion that listings for PSA 7 late 1970s commons are "clogging up" your ebay searches is inaccurate.

• Options

<< <i>

The vast majority of the PSA 7 1978 cards up for sale on ebay right now (and late 70s PSA 7 card in general) are key cards and HOFers, not commons. Look, I don't have time to go back and forth with you, as I know that is something you like to do, but once again, your assertion that listings for PSA 7 late 1970s commons are "clogging up" your ebay searches is inaccurate. >>

So even when I do the research for you and present the facts straight from an eBay search, you're still going to stick your fingers in your ears and claim otherwise? I guess that's one way to do it. Steve Renko and Bill Bonham say hello.