Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Software for your collection???

I have tried different programs for card collections. now I have about five Excel Spreadsheets to keep track of my collection.

I'm not sure where I found the link, but I found Sportscard Organizer 3. It is fantastic!!! You can keep track of cards, boxes, and memorabilias.

Plus you can add any type of categories (football, baseball, basket ball,wrestling, non-sports...etc It gives you a free 30 day trial to check it out. I have spent the last 2 1/2 days

entering my collection. I bought the program for $30 after the first day...lol. Anyway, you can check it out at www.sportscardorganizer.com sorry about the link. One last thing,

I DO NOT receive anything for advertising this program. I just wanted to share an awesome program to keep track of my collection.

Thanks,
Doug

Comments

• Options
    unfortunately not supported for Mac. image
  • Options

<< <i>unfortunately not supported for Mac. image >>

Right, I saw that.

Doug
  • Options
    ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    Thanks for sharing. I will check it out.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I'll check out the program to see how it works. Thanks for the link.

Off-hand, the only criticism I think I'll have is that this program will only be on my local PC so I won't have access to view my collection while I'm roaming around the world. Companion mobile application with dropbox would be a big win.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    I would be interested in a program like this to track what I buy, but there are a couple of flaws I potentially see with this program:

1. There doesn't appear to be an import function in the program, whereby you can import your lists that you are keeping track of in excel.
    2. It seems as though you have to enter the majority of the detail manually. For example, the program doesn't appear to know that 1952 Topps #311 is Mickey Mantle. You have to go into that card number and assign the player name.

If there's a program that already has a pre-populated database of checklists and an import function, that would be awesome.
  • Options

<< <i>I would be interested in a program like this to track what I buy, but there are a couple of flaws I potentially see with this program:

1. There doesn't appear to be an import function in the program, whereby you can import your lists that you are keeping track of in excel.
    2. It seems as though you have to enter the majority of the detail manually. For example, the program doesn't appear to know that 1952 Topps #311 is Mickey Mantle. You have to go into that card number and assign the player name.

If there's a program that already has a pre-populated database of checklists and an import function, that would be awesome. >>

Yea, you have to enter manually, thats what I have been doing for three days, lol. Some of my collection are the same player so once I get them, they are there. I don't like the feature where you have to put a price in when adding details. I put $1 for every card!

It is not a perfect program, but I kike it better than five different excel spreadsheets. Out of all the programs I have tried, this is the best one for me.

Doug
  • Options
    You do realize that you can do all this already on VCP for free as a limited member. You can
    create your entire collection up to 1999. Then when you want to know a value you can become
    a VIP for a day or month or year. Plus it works on all computers and cell phones with browsers.
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I have used Excel spreadsheets to provide checklists for my collection for years. Once it really got clunky in 2011, I decided to write a front end program which allows me to manipulate the spreadsheets without having to open any spreadsheet. This greatly helps in searching for the card to update and editing a field in the program to reflect quantity or condition.

I still edit the spreadsheets to install new sets/checklists but the software helped preserve my sanity and has been able to help me detail what I have much better.

The program that was written is only PC compatible at this point but I am thinking of getting it ported to IOS and Android and making a larger program out of it.

One big problem though is the absolutely proliferation of available cards, parallels, etc. While the # of items produced in a year is finite, its a heck of a lot of stuff to itemize within a checklist.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options

<< <i>You do realize that you can do all this already on VCP for free as a limited member. You can
    create your entire collection up to 1999. Then when you want to know a value you can become
    a VIP for a day or month or year. Plus it works on all computers and cell phones with browsers. >>

I am a member...why nothing past 1999. Also some sets not in the data. I do ask via email and do not get a reply all the time back why or why not to add a set. I get you can't do all of them. But at times I have gaps in data and want that. I use your site often and have been a member since 2012
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    For years I used Collector's Authority, an online database that was running off of donations. I think they closed down about 6-7 years ago, taking my hours of work with them. I'm sort of gun shy into using a database that can't handle the excel format. Some of the same issues others have stated apply to me. There also needs to be a quanity listing with graded inf that may or not apply. And the biggest point is to have the sets prepopulated with names, a must.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You do realize that you can do all this already on VCP for free as a limited member. You can
    a VIP for a day or month or year. Plus it works on all computers and cell phones with browsers. >>

Does VCP allow us to import from an excel spreadsheet? That would be great if it does--I'll have to go check.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I know this is going off the original topic of the thread and more on to VCP, however, I subscribed to VCP once briefly. I could not find hardly any of the cards I was looking for in the tool and found the site difficult to search/navigate. Of the few cards i did find, there were sales I knew of (because I was the purchaser) which were not listed. I think I need a tutorial or something...
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options

<< <i>I know this is going off the original topic of the thread and more on to VCP, however, I subscribed to VCP once briefly. I could not find hardly any of the cards I was looking for in the tool and found the site difficult to search/navigate. Of the few cards i did find, there were sales I knew of (because I was the purchaser) which were not listed. I think I need a tutorial or something... >>

It took me a while to learn. I do know sales fall thru the cracks. But for the price it pays for itself for me. Happy with.
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I have decided to make my software available in hopes to get feedback from other collector's as I am considering re-writing this application as an iPad/iPhone/Android app.

I have put it on my website and include a readme file to assist during installation and use of the software.

The file provided details most 1948 through 1969 Topps, Bowman, Fleer, and Leaf major issues and subsets. The file is by no means comprehensive but is a good start - especially to someone who performs a number of searches within their own spreadsheets today.

There are a few constraints defined in the readme file to keep the data in a rigid format so the program can read and manipulate it based on your search criteria. These constraints need to be followed to maintain the standard format of the file.

I have files for all major issues from 1900- Present but figure I would start off with this snippet first.

The file can be downloaded from the Collector's Software link on my webpage below.

I welcome feedback.

Thanks

Mike Bouchard
    flcardtrader@comcast.net
    http://home.comcast.net/~flcardtrader/
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store