Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How Old is this Little White ANACS Holder?

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
Never remember seeing a PK serial number, but I usually only have old little white slabbed error coins.

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Older than the ones that came after with all numbers. These earlier ones have 2 letters followed by 4 digits and are probably 25 years old, give or take a couple of years.

Here's one I picked up at our monthly coin club auction recently:

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    about 20-22 years old.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest 22-25 years old

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the second type of slab produced when Amos Press took over ANACS. The dollar shows peripheral toning common to Morgan dollars in these slabs.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's the second type of slab produced when Amos Press took over ANACS. The dollar shows peripheral toning common to Morgan dollars in these slabs. >>

What was the first?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old ANA blue label slabs, then these, then the usual small Anacs slabs.
  • Options
    Different front and back labels.

Edited to add ... here is an example (I don't have a good image of one handy).
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to Conder101's reference book: "ANACS 12. This is the first variety issued after Amos Press of Sidney OH assumed ownership of ANACS. The most notable change is in the hologram on the reverse. The new ANACS logo appears twice and has a red or red-gold appearance. On the front the underprinting is now green rather than blue and simply says ANACS." This holder was used until sometime in 1991 or 1992. The book has a picture of a 1921 MS 63 Morgan in this type holder with the SN: PK3523.

For what it's worth, I owned the coin you have pictured several years ago.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for the information, that's why this place is so great.

Michael, it has been more than a few years, and if you like, your could own it again image
  • Options

<< <i>Different front and back labels.

Edited to add ... here is an example (I don't have a good image of one handy). >>

Ah, thanks.
    I have a 1931-D MS63RB and an 1883-O MS63 Morgan in one of those.
    Comparing to a 1912 MS64RB in an old white ANACS holder, it is a little bit smaller than the latter....but the latter is all numbers for the serial.

I had never noticed the slab size difference as, to me, they were all "small old white ANACS holders". I knew the serial number difference, and even the hologram difference, but hadn't paid attention to the blue type vs the green type nor the actual holder size.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    In 1989 ANACS discontinued issuing photo certificates and began encapsulating coins in tamper evident plastic holders. A year later, the ANA board of governors sold ANACS to Amos Press, publishers of Coin World.

As already indicated, your slab is from the period of time that ANACS was owned by Amos, so it is post 1990, but the time period 1990-1992 already indicated is, IMO, a very accurate estimate.

ANACS has an 'alpha conversion' chart that lists all the two letter prefixes that were used. The conversion chart is need to use the ANACS slab verification page. The conversion chart is located here:

ANACS 'alpha conversion' chart for old white slabs

This is an example of the first type of plastic holders used by ANACS beginning in 1989 and used until the sale to Amos Press. Apologize for the sticker residue over the gold hologram on reverse. Picture taken before I learned the magic of Goo Gone from these boards!

imageimage

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options

<< <i>According to Conder101's reference book: "ANACS 12. This is the first variety issued after Amos Press of Sidney OH assumed ownership of ANACS. The most notable change is in the hologram on the reverse. The new ANACS logo appears twice and has a red or red-gold appearance. On the front the underprinting is now green rather than blue and simply says ANACS." This holder was used until sometime in 1991 or 1992. The book has a picture of a 1921 MS 63 Morgan in this type holder with the SN: PK3523.

For what it's worth, I owned the coin you have pictured several years ago. >>

Michael,

I know the PCGS and NGC slab generations threads are on this board, but since Conder101 has been banned (while he does post on the NGC boards), they can't really be updated by him. But, what about ANACS generations?
    I don't have the book, and it was before my time.....anything online for the ANACS generations (besides maybe Capt Henway? image )?

What's the name of the book?

And, Greg.....wow! That is a super useful bit of knowledge for what the serial alpha-numeric translate to, that I never knew...and the verification site! Is that somewhat new? (Thanks to EBay's forcing verification in order for slabbed coins to be sold....)

Pretty cool!

• Options
    Conder101's book goes by the cumbersome name, "Third Party Grading/Certification Services & Slab/Certificate Varieties"

After the twenty-cent piece site is up and running the next project is a site on slabs.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS' site lists 22 2-letter pairs that they map to numbers in their database by prefixing the four digits with one or two.

I've been hunting eBay to actually map them to their holograms (ANA vs. Amos). I've found

13 of them are ANA (CD, JK, KP, LO, LP, MJ, NJ, RD, TR, TS, WD, WF, WR)

6 are Amos (EX, PG, PK, RE, SC, ZD)

I'm still hunting three (SX, WE, XA)

It's obvious that they do not map to the sequence of grading (can't say that CD was first and NJ later) - I have not been able to find any indication of which came first.

There is also some potential for collisions in the ANACS database with low serial # Amos slabs, because for example CDxxxx maps (per the table) to 1xxxx yet I know that 761 is a valid serial # in the database.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

The dollar I posted above starts w/ "WE"

I also had the coin below that started with "SX"

What info do you need?

imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the contribution: given the green label and the "A" internal embossing (vs. the ANA lamp) both are Amos. Thanks! (I also picked up SX0060 today at Cowtown).
    -----Burton
  • Options

<< <i>ANACS' site lists 22 2-letter pairs that they map to numbers in their database by prefixing the four digits with one or two.

I've been hunting eBay to actually map them to their holograms (ANA vs. Amos). I've found

It's obvious that they do not map to the sequence of grading (can't say that CD was first and NJ later) - I have not been able to find any indication of which came first.

There is also some potential for collisions in the ANACS database with low serial # Amos slabs, because for example CDxxxx maps (per the table) to 1xxxx yet I know that 761 is a valid serial # in the database. >>

Very interesting....thanks for the info.
    The 3 I have in my hand right now are TS and WD (ANA) and ZD (Amos).

I think it is an interesting little bit of history with these slabs....akin to doilies or rattlers with PCGS (different size/look that are distinctive vs just a label or small change.....)

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old ANACS and ANA holders are the best ever! I wish the other two would jump on the bandwagon.
  • Options
    I just found a holder/label I cracked out last year to submit to PCGS.

WAS a 1879 MS62 Morgan $ with the serial: WE5171 (black hologram on back, so would be Amos).
    Now 1879 MS62 Morgan $ PCGS (had cool toning and I wanted it in the host's plastic for consistency. I actually believe I bought it from the original submitter at a small local coin show.
    Person was a collector selling off the remains of his collection for some reason (age/retirement/wanting something....I forget as he was telling folks at the table). He didn't have a lot of selection, but I did pick up some older Morgans for ~$50 each, and this was one of them.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its still good to see the old white holders.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I swear that I had one of these lettered ANACS slabs but just looked and can't find it. Now I'm thinking that I returned it.....vaguely. But do have one with only 3 numbers, "334" with my pop 2 1950-D MS66 6 steps. Does that mean it was the three hundredth and thirty fourth coin ever encapsulated by ANACS?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    No. Sorry. The ANA and 1st cycle of Amos slabs are XXnnnn. It APPEARS that when Amos switched from letters to numbers, they started at some low number...

By my count there were 13 (or 14) ANA sets and 9 (or 8) Amos. So that would be 22*9999 or up to 220,000 coins ahead of you (and me)...
    -----Burton
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess someone would need to do their homework thoroughly before spending hundreds on a very low serial # slab. image

Leo

edit to add; I can't imagine there's a slab out there with the number "1".........they had to be more creative than that?

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    greattoning has the first ANACS slabbed coin. Or, at least he did as of about a year or so ago when we talked about it.

peacockcoins

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    A little more info about these ANACS holders. Back to early 90s, when neither PCGS nor NGC accepted coin submissions from collectors, ANACS is the only leading service to accept submissions from collectors so that we all submitted to ANACS at the time since too many rumors to talk about coin switching by dis-honest folks. Also, ANACS had grader(s) on site in large coin shows to give you opinion since early 90s and thus you won't waste money to submit problem coins.

I believe many such type of holders are still in collectors' hands.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose I need to look at some of ANACS and NGC oldies and determine which generation holder they are

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Picked up a roll of Morgans in the little old white ANACS holders... thought they were neat and all of them match pretty well, all have at least a little toning (maybe from the holders themselves) but some have more than others. Will try to keep them together if possible I think. Hard to get decent pics of all at once image

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about this old school ANACS slab?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not an ANACS slab.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ANACS' site lists 22 2-letter pairs that they map to numbers in their database by prefixing the four digits with one or two.

There is also some potential for collisions in the ANACS database with low serial # Amos slabs, because for example CDxxxx maps (per the table) to 1xxxx yet I know that 761 is a valid serial # in the database. >>

The 'XA' numbers were the first ones graded, in 1989 (beginning in February, I believe). They were used
    for Express submissions.

Pretty sure 'PK' was issued in 1991.
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all of this info.
    I have been working on a type set of these holders and trying to find all of the letter designation is kind of hard to put together.
    Not to mention a time line of when they were issued.

But I have listed them with pictures ATS and had alot of good comments on the set of different holders/labels that ANACS has use on the small white holders (or soap bar holders as some would call them)

Here is a link to the thread:
    ANACS swh

I hope you will go over and look at them.

Also if you want to know anymore about the ANACS Photo Certs you can google "ANACS Photo Certs" and a PDF file will come up and you can down load it and print it.
    Bob

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>greattoning has the first ANACS slabbed coin. Or, at least he did as of about a year or so ago when we talked about it. >>

Is there a pic of that?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ones with the gold foil hologram on the reverse are usually the most desirable....and typically graded more conservatively that what you see today. I've yet to personally see one of those over-graded. Most of the coins in those holders tend to be common BU silver dollars, Mercs, Walkers, Washington quarters, Buffs, and Lincolns.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great thread

Why was Conder banned?
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

OLD THREAD ALERT

The link that @greghansen provided for the ANACS alpha-numeric cert number conversion chart which listed all 22 of the starting numbers (CD, EX, JK, etc...) appears to be dead. The link I had in my bookmarks (likely the same one) is also dead.

I wasn't able to locate it on ANACS website.

Wondering if anyone here saved it off in a Word doc and would be able to share it?

Thanks,

Jeff/cecropiamoth

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2019 7:52AM

Sorry Jeff I dont have that for you, I got a few slabes, resnapping a few shots!

Not sure about the Vam sticker came with the coin when I bought it but these are the only 3 I have.

• Options
    86Saab86Saab Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

@cecropiamoth Is this the info you are looking for? @BStrauss3 emailed me the link from the web archives.

https://web.archive.org/web/20181016023135/http:/www.anacs.com/contentPages/BarCode.aspx

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@86Saab

Thank you! That was what I couldn't find on the ANACS website anymore. Appreciate that.

Jeff

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file