Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the correct way to use CARE or Blue Ribbon?

No jokes, just how does one apply it? Do you have to do anything once you remove the excess, etc?

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Q-tip to apply it, and save the old ones to re-use in a small pill bottle with a cap, as oftentimes the residual is sufficient, unless you are having to remove a bunch of old gunk. A little goes a long way. Then I usually remove it with a fresh Q-tip, then gently press the coin between layers of soft Kleenex.
    Is this correct? I don't know. I don't have a camel hair brush like EAC pros - and I'm guessing that's really only used to brush coins that already have a little bit applied to the coin already - using what, I don't know. They certainly aren't dipping those big brushes into those tiny bottles!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you actually have the old formula of either, it should be rolled from the tip of a cotton swab. And very sparingly. The intended purpose as a conditioner and preservative only requires a very thin film on the surface of the coin. It doesn't have to be slapped on like lacquer. It was sold in 2 ounce bottles for obvious reasons.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭
    I have a little from an old bottle of CARE. I was told to swish it in 91 percent isopropyl alcohol afterwards to remove the glossy, oily look but then it looks like it did before the Care. I didn't like that result so thought maybe I could leave it on. Thoughts ?
    As long as you are not planning to submit the coin for grading/authentication, it won't harm the coin to leave the conditioner on it. I would suggest not storing the coin in any kind of plastic holder though, to eliminate the possibility of any of the volatile organic element of Blue Ribbon or Care from reacting with the plastic. Probably best to use the cotton liner that fits into a paper coin envelope. The solvent element of vintage Care and Blue Ribbon is essentially what is known as ether.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No jokes, just how does one apply it? Do you have to do anything once you remove the excess, etc? >>

Has anyone test tried on a Zincoln blue ribbon then acetone rinse?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither Blue Ribbon nor Care are produced any more. Blue Ribbon shows up from time to time. I've seen individual bottles on eBay sell from $40 to as much as $150. I don't think I've ever seen a bottle of the original Care. I went looking for a picture online a while ago and I couldn't find even that.
  • superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭
    An EAC member in my area gave me what was left in his bottle. I have maybe 15cc left :-)
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found some a bit ago but sold all of it or most of it to some here. I did keep two or three bottles for me but use it only when i need to. image dont rub roll is right.

Hoard the keys.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin Care is still available, at least through our supplier, unless CARE is a different product.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to hear about camel hair brushes being used as they were softer than the cotton swabs. (Never used it myself as I never got into old coppers.)
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coin Care is still available, at least through our supplier, unless CARE is a different product. >>

Yes, it's different. Coin Care looks and smells like 3 in One light machine oil. CARE was heavy on the CFC's and probably
    some other unsafe chemicals and was banned from the marketplace many years ago. The original Blue Ribbon in the brown
    bottles was 'almost as good' as CARE, according to the old timers. It was then reformulated and diluted down (probably to meet
    regulatory compliance) and distributed in clear bottles, at which point it was nearly worthless on coins, but probably safe to drink image

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Everything you would ever need to know about trichloroethane, the main ingredient of vintage Care and Blue Ribbon. Banned from use in many non-essential consumer products since about 1990. A printout of the link here would be advisable if you have any of the vintage coin conditioner and use it ocassionally.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the original Blue Ribbon on old, raw copper. I apply it with a Q-tip, massage gently with a clean one, and finally dust it with a camel hair brush.

FWIW, I know it is one of the Secure Plus banned substances and that the Sniffer is sometimes used outside of SP, but I have never had a coin BB for Blue Ribbon.
    Lance.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You dirty coin doctors! image

Edit: Apologies, I missed the "no jokes" part.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file