Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: 2 Greeks, 2 Romans

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
Continuing to stray into this theme, focusing on what appeals to me. Also began reading and getting a feel for the different designs, regions etc. The Seleucid Alexander I Balas has arrived and is simply superb in appearance and eye appeal. Thick planchet and very sharp detail. Hopefully my multiple attempts with the pocket cam got the better of the coin. The 2 Romans in hand seem that they just came out of the "mint" - not as drawn into the Roman designs, yet these two were superb - look at the beards, forehead etc in terms of the details. I was able to move some duplicate Talers which allowed me to purchases these + Another cool coin which I will write up separately.

My first "raw" purchase in this 2nd Macedonian Kingdom Alexander the Great Tetradrachm. Gambled on what seemed to be a choice coin sent it to NGC and just received. Very nice patina.

Kingdom of Macedon. Alexander III The Great, ca 336-323 BC. Early Posthumous Issue Amphipolis. AR Tetradrachm. 25mm, 17.07g. Price 132; Mueller 549. Obv: Head of Herakles right, in lion skin headdress. Rev: ALEXANDROY, Zeus seated left, holding eagle and sceptre; wreath in left field, ÐÏ beneath throne. Super choice piece with beautiful rich patina. NGC Ch. AU 5/5, 5/5.

Seleucid Kingdom. Alexander I Balas. AR Tetradrachm. 152-145 BC. Antioch Mint. 30mm, 16.65gr. SC 1781.1h. SMA 156. Obv: Diademed head of Alexander I right / BAÓIËEÙÓ AËEÎANÄPOY ÈEOÐATOPOÓ EYEPÃETOY. Rev: Zeus enthroned left, holding scepter in left hand and with right, Nike crowning him, monogram in exergue. NGC Ch AU 5/5, 4/5. Super eye appeal and detail on a large planchet.

And Nike:

Got these two Caracalla Denarius/Double Denarius presented as a pair and I was amazed by the sharpness of the detail. I figured these do not pop up as often in such condition.

Roman Empire. Caracalla AR Denarius. Rome, 198-217 AD. 18mm, 3.28g. Obv: Laureate head right. Rev: Fides standing left, holding two standards. RIC IV 267; RSC 316. Superbly struck coin, immaculate state of preservation. NGC Ch MS 5/5, 5/5.

Roman Empire. Caracalla 198-217 AD. Rome Mint. AR Double Denarius. 23mm, 6.12gr. Obv: Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Caracalla right. Rev: Serapis standing facing, head left, extending hand and holding scepter. RIC 263d; BMC 128; RSC 295b. In hand this coin looks as if it was struck today. Superb detail and style. MS 5/5, 5/5, Fine Style.

Comments